Alright, so after a couple fallen through deals I finally got rid of my 5150 combo. Now I have about $1600 max to spend on a new head/rack setup.

Currently I'm looking at either:
A.) Mesa Triaxis and 2:90 Simul-Class Power Amp for $1200 (one of them needs an output jack replaced, can't be much)

B.) Mesa Road King (EDIT: Series I)head for $1395.

Yes, many of you are probably saying at this point, "SWEET MOTHER OF GOD A ROAD KING FOR $1400!!!!11!!!1!!!!!" but I'm looking at which has more versatility. I focus mainly on progressive metal and such(tones similar to Lamb of God, Dream Theater), but play everything else as well, so I want more than the "most metal" head. I'm playing out of a V30-loaded cab by the way.

So, the big question: Which one of those amps? If neither, what would you recommend?

Last edited by polishedbullet at Jul 11, 2011,
I think you'll be happier with the Road King. They're a lot more versatile than people give them credit for being.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Of those two, I think the Road King sounds better for your needs. Have you tried the Mark IV, though? Or Mark V? Much more articulate and harmonically rich, in my opinion. But if you don't like those, Road King.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
wit all those bands mentioned id say roadking, mark iv, or mark v. ive only tried teh mark v's clean channel(GC's regular customers made it a pain in the ass for me to be takin seriously and not have the guy standin over my shoulder at all times) so my experience is obviously limited but as far as i know from others i know that own a mark v. its a ****ing awesome versatile amp. perfect for DT
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
You should consider a Mark IV or V. Very versetile. Could be perfect for you. Definitly dont buy anything else without looking into it.

If not the Roadking is pretty amazing also.
Quote by FatalGear41
I think you'll be happier with the Road King. They're a lot more versatile than people give them credit for being.

I don't think anyone doubts the versatility of the Roadking.
The Triaxis/2:90 is incredibly versatile too though, it will be a bit better for very tight tones, but the Roadking will be simpler (that may be hard to believe!)
Either would be a good choice, but I'd say the Triaxis would get you a bit closer to LOG/DT tones than a Roadking (depending on the DT era, JP has used basically every Mesa amp ever made) and will be a bit more versatile.
I was going to say how the Triaxis doesn't have the 5 band EQ like the Mark series (which both the bands you listen both use Mark IV/V's and rely on the EQ for their sound) but it seems as it does in a way. Read this: http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39031&start=0

I've never played a Triaxis but from all the clips I've heard, it just never sounded too convincing to me.
I unfortunately cannot find a place near me that carried the Mark IV or V, unless I get lucky and find it at a local Guitar Center. I am leaning to the Road King at the moment based off what everyone has said, plus the outrageously low price (the lowest I've seen one is $1800).
Quote by littlephil
I don't think anyone doubts the versatility of the Roadking.

You would think so, but I've known at least three guitarists who either dumped their Road Kings or passed on one because they insisted they were one-trick ponies. I almost bought one from one of them, but some vet bills got in the way.
With 4 channels and 3 modes for two of the channels, and 2 modes for the other two, you really can't get much more versatile.

I'd say it's more versatile than my Mark IV. It has an OK clean channel, a pretty much unusable 2nd channel, and an amazing lead channel. Really I wish they would have just cloned the lead channel as you can get the same tones you can out of channel 2, but better.
Quote by FatalGear41
You would think so, but I've known at least three guitarists who either dumped their Road Kings or passed on one because they insisted they were one-trick ponies. I almost bought one from one of them, but some vet bills got in the way.

I can't speak for the Road Kings, however, I bought my MkV without ever trying it, and I find it a damn versatile amp... its basically met all my tonal needs and then some.

When I was considering the MkV, I was also looking at the Framus Cobra, Diamond Spec Ops, Diezel VH4, ENGL SE, Mesa Road King and several others. I kind have to admit that the MkV alone stopped all my amp GAS cold.

