Just had my first paying gig at a bar.

Feels really good man, im sitting on 150$ for being able to play top 40 hits on a guitar for 3 hours for drunk people and using the tab part of this section and just print them out and use them to learn the songs and mix up the sounds a little bit.

Thanks for everyone who makes tabs.

Its also nice to be able to play your own music there as well and have people congratulate you for doing so.

Anyone else shamefully play top 40 music to make some scratch? I mean its probably the easiest and best way i can make money ATM.

Well the whole point of this forum is to really start everyone out on how they should gig and what they should expect from money, hecklers, and most of all the numbers sitting in your pocket from all the ladies who enjoy your guitar playing ( or any instrument at that matter)

It would also help educate me, so feel free to put your set lists, staple songs to learn for when people ask for them on the fly, and how much coin you really should be getting for selling your soul to make a couple of people happy.

and who should be getting paid what in the group. singer making the most? the guitar player making the most? the sax player? etc.
everyone should be paid the same imo
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
If the group is centered around the singer, then he should get more. But if it's a real band, everyone's equal.

It does feel great to gig... if you're proud of what you're doing. I've played gigs with bands where I wasn't satisfied with the music and I felt really bad.
No shame in playing top 40 songs, if that's what you like doing. And playing for drunks is awesome, they think you're a guitar god. Ego boost!
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
Non-paying gigs are awesome, but to get paid to do something you love is even better!

Everyone gets an equal amount of cash, also did you get $150 each or in total, if it's the latter, then that's a small amount of a 3 hour gig. (But I'm assuming you got $150 each?)
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Archer18
Non-paying gigs are awesome, but to get paid to do something you love is even better!

Everyone gets an equal amount of cash, also did you get $150 each or in total, if it's the latter, then that's a small amount of a 3 hour gig. (But I'm assuming you got $150 each?)

nah it was 150$ for the two of us. its a new place that just opened up
Quote by Guitarguyteddyb
Well the whole point of this forum is to really start everyone out on how they should gig and what they should expect from money, hecklers, and most of all the numbers sitting in your pocket from all the ladies who enjoy your guitar playing ( or any instrument at that matter).

lol, but as to your last question, everyone gets paid equal.
payed gigs awsum! i got £150 for a gig and i wus 30 minss. GOOD JOB! GOOD gob!!! if tthey want you they want you right? just be sick at muski??
fuk it im drunk as shet!
Aye, first band I was in was a coverband that just did it for the cash, was good fun. Good money too, but it burns you out musically if you don't have something on the side imo- playing the same old boring shit 3 nights in a row gets tough after a few years.
How do I go about getting one of these gigs?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
sellout
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Quote by blindfatkid23
sellout

yeah, this, you suck @ life and make me ashamed of trying to be a professional musician who actually does it for the sake of art itself and not for money

Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Last edited by Silveroon009 at Jul 11, 2011,
i play these kinds of bar gigs all the time. usually $50-$80.

usually the only thing paying $150-$250 are private parties. are you including tips?

but yeah, i play four hour bar gigs nearly every weekend playing ... whatever the singers tell me to play. hardly ever for $150 though. good on you for raking in that bread, man. if i got $150 for my bar gigs, i'd have NBD every week.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by Silveroon009
yeah, this, you suck @ life and make me ashamed of trying to be a professional musician who actually does it for the sake of art itself and not for money

im going to address this as such.

I should have also stated i get to show a large live audience my original music *cough* *in my sig, and on youtube *cough*

And i get to play alot of Covers that i wanna do.

And be real man art?
Music is entertainment.

Art is expression.

Your speaking in such a contradictive manner it doesnt make any sense.
Anyone who does art has a huge ego.

They always ask if its good and pride themselves on compliments.

you cant argue that

just read the stacked lol

i was trolled.......

hats off to you sir
TS, the first song in your sig is awesome. Only criticism: some parts are simply too repetitive. You have a few more boring parts where you tap the same notes over and over without the bass notes, and they drag on far too long. Cut a good part of them out, and you song is shorter and better, IMO.
Quote by trueamerican
TS, the first song in your sig is awesome. Only criticism: some parts are simply too repetitive. You have a few more boring parts where you tap the same notes over and over without the bass notes, and they drag on far too long. Cut a good part of them out, and you song is shorter and better, IMO.

oh thanks man always nice to hear compliments and ideas, i have changed the song alot and it has more moving parts ive changed alot since ive recorded that.

but try and keep it to the paying gigs thing i kinda like hearing what other people do for theres how they keep em and stuff