Hey all, so I'm looking at getting a Telecastor to mix up my collection consisting of a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT1, Fender American Strat and a Tony Iommi Epi SG. I'm after the sort of early Stones tone, and figured a Tele would be best for this - I'm using a Marshall AVT at the minute, would you guys recommend anything for that Keith Richards tone? No budget in mind yet, just looking into it.

Thanks!
Start with truckloads of booze, dope and cigarettes over a lifetime. Then you'll have laid the necessary foundation.

After that, Keef is famous for playing his Telecasters with only five strings. He cuts the high "E" string off - he simply does not need it. He tunes his main Telecaster to open "G" (well; sort of, since he cuts the string off): G, D, G, B, D low to high. He uses Ernie Ball Slinkies, as I recall. His main Telecasters are Tele Deluxes (or Frankenstein versions of the Deluxe) with a humbucker in the neck position. As for amplifiers, Keef uses old fender tube amps - Twins and Bassmans. Get a vintage reissue of either one and the above-listed guitar; throw in the lifetime of substance abuse and you're set. He's used a tape echo, an MXR phaser and the odd boost pedal and flanger for effects.

It's only rock & roll...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 10, 2011,
A lot of Keith Richards' sound comes from the bright twanginess of single coils. A Tele would be ideal but for now it would probably be worth upgrading your amp and sticking with your strat.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
how old are we talking? in the early 60s keith used a variety of guitars including a LP and a 335. the stones used vox amps in the early days as well.
Quote by FatalGear41
Start with truckloads of booze, dope and cigarettes over a lifetime. Then you'll have laid the necessary foundation.

After that, Keef is famous for playing his Telecasters with only five strings. He cuts the high "E" string off - he simply does not need it. He tunes his main Telecaster to open "G" (well; sort of, since he cuts the string off): G, D, G, B, D low to high. He uses Ernie Ball Slinkies, as I recall. His main Telecasters are Tele Deluxes (or Frankenstein versions of the Deluxe) with a humbucker in the neck position. As for amplifiers, Keef uses old fender tube amps - Twins and Bassmans. Get a vintage reissue of either one and the above-listed guitar; throw in the lifetime of substance abuse and you're set. He's used a tape echo, an MXR phaser and the odd boost pedal and flanger for effects.

It's only rock & roll...

This is it, sort of. The Telecaster (called "Micawber") that he tunes to Open G (sans the High E) is a normal Tele (Blonde with Black Pick-guard) modified to have a Gibson PAF in the neck (originally the bridge position on a 335). It is not a Tele Deluxe or a Tele Custom; they have Fender Wide Range Pickups and a different Pickguard. Micawber is practically only used for his rhythm parts, though. He also uses a lot of other teles, mostly SS for leads from earlier songs and an actual Telecaster Deluxe for the Stones' later catalog.

EDIT: Yeah, Keef had that guitar before Fender was even making Telecaster Deluxes.

Also; This might help TS.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 10, 2011,
ive heard he used a few LP type guitars with P90s in them as well, but yes, the tele would probably be your best bet honestly