Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find anything on the subject.
I can never get comfortable and this prevents me from sleeping.
I figure if you sleep how they did, you're sleeping in a natural position for the body which would probably reduce back pain

I would assume they'd lay on their sides kind of huddled, but I cant find anything to back it up
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Jul 10, 2011,
I bet they used boobs as pillows.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I find that I get back pain/have trouble sleeping only when I don't get enough exercise. Since early men had to walk everywhere and hunt for their food, I'm sure they got plenty of exercise and slept like babies.
Balls.
They were probably more concerned with not dying of exhaustion than they were with comfort.
Quote by ethan_hanus
On the ground? Is this a trick question? People back then didn't live long enough to worry about back pain, I think they were more concerned on weather or not they would have anything to eat that day.

Quote by cheames
They were probably more concerned with not dying of exhaustion than they were with comfort.

no shit? I had no idea.

You probably missed a few sentence in my first post.
smartasses
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
no shit? I had no idea.

smartasses

you mentioned none of those things in your first post.
sigh...
Quote by SKArface McDank
no shit? I had no idea.

smartasses

Well, if there is no information to back it up, then you must care about something that nobody else does, and it supports the fact that nobody back then cared enough either to write it down so you could read about how they slept.

Seriously dude, if you can't sleep, take a sleeping pill or something.
Sabretooth cat hearts.

Guess what they made covers with.

EDIT: inb4 guitars, bass and drums.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Quote by enceps
you mentioned none of those things in your first post.

thats because it's not the f*cking point. get it smarty?

Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, if there is no information to back it up, then you must care about something that nobody else does, and it supports the fact that nobody back then cared enough either to write it down so you could read about how they slept.

you... apparantly have the mental capacity of a nylon stocking. Please dont respond.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by ethan_hanus
On the ground? Is this a trick question? People back then didn't live long enough to worry about back pain, I think they were more concerned on weather or not they would have anything to eat that day.

Actually, if they survived childhood, cavemen typically lived longer than humans today. Like 70+ years. And they were fit/useful at that age, not like old people today.
In the fetal position. In the middle ages, however, it was common among nobility to sleep upright in bed, in a sitting position. The more you know.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
In the fetal position. In the middle ages, however, it was common among nobility to sleep upright in bed, in a sitting position. The more you know.

o.O Im talking about early homosapien

But yeah I was thinking fetal on their sides on some dry vegetation
- Carl Sagan
Well savannah populations would sleep in shelter if available, such as caves or overhanging rocks by a cliff face, but also they would sleep on the ground. Also commonly by a fire for warmth or to ward off potential predators.

Although sometimes, as evidence would show, they slept in elevated positions such as in trees. Our closest ape ancestors also slept in trees or elevated positions, because this elevated position was a natural protection from predators or bugs. Ever wonder why people commonly have Their bedrooms on the top floor?

However in respect to specifically how they slept, it was on an earth surface with somethig like animal hides under them as a bed or pillow. Or maybe even a rock or log to support their heads.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Gunpowder

Ya, the foetal position would seem to be a likely candidate. Chimps sleep huddled up like that.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Hanging upside-down in a tree.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I was gonna post a nice picture of a girl inside a dead camel (no idea if it's real or not), but I wont as I'm not sure if it's too.. y'know..

Anyway, they slept inside dead camels, as Family Guy proved
Probably in fetal position.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by SKArface McDank
Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find anything on the subject.
I can never get comfortable and this prevents me from sleeping.
I figure if you sleep how they did, you're sleeping in a natural position for the body which would probably reduce back pain

I would assume they'd lay on their sides kind of huddled, but I cant find anything to back it up

Since when does cave man=more natural=better for us?
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
no one said cave man.... EARLY HOMOSAPIEN.
Are you familiar with evolution? Adaptations?

There's a diet called the Paleo diet. You eat only what cave men ate, natural foods/meats, nothing processed or unnatural. It works because you're eating what the human body evolved eating.
- Carl Sagan
That's a fkin weird question dude. But i started to think if they were really sleeping on fetal position as everybody would think in the first place... That's when I remembered my last vacations thru Italy and my visit to the ruins of POMPEI....

I'm pretty sure you all know the history, Mount Vesubius exploded and then the explosion collapsed so fast, burning ashes covered the HUGE CITY in matter on seconds, people was slepping, and probably didn't noticed how they died...

It's not prehistoric, but it was on the year 79 A.C

U can see thousands of pictures googling pompei, and also read wikipedia for the full history...

So, at 78, it's clearly people was slepping just like we do it today but in the floor. Some did the fetal position, some just on the floor, there are also some of the "mummies" sitting on the floor etc....

