So a few of you know I got a Mesa earlier this year, which I've been loving, but i've had a tough time dialing it in with the band for stage use.

I actually went to the music store today for blues jr tubes (el84), but they were out of stock. However they did have a killer deal on a quintet of el34's by JJ. I had a giftcard so I though why the hell not... I always wanted to try them in my Mesa.

HOLY HELL..... it's like a completely different amp. I never thought tubes could have such a profound change on the sound.... but I guess my ears were just used to the 6L6 tone. It really gives the amp a nice touch sensitive midrange that it lacked with the 6L6's, but still retains that brutal bass on ch4 and the nice cleans on ch 1.

I honestly think I don't even need my tubescreamer in the input anymore. So, for all of you with Mesa's I definitely recommend giving the el34s a try.
Not all Mesa's take EL34s kids but I am a personal fan of EL34s so

Glad it is giving you what you needed finally. What kind of music do you play?

Also I recommend buying tubes on-line instead of at the store. The ones at the store are often not the greatest for your money

What EL34s did you get?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 10, 2011,
No clipporz?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I got JJ's.... they were 15 each, similar to the prices online so I decided to grab them while I was there.

My Mesa actually isn't for my current gigging band (Getting Betty), for which I use my blues jr.... but rather for my side project... kinda like Alice in Chains meets Peter Gabriel.

I'm actually scheduled to work with a recording friend to lay down some tunes later this month, so I should have good quality clips soon.
next time try the tung sol EL34, they are miles better than the JJ el34, atleast in my amp
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard