Page 1 of 2
My music teacher regularly makes us perform in front of the class, and as my music taste is that way inclined I almost always play metal of sorts. My teacher didn't like this, and as such told me that the next performance I do can't be metal of any sort.

My question to you: what do I play? It should still be played on electric guitar, as I don't have an acoustic, and still wants to be reasonably technical. I don't care of genre, as long as the parts are reasonably technical and show off 'skill'.

Thx 4 teh answers.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Play some bluesy stuff with a lot of vibrato! :P
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Any jazz songs or artists I should look at in particular? Never really played much jazz before so I'm gonna be new to all the dodgy chord shapes
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Try the Animal by Steve Vai, probably one of Vai's lesser challenging songs (it's still pretty tough)
you could try playing some animals as leaders stuff like point to point or on impulse which are pretty complexe, mixture of jazz and metal
another guy here for cliffs of dover. That song is just incredible. Steve vai is also a good choice, even Satch (surfing with the alien is legendary) or some of John Petrucci's solo stuff. Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss is one of my faves.
how about some neoclassical ala Igor Stravinsky. something like the second part of firebird would be pretty bad ass.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
I think Jazz is your best bet. Theres some great Jazz guitarists out there. Id youtube good jazz guitarists, and then find some good songs
Quote by Wisthekiller
Cliffs of Dover.

Even though I don't think this is super-technical, it was the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

And, JOE SATRIANI.

Not metal, and hes by far the greatest of all time. (My opinion, don't hate on me)
Where's Waldo?
Learn some Brian Setzer. Chet Atkins stuff is pretty hard. Frank Zappa is very challenging. There is this young guy from Australia, Smokin Joe Robison, who has some insane songs that are far from metal, but most metal guys I know apreciate his style.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
blue powder by steve vai
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Learn some Brian Setzer. Chet Atkins stuff is pretty hard.

+111111111111 to that. Hank Garland and Wes Montgomery are also worth checking out. Old country, blues, and rockabilly are a ton of fun to play and you'll learn a lot from doing it. If you can learn by ear Setzer just did an entire album of instrumental covers of country/rock/jazz that's just dripping with perfect, beautiful, technical goodness. Once I realized how good that stuff sound I pretty much stopped listening to metal.
some jazz-fusion

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
jimi hendrix?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Just to piss him off, I'd tape together two spoons and improv. on them for twenty minutes.
That's the reason I quit my guitar lessons, if they're not gonna let you be you what's the use? *shrug*You can try a classical piece, I guess. I personally love Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and I'm a metalhead, Cirith Ungol did a cover of the Toccata using just an electric, a really cheesy-sounding keyboard and a bass, and I can play most of it, so presumably it's not THAT hard. But if I were you I'd go up and play some, like, Morbid Angel or Messiah or Sacrifice just to tick him off. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
He sounds like a dick. If that's what you want to play you should have a right to. Regardless, Jazz or Classical
Something by Brad Paisley. He's a country musician, but he's a ****ing good guitarist by any standards. He's got some spaghetti western-themed instrumentals that really kick ass, such as "Spaghetti Western Swing" and "Eastwood."
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
Something by Brad Paisley. He's a country musician, but he's a ****ing good guitarist by any standards. He's got some spaghetti western-themed instrumentals that really kick ass, such as "Spaghetti Western Swing" and "Eastwood."

Yeah, I don't really like country, but Brad Paisley is a Fu@king ripper!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
freeway jam by jeff beck

use of vibrato and bends and challenging lines

even more so if you can play it only with your thumb like jeff beck does
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Try some less heavy Rush or something jazzy or some classical music. Rush is probably one of the less heavy prog bands along with Yes and they're both pretty technically impressive without being as hard as Vai, Satch or any other virtuoso players in their style. Jazz is also good if you're adventurous and want to step outside of the boundaries of blues based music like rock and metal just try something with a lot of guitar and minimal horns unless you're going to be backed.Like jazz fusion. Classical may be better suited for someone that is more comfortable playing fingersyle on a nylon string guitar but you can try it. If you are not content with trying anything new than quit but always keep in mind it is always good to broaden your musical horizons.
Last edited by musicman14579 at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
He sounds like a dick. If that's what you want to play you should have a right to.

Yeah, because a teacher is paid to just sit by and watch you play music you already know how to play! What an asshole teacher for expecting his students to learn new things! He sucks!
Almost anything by pre-1980s Yes. Start with the classics - Roundabout, Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People, etc.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
pick anything by the casualties.
hardcore punk, and its ALMOST metal.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Basically your teacher wants you to play some jazz.

Also your teacher is shit. No music teacher should demand their students play a certain style of music unless you're talking about classical.
Normally I would recommend "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush, as it's complex, fun to play and to most people isn't metal, but your dickfuck teacher probably can't tell the difference between Rush and TV static. Hell, through his ears Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover" would probably sound like "Bite the Hand" by Brutal Truth.

So the best thing to do is find some complex free-form Jazz song or dig up some Chet Atkins and play that, if you really want to do something complex. I mean, you could try to convince him to let you play Rush or Steve Vai, but don't expect to get away with it.
if you can use a backing track and have a guitar with a good trem, try lotus feet by steve vai. its a beautiful song and would really show off your use of dynamics.
Dude. dude dude dude dude dude.

Dude dude dude dude dude

DUDE

Rhode Island Shred by Guthrie Govan.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Dude. dude dude dude dude dude.

Dude dude dude dude dude

DUDE

Rhode Island Shred by Guthrie Govan.

Not to be off-topic or anything but that song reminds me of those Kirby video games for some reason. If you can pull that off you'd be my idol. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Actually, to be safe I suggest you leave out any song that involves a distorted guitar tone. Metal or not.
Anything by the Grateful Dead is really amazing and you can improv on the jams and solos and add hammers and whatever you want as long as your in the key of the song
In the jazz fusion category, I'd check out something from Return To Forever, or the solo work of their guitarist, Al Di Meola. "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway" is a classic jazz fusion song that will appeal to the shredder in you.

Another great jazz fusion guitarist of that era to look into would be Mahavishnu John McLaughlin.

Shawn Lane has some great tunes, but he's very fast and shreddy- he may come across as too rock.

I'd suggest Charlie Hunter, but he's into custom 7 & 8 strings with bass strings on the low end, so his stuff may not be playable without similar gear.

Prog master Robert Fripp (King Crimson, League of Crafty Guitarists, others) would show off your chops in a non-metal style, but he uses his own tuning almost exclusively: CGDAEG. His students in California Guitar Trio offer the same quality and the same issue.

The last 2 albums done by Michael Hedges feature some incredible songs, but like Kaki King, you'd find a lot may be in alternative tunings and may not translate as well to electric.

A last note: Alex Skolnick (of Testament fame) went through a jazz phase and to date has released 4 albums (I haven't heard the 2011 one, Veritas, but the first 3 KILL) of jazz originals and jazz versions of metal tunes. You may find some guidance & inspiration there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Skolnick_Trio
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Page 1 of 2