I'm terrible when it comes to customizing my tone with my strat, still don't have a grasp on pickup selection and tone knob and what not....

Anyway, how could I get this tone? I want specifics if possible though , Pickup, Pedals, Amp, anything, I needa know XD

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6MIuXrFf8

The main riff which starts 0:50

BUT PRIMARILY: at 4:21

Thanks!
Get a Line 6 Spider
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Just put on some distortion and turn the pickup selector to the bridge pickup, maybe add more treble than you have bass, and also add lots of mid for the part at 4:21
    Last edited by happypacman at Jul 10, 2011,
    Quote by happypacman
    Just put on some distortion and turn the pickup selector to the bridge pickup, maybe add more treble than you have bass, and also add lots of mid for the part at 4:21

thanks
    You didn't mention what kind of Strat you're using. I have an HSS Strat, which has a humbucker in it and that's what you really need to get the basic tone. If you're stuck with an SSS Strat (3 singles) and assuming you have a 5 position pickup switch, then use the neck pickup alone, or the neck and middle, combined setting. Set your tone knobs smack in the middle, so that the tone is a little on the bassy side. That's about the best you can do to simulate a humbucker on a Strat, without a major rewiring job.

You didn't mention what kind of amp you have. That would be good to know, but a tube amp would be preferable, because Page played through Marshalls, mostly, in that Zeppelin era. If your amp is solid-state, then get a good overdrive pedal, like the Boss Blues Driver, which can simulate an overdriven tube amp tone (and it's a killer in a real all-tube amp!). You want a vintage overdrive sound, and not a modern metal tone, for the most accurate tonal qualities.

The riff at 4:21 involves a 12-string, so I would assume that Page was playing his Gibson SG double neck on that song. Double neck guitars are insanely expensive -- far out of the wallet range of most of us. But, there is an effect that can simulate a 12-string very well and that is the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter. You can check it out at: www.bossus.com. Don't know what they run, as far as price, but it'll still be much cheaper than buying a double neck axe.
    Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
    Quote by Dawgman51
    You didn't mention what kind of Strat you're using. I have an HSS Strat, which has a humbucker in it and that's what you really need to get the basic tone. If you're stuck with an SSS Strat (3 singles) and assuming you have a 5 position pickup switch, then use the neck pickup alone, or the neck and middle, combined setting. Set your tone knobs smack in the middle, so that the tone is a little on the bassy side. That's about the best you can do to simulate a humbucker on a Strat, without a major rewiring job.

You didn't mention what kind of amp you have. That would be good to know, but a tube amp would be preferable, because Page played through Marshalls, mostly, in that Zeppelin era. If your amp is solid-state, then get a good overdrive pedal, like the Boss Blues Driver, which can simulate an overdriven tube amp tone (and it's a killer in a real all-tube amp!). You want a vintage overdrive sound, and not a modern metal tone, for the most accurate tonal qualities.

The riff at 4:21 involves a 12-string, so I would assume that Page was playing his Gibson SG double neck on that song. Double neck guitars are insanely expensive -- far out of the wallet range of most of us. But, there is an effect that can simulate a 12-string very well and that is the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter. You can check it out at: www.bossus.com. Don't know what they run, as far as price, but it'll still be much cheaper than buying a double neck axe.

okay thanks for the help!
    GIBSON double necks are insanely expensive. you could find a used Epiphone, a Galveston, or an Agile for a reasonable price easily
    Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
    what kind of amp do you have?

Yup, what do u have? just curious about that.
    Jimmy Page often used split humbuckers and Telecasters and it sounds like that's the case with that song. I would guess a bridge humbucker split for msot of the song except part of the solo which sounds more like the neck humbucker in full mode. With a regular SSS Strat just the bridge pickup by itself should be fine, maybe use the middle pickup by itself if your guitar happens to be very bright-toned. The neck pickup would be fine for the thicker part of the tone, maybe use the neck+middle combination. A big plexi head would be the best amp to go with although anything from a Fender Hot Rod to a JCM2000 or Orange rocker series would get you close. So long as you get something all-tube and mid-gain you're set really, just stay away from modern 'metal' heads and lower gain Fender and Vox style amps. Set up for a lot of mids, medium bass and treble. You'll want speakers with a pretty classic design, greenbacks are the obvious choice. I don't see the need for any pedals particularly.
    Quote by happypacman

This, but an OD pedal seems fitting. About 4:21, did you mean the clean or lead sound? For the clean just use some reverb, tremolo, lower the mids and increase the bass to about 2:00(on amp knob). For the lead sound, some OD and the bridge position of a guitar. For a strat use the bridge/middle position and do what happypacman said.
    Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
    Quote by Dawgman51

a) I'm not convinced that's a 12 string, sounds more just like chorus, reverb, tremolo or some combo of those to me
    b) The Boss PS-5 Super Shifter does whammy effects... Not what he wants at all

And even if it does use a 12 string he could get a passable copy of that on a strat using the neck or neck and middle pup with the treble rolled off a bit.

As for the lead tone bridge and mid pickup, however I can't really tell you more than that without knowing your amp
    RIP Gooze

cats