Page 1 of 2
So, here's a thread for your favourite idiosyncrasies of the human brain.

I'll start with the McGurk Effect.

Youtube

This ones really cool to show to friends. I had an entire room wtf'n.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.

/thread
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Fundamental Attribution Error
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_attribution_error

"When other people act like cunts it's because they are cunts. When I act like a cunt it's because I'm in too much of a hurry to deal with your cuntish behaviour."
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Depressive Realism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

The idea that depressed people are actually more accurate in their perception of themselves and the outside world than non-depressed people who are all somewhat deluded, which helps prevent them from becoming depressed.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by TheSecondRaid
Pinochio says:
"my nose is going to grow"

...what happens?

Well, since the nose growing is out of his control, and he is merely stating an idea of the future and not something he is in control of, it wouldn't grow.

He would be wrong, but not a liar.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.

Schrödinger's cat
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Last edited by That_Hot_Guy at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by MadClownDisease
Why are all your suggestions very much "you're all shit"? Is your name more than a name after all?
My username has always been an accurate description of everyone, except me, I'm obviously great.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype_threat

Woman do worse at tests when told they test mathematical ability. Likewise African-Americans perform worse at the same test when one group is told it tests general IQ and the other isn't.

EDIT:

For best results fullscreen the video and really try to get the number of passes right (protip, you won't). And don't read the comments, spoils the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfA3ivLK_tE
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by leeb rocks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype_threat

Woman do worse at tests when told they test mathematical ability. Likewise African-Americans perform worse at the same test when one group is told it tests general IQ and the other isn't.

Ok, somewhat related and I can't be arsed finding a link for something so specific, and I may be remembering this somewhat incorrectly, but the sociologist Herbert Spencer (the guy who coined the term "survival of the fittest", because he didn't understand Darwin) had a conception of intelligence that essentially meant that there was a fixed mental capacity and that some people's was taken up more with lower tasks such as reflexes whereas others were using more on higher mental tasks such as intellectual thinking. Others at the time felt that reflexes etc were related to ability at higher intelligence tasks. This essentially resulted in a great situation for budding eugenicists at the time who would do reflex tests on different races, and when they found that "lower" races such as blacks did worse they would explain it using the "reflexes correlate with intelligence" hypothesis and when they found that blacks did better they would use Spencer's idea that higher reflexes meant lower intelligence. Amazing catch 22.

Spencer was a cunt though, so fuck him.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
The following statement is true.

The previous statement is false.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Esperanza Spalding, Vulfpeck, Caravan Palace

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
The following statement is true.

The previous statement is false.

True and false is not an actual dichotomy. [True and not true] and [false and not false] are actual dichotomies. Hence, not everything is either true or false, but everything is either true or not true, or false and not false. Under the not true category, are things not proven true and things proven not to be true. Under the not false category are things proven false and things not proven not false.
That is the real mind****.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Mudmen190
True and false is not an actual dichotomy. [True and not true] and [false and not false] are actual dichotomies. Hence, not everything is either true or false, but everything is either true or not true, or false and not false. Under the not true category, are things not proven true and things proven not to be true. Under the not false category are things proven false and things not proven not false.
That is the real mind****.

I daren't do it any bigger, I know it's not insta-ban but I'm still scared But really, my head hurts.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What if Pinnochio said "My nose will grow"?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
What if Pinnochio said "My nose will grow"?

11th post brah.

Also, Shepard Tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugriWSmRxcM

Last edited by Trowzaa at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by thewho65
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert%27s_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

From what I remember, essentially how infinities fit within each other. I remember blowing people's minds with this in 8th grade or so.

I don't get it, of course a hotel with infinite rooms would hold infinite number of people

Quote by Trowzaa
I don't get it, of course a hotel with infinite rooms would hold infinite number of people

Don't worry if you don't get it. It uses the concept of infinity very flippantly.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Trowzaa

Now say you had to make room for infinite busloads of people, each bus carrying an infinite amount of people in them.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Now say you had to make room for infinite busloads of people, each bus carrying an infinite amount of people in them.

They'll fit. Another queer thing to think about infinity is simply that on googol is precisely as far from infinity as one is.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
They'll fit. Another queer thing to think about infinity is simply that on googol is precisely as far from infinity as one is.

That's not even half way true. Infinity is not a number, you can't be any distance from it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Page 1 of 2