So, yes in Italy at 78, people slept on the floor
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
I dont think they were unconscious, the volcano would be pretty loud. I've seen a bunch of picture of the casts of people holding their kids in fear of their lives.
Theres also an account of a man that watched his uncle suffocate

But about the sleeping, 2000 years wasn't that long ago considering Homosapiens have been around for like 250,000 years.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by tiky
That's a fkin weird question dude. But i started to think if they were really sleeping on fetal position as everybody would think in the first place... That's when I remembered my last vacations thru Italy and my visit to the ruins of POMPEI....

I'm pretty sure you all know the history, Mount Vesubius exploded and then the explosion collapsed so fast, burning ashes covered the HUGE CITY in matter on seconds, people was slepping, and probably didn't noticed how they died...

It's not prehistoric, but it was on the year 79 A.C

U can see thousands of pictures googling pompei, and also read wikipedia for the full history...

So, at 78, it's clearly people was slepping just like we do it today but in the floor. Some did the fetal position, some just on the floor, there are also some of the "mummies" sitting on the floor etc....

So, yes in Italy at 78, people slept on the floor

The Romans did have beds, and the fetal position is actually more a result of collapsing in asphyxiation. The eruption went on for some time and killed people over the course of a couple of days.
I sleep in the fetal position and it is very comfortable. I assume they did this too.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by SKArface McDank
no one said cave man.... EARLY HOMOSAPIEN.
Are you familiar with evolution? Adaptations?

There's a diet called the Paleo diet. You eat only what cave men ate, natural foods/meats, nothing processed or unnatural. It works because you're eating what the human body evolved eating.

Cavemen, early homosapien, same thing to me.

Regardless, what we evolved eating is unimportant for health. Unless you think that we've always had a perfect food source, we've always just eaten whatever we could; which during our foraging days would leave nutrient intake up to chance.

We're better using science to craft the optimal diet, sleep routine, exercise plan than assuming primitive=prime.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by Cap'n Braid

Regardless, what we evolved eating is unimportant for health. Unless you think that we've always had a perfect food source, we've always just eaten whatever we could; which during our foraging days would leave nutrient intake up to chance.

We're better using science to craft the optimal diet, sleep routine, exercise plan than assuming primitive=prime.

And yet diets in the western world are extremely unhealthy, despite our 'superior scientific knowledge'.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Yes because having mild issues falling asleep is reason to get sleep medicine
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by Eric_Fail
And yet diets in the western world are extremely unhealthy, despite our 'superior scientific knowledge'.

Because the average western diet is built around economic factors, not biological need.

Plus, though many in our society have advanced us to great heights, the average citizen remains (as always) a blubbering moron.
Quote by Timothym
Actually, if they survived childhood, cavemen typically lived longer than humans today. Like 70+ years. And they were fit/useful at that age, not like old people today.

Source?
Id sleep on grass if I was early man.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Okey my bad then....

i know the history, that it collapsed probably some days after. (I live on Chile, we know about volcanoes, we have like 80 active, and one that is paralyzing all argentina and NZ australia these days ha) And always thought that after all the first 2 days, it collapsed, and maybe some people were sleeping at the exact moment of the collapse... Still they could be sleeping on a BED as you all said (the method of the reconstruction was the air cavity left by ashes), and nothing has to do with the sleeping of prehistorical people... so I was completely wrong.

Still was pretty fun for me googling and seeing images of pompei one year after being there... Good luck with ur sleeping
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by Cap'n Braid

dude..early homosapien could hunt.. youre thinking they were helpless apes.
Im pretty sure tribes were a bit more sophisticated than chance.
There's cave drawings of even cavemen hunting mammoths.
Im talking about early Homosapien not cavemen though
regardless of whether or not theyre different to you... If theyre the same thing to you, you probably shouldnt be discussing it.

Honestly, I believe you're the blubbering moron..
- Carl Sagan
Quote by BeefWellington
I bet they used boobs as pillows.

Goddamnit Dave.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Eric_Fail

That's because most of that population doesn't follow that knowledge.
Balls.
Who decides which foods belong in this diet plan? Different stages of human evolution have incredible differences in the types of food. Which region of early humans is this diet modeled after? Who decides which region provided the best diet?

Also, "homosapien" is just as wrong as "caveman". It's Homo sapiens, there's always an "s" on the end.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Quote by TheEducatedFool
Who decides which foods belong in this diet plan? Different stages of human evolution have incredible differences in the types of food. Which region of early humans is this diet modeled after? Who decides which region provided the best diet?

Also, "homosapien" is just as wrong as "caveman". It's Homo sapiens, there's always an "s" on the end.

My assumption would be that they base it on the region in Africa that our species originated in. So whatever we ate at that time and place. (I've lost all memory of my last anthropology class, so I don't know)
Page 1 of 2