(sorry for the rant, this is just really important to me in my songwriting journey and has been on my mind a lot lately)

For whatever reason almost all my songs have ended up being written in Drop D Flat. I suppose mainly because the guitar I was playing on at the time was tuned to that, and upon writing the song I had ended up hearing the song so much in that tuning that when I try to transpose it to Drop D or Drop C or Drop B or just whatever close by just to see if it might sound better in a different key, it just doesn't sound right. I have this haunting feeling that even though the song MAY have had more potential to sound better when transposed to different tuning (say Drop C for example), I screwed myself by adapting my ears so much to hearing it in Drop D Flat that I'll never know! I want the song to be as timeless as possible and be played with the guitar tuning that makes it sound the best.

Does this make any sense or am I just being weird here?

I'm really big into the idea that a certain song sounds best ONLY using one specific guitar tuning. I don't know if there's some kind of divine inspiration, or for whatever reason the notes you choose just sound best in a particular key. And I know a guitar tuning doesn't automatically force you to play in a certain key, but many riffs are dependent upon open/chugging strings (with the style that I write in at least).

I have plenty of electric guitars that I can mess with different tunings, so convenience (or lack thereof) of different tunings is not a problem, especially as I don't see myself playing these live in a set or anything any time soon. I'm just wanting to record them.

Does anyone share similar thoughts with me on this?

How do you decide what guitar tuning to use for a particular song? I don't want to just write all my songs in the same tuning JUST BECAUSE and for no other reason than because "that's the tuning our band uses!" or however you want to word that.

Thanks.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 10, 2011,
Personally I write everything in standard tuning, other than an occasional drop d, but I almost always use different keys for every song, it gets too stale imo to keep writing the same way using the same chords and strings for the same things, so I guess I'm the opposite of you haha.

If you find that you write songs in the same way, decide a key you will write a song in (other than D flat) and do it, if that means no chugging or riffs with certain open strings, work around it and write the song in another way, it'll be much more interesting I think.
I tune my instrument depending entirely on how I want to phrase things, really. I have enough range, so that's all that really matters.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
The reason all your songs are ending up in the same key is most likely because you write songs the same way every time. Chug chug low E string (or whatever low string you have there), random chugs on higher strings, back to low E string, etc.

I'd actually be more worried about all your songs being in the same KEY than the same tuning.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't think the tuning of the guitar will change a lot. The tuning of your guitar makes it mostly more easy or harder to play. If you're not convinced and really want to hear it for yourself, don't listen to or play the song for a while (couple of weeks) and listen to other music. Your ears will be 'reset'. Play it again in different tunings.

The key should be chosen according to the vocals. Transposing the song a half note lower or higher can make a big difference in the way the singer sings. If it's instrumental try to find the best possible sound of the melody. (ex.: the sound of E|-12- is completely different than D|-2-. Other fret+other snare)
lalala
Quote by fixatioindarknes
Which guitar tuning will suit X song the best? (input appreciated)

You can't calculate X without knowing the answer and the numbers of which guitar tuning will suit song the best?.
So what is the answer?
Serious answer check out the lowest note of the song.
If you can play that on your open E well then either drop your E to the lowest note in the song or tune to standard with the lowest note.
Say like lowest note is D you could either do drop D or D standard.
So... it's been about 5 or 6 days since I've listened to my music. Going for another week or two XD

Any other input?

Quote by liampje

Serious answer check out the lowest note of the song.
If you can play that on your open E well then either drop your E to the lowest note in the song or tune to standard with the lowest note.
Say like lowest note is D you could either do drop D or D standard.

But the lowest note of the song for me is always whatever the lowest note on my guitar is. I write on the guitar, not on sheet music XD
open G... play it with one finger you can hold the quill with the other 4.
only if you'v washed your hands!
Quote by MemaG
open G... play it with one finger you can hold the quill with the other 4.

Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.