Hey everybody, this is my first post and i desperately need a bit of help with my problem. I have been playing for about 7 years now and I have a Jackson RR3, for those of you who aren't familiar with it ill tell you a bit about it. It has a floyd rose floating bridge and of course locks at the nut as well and a 22 fret neck. I used to have it on standard tuning so i just restring it and tune it, but a few years ago i decided to tune a bit lower so i went to dropped c. I use regular d'addario strings even on this lower tuning. So when i tuned lower i knew i had to adjust the springs in the back and to my surprise it was pretty simple and worked out fine. A friend of mine wanted to trade me its neck for another jackson neck, this one has 24 frets and no locks on the nuts and im pretty sure it came from a soloist but im not sure, the headstock has 3 to a side tuning machines. I put strings on it and started tuning, but then i noticed something strange, the octaves werent matching up yet the fifth fret was the same as the open on the lower string. What is the problem and is their anything i can do to fix it, i really like how the neck looks on my guitar but im not going to sacrifice aesthetics for playability. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps. Im not much on guitar building but i have read many threads and see that their are alot of people with experience here.
Welcome to UG.
Its an intonation problem. Look it up on youtube, theres thousands of tutorials.

Oh, and you just Effed youself hard getting a neck with no locking nut on a guitar with a FR. Have fun.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
you cant add a 24 fret neck to a body made for 22 frets... that threw off your scale length. jackson necks are 25.5" scale.

Totally skipped over the part where he said that =p.
Where's Waldo?
swap your neck back.

for many reasons.

1. the serials will be different so resale will be a bitch explaining why you changed it
2. the neck you have may be warped/bowed and difficult to fix
3. the truss rod might be broken making it impossible to fix number 2
4. the machine heads might be $#!t and broke
5. does the new neck FEEL as good as the other one did or did you swap purely on aesthetics?

and finally

6. did you not try it out before you agreed to anything???

edit: as previously mentioned, your scale length has been f*cked up. congratulations.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 10, 2011,
No there is nothing that will fix it besides puting a 22 fret neck back on it. you can't just swap a 22 for a 24 fret neck like that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
you cant add a 24 fret neck to a body made for 22 frets... that threw off your scale length. jackson necks are 25.5" scale.

That's not exactly right, but it's what's happening here.

What I mean is that the number of frets isn't fixed with a certain scale length. Most Fenders have 21 or 22 frets and a 25,5 inch scale, and most Jackson share the same scale, but still have 24 frets. PRS's have a weird 25" scale on most of their guitars, but there's plenty of both 24-fret and 22-fret 'Smiths around. The Jackson Fusion series even had a 24,75", Gibson-style scale, but still had 24 frets. So, you CAN add a 24 fret neck on a guitar meant for 22 frets, given that the scale length is the same and the neck pickup doesn't come in the way of the elongated fretboard (it's obviously elongated if the scale length is the same). However, it would seem that here the neck's scale length is wrong.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Like everyone else said congrats. You know have a paper weight.

^^^ to the guy above- fenders have an extended fret board. These necks are completely different in the Jackson line-up. Not to be rude but your point was well.. pointless. The twelfth fret must be in the middle. And yes number of frets aren't fixed for a scale length.

OP take some measuring tape and measure from nut to bridge. Half way should be the twelfth fret. If it is off then you need your original neck back.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 10, 2011,
If the neck is from a soloist (or pretty much any Jackson) the scale length will still be 25.5, the same as your RR3, so you might be able to make it work. The difference could be where the holes are located in the neck. Since the person who has your old neck is a friend, you can probably get him to bring the neck over and compare the distance from the nut to the holes. You might be able to use the 'new' neck by drilling new holes. Your friend should be deeply interested in this, since he will behaving similar problems with the neck you gave him.
Trading guitar necks?
WTF?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Wow! I had no idea how much i had screwed myself there but no problem, the friend has actually had the same type of problems so he will be switching our necks again! Thanks to everyone who gave me replies. Definitely going to be a bit more careful with what i do to my guitars. Thanks again!
download the calculator in my sig, measure the size of the first fret from the nut and it will tell you exactly how far the bridge saddles need to be from the nut, if you can get it in the right position and glue it on (or bolt, or both) you wont have these problems