Hi guys,

My band and I have been talking over the past few weeks of the possibility of giving up everything and moving to the USA.

Is it idiotic or a once in a lifetime opportunity? That I don't know yet. Over the past few months we've went through a few lineup changes which slowed things up although at the moment things are going great and I really feel we are moving on leaps and bounds as a band.

At the moment we're planning gigs throughout Ireland, promotion gigs, the lot. The problem with Ireland is that it's such a niche market for our type of music. It's quite disheartening. I'm sure everyone has at least once thought of achieving the impossible with your band.

I haven't even mentioned the idea to my parents yet. (They probably wouldn't be too pleased).

Moving to America would involve me quitting my job, probably selling all unnecessary guitar gear, giving up the idea of college and leaving everything I've grown to know behind me.

On one hand, this could be a fantastic journey with my best friends travelling throughout America hoping to gain popularity and maybe even making a career out of it. On the other hand, we could make absolutely no money, probably in fact in debt, gain no exposure and probably result in giving up.

Am I in way over my head here? I want to know what you guys think. Music is all I've really been interested in my life. Working a 9-5 office job may seem like reality to some people although it isn't the life my band or I for that matter want to lead.

TL;DR

My band is planning to move to the USA. Are we stupid, ambitious crazy? What chance do we have?

Thanks guys.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Well, do you feel like your music could make a difference? Or is it just another band like any other?
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
If you want to win it all you have to be willing to lose it all. I say go for your dreams.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Gui_Lux
Well, do you feel like your music could make a difference? Or is it just another band like any other?

Personally I feel it could. We self recorded our own album and although I feel we did a good job of it, it doesn't directly represent what we will sound like. Over the past few months we've definitely improved a lot more. We've matured greatly and I can only see us getting better, I'm pretty excited with the stuff we're currently writing. It's all down to hard work and determination at the end of the day.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I don't think anyone can really tell you what chance you have, but I can tell you that chance eventually caves in to motivation, determination and work.

The problem with music is that you're not in it alone, which can be the best thing about it, but also the worst. If everyone in your band feels the same way and can go all the way then you're in luck.

All this aside, isn't it better to go for it and fail rather than to never even try? Go for it knowing that you gave it your best.
As long as you understand and believe you can endure the worst possible scenario, that's all it takes to make this decision. You are leaving a lot behind, and if you want to make something of yourself when you are there, you'll need a strategy. Otherwise, you'll just wander in like a lost child with no sense of direction and are bound to fail. All I'm saying is, have a back-up plan, and a back-up plan for your back-up plan. Everything else is just details, which I'm sure others will outline to you; moving costs, living costs, managing yourself in a new location with no reputation etc. Good luck on whatever it is you choose.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
We all feel the same way. The plan is to first move to Philadelphia where my drummers relatives live. His uncle is a pretty wealthy contractor and he's allowed us to stay for a while at his home to get ourselves off our feet. Food, clothes even a day job to get things going.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I'm in America and all the local bands I know are always saying how much better the music scene is in Europe...I dunno brah.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
I'm in America and all the local bands I know are always saying how much better the music scene is in Europe...I dunno brah.

That just means he has a lot of stiff competition there.
A SIGNATURE.
You're welcome to come, but we don't roll out the screaming ladies for you guys anymore.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by fail

I think it's a case of the grass is greener on the other side although in Ireland it is definitely not greener!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
It's not worth it without any certainty.

First make sure there's a market for your music over there or around other countries. Then move.

What you want to do is get a name for yourself around Ireland and England (probably Scotland and Wales too) as well as on the internet.

You want to be sure there's a market for this stuff before you go moving country for good.

Like, imagine moving over to America as you are now.
You've gigged around Ireland, and I'm sure you guys, if you have a record deal, it'll be with a small indie label, and if you have endorsements they won't be too prestigious.

Now, with that on your back, go to America. Then you'll be lumped in with every other band in that scene, except they have the security of the fact that they're in their own country, where they probably have some people to fall back on financially, such as family and stuff.

Now, imagine you put in, let's say, half a year to a year's work really seriously working to promote your band and get them as known as you possibly can over your current "area" (being the UK and Ireland), say you get some endorsements with some decent companies, say you get a few offers from small but more reputable labels.

Then you move to America with this, it's still a massive risk as you seem to have acknowledged, but places are more likely to book you, labels will be more interested and other companies will be more willing to endorse you. Meaning a heightened chance of success.

Being a musician is a financially crippling thing, especially if you want to make it with a band.
So make sure you have as many things secured as you can while you're in a "comfort zone" as you are now before you broaden your horizons to much more scary aspects.

EDIT: Didn't see that you had a bit of help when you get over there.

I'd still try to gain some more heat for a little while before making the move though, but if you do have a bit of a safety net, nothing's really stopping you!
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Jul 10, 2011,
Well i had a very similar situation in my late teens. My band moved from Scotland to the USA. Now i have some amazing stories to tell of my 'rock star' days. The majority of the experieices were hellish at the time and i hated it, but it does sound cool. I wish now that i would have spent less time on naieve dreams of stardom and more on getting into a good university, a profession and now not be broke.

In the late 90s we were totally naieve of 'making it', but at least then bands were getting record contracts and were making something before illegal downloads etc. Now if you look locally there is far fewer bands actually touring and far few coming through. I am keen to see anyone coming into town now, because its a lot rarer to see good bands.

Because of the size of the U.S. you will find it hard to finance a 'tour' of any kind. You will end up working in some dead end job to finance it and forget why you are in it. You will probably have a band split at some point. However on the good side its better than being in the UK so just enjoy the experience if you are willing to do the sacrifice.
^

Thanks for the wise words my friend. We are in the very early stages although I guarantee we will be in every way prepared and organised for such a colossal task. It's so daunting yet exciting.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
We all feel the same way. The plan is to first move to Philadelphia where my drummers relatives live. His uncle is a pretty wealthy contractor and he's allowed us to stay for a while at his home to get ourselves off our feet. Food, clothes even a day job to get things going.

Well in that case I reckon you guys should go for it, but be prepared for the worst should it fail.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
compare the ratio of successful bands that can live on their music to aspiring bands that cannot. if your band doesnt make it what are you going to do? you have no college degree and no work experience. you also now have a large gap in employment which does not look go when trying to get a job.

id stick around and go to college. i dont think anyone wants a 9-5 job but for 90% of the population its an inevitability. its work, its the real world. it sucks.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Eric_Fail
If you want to win it all you have to be willing to lose it all. I say go for your dreams.

Probably the only good thing I've ever seen Eric_Fail type.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13
Probably the only good thing I've ever seen Eric_Fail type.

Agreed. I'm honestly shocked.
A SIGNATURE.
An Irishman moving to America?

Shit, I've never heard that happen before!

Good luck man, you certainly sound like you know what you're doing. Make sure you have an income, a roof, and a plan.

Either that or just support Bomb The Music Industry. They will play anywhere if you give them breakfast.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
An Irishman moving to America?

Shit, I've never heard that happen before!

Good luck man, you certainly sound like you know what you're doing. Make sure you have an income, a roof, and a plan.

Either that or just support Bomb The Music Industry. They will play anywhere if you give them breakfast.

America loves the Irish so hopefully everything goes according to plan!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I listened to you guys on your myspace. Where I live, the ENTIRE music scene is your style music, whatever it's called lol.

I don't know if that makes things better, or worse, but if you truly believe you can, go for it, I'd consider it myself if I was in your situation.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W