Altho if you look up the Boogie Boards, they seem pretty set in their idea that the Mark is more of a lead amp, whereas the Road King is more of a rhythm amp. Personally, I find that the Mark does very well in any situation you put it in. Well, unless you're going up a bunch of amps that are somewhat muddier... in which case, you'll just cut through and drown everyone else out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Roadking is definitely more versatile than the Mark IV, but I don't agree that the Mark IV's R2 channel is unusable. Its not going to give you metal rhythm tones, but its definitely useable for lower gain leads, and its excellent for that.

The Triaxis is extremely versatile too, its got 8 different modes and you can program in more presets than you'd probably ever need, so it'd be especially useful live.
ever considered the Mesa Studio Preamp? coming from an owner here, I have it paired with a Marshall EL34 50/50 into 2x12 with V30's

That and an overdrive+gate is all I'll ever want, demos online don't do it justice
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
I'm assuming the Road King is a Series I? It won't have as good of a clean channel as the RK II, but they are still very good; the drive channels are a bit better though on the RK I than the RK II IMO.

The only other Mesa that can really even come close in versatility (besides the TriAxis, which is a great unit as well - But I wouldn't recommend a rack setup if you ever plan on moving your gear, because it can get HEAVY, and very hard to carry, especially if you have a bigger rack), is the Mark V. The Mark V, while it has an awesome clean channel and crunch channel, lacks a bit in the lead channel for me. Some nice tones are in the lead channel, definitely, but the whole Mark series has just never wow'd me on every channel of their newer amps. The Mark III, I really love, even with its shared EQ, the entire amp was completely usable for me

Quote by FatalGear41

They are?

I've never heard a single person say that a Road King isn't extremely versatile??
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Triaxis wins versatility..

Like MC said though, if you go rack.. get a 10-12 U rack with casters. My rack is easily over 100 pounds.
/rig
Playing live there is nothing like having a programable midi-preamp. I use 3 tones on my VHT and about 20 on my Marshall JMP-1.
Quote by MatrixClaw
They are?

I've never heard a single person say that a Road King isn't extremely versatile??

Unfortunately, I could introduce you to a few. See earlier post. One guy I knew postponed a gig in SF until he could get rid of his Road King and get a "truly versatile amp."

To each his or her own...
Quote by FatalGear41
Unfortunately, I could introduce you to a few. See earlier post. One guy I knew postponed a gig in SF until he could get rid of his Road King and get a "truly versatile amp."

To each his or her own...

The Road King is probably the most versatile head Mesa makes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've just confirmed that it's a Series I for the RK and that it was recently given a clean bill of health by Jim Walton at Mesa. I may just have to jump on the RK after all. If anything, resale's gotta be around like $1800-2000 right?
Quote by polishedbullet
I've just confirmed that it's a Series I for the RK and that it was recently given a clean bill of health by Jim Walton at Mesa. I may just have to jump on the RK after all. If anything, resale's gotta be around like $1800-2000 right?

Nope.

$1400 is about right for a RKI. Might be worth a little more, maybe around $1600, but definitely not that much.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

The Road King is probably the most versatile head Mesa makes.

I thought it was a fine amp, too. He insisted it was good only for blues. Go figure. He ended up with a Matchless and he was very happy with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I thought it was a fine amp, too. He insisted it was good only for blues. Go figure. He ended up with a Matchless and he was very happy with that.

Really

I'd go for the Road King but I like the 'amp in a box' mentality

My only concern earlier was that there may be something wrong with it. Now that it has been checked by Mesa themselves I'd say the Road King is a no brainer. Plus you can run EL34s and 6L6s at the same time
Quote by FatalGear41

LOL whattttt!?!?

Quote by polishedbullet
No kidding. What all differentiates the RKI from the RKII?

The RK II has the clean channel of the Lonestar, but the RK I has a slightly tighter distorted sound IMO. The RK I is a fantastic sounding amp though, the price difference between the two is just dumb.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can run el34s and 6l6s in a 2:90 in freakin' stereo if you really want to.
Quote by MatrixClaw
LOL whattttt!?!?

I didn't get it, either. Some people have a strange sense of these things. To each his or her own. He took a beating on that amp when he sold it, but he is a lot happier with the Matchless. As I said before, I would've bought it from him but the dog ran up a hefty vet bill, so I didn't have the cash. Another missed opportunity.
the fact that you are considering a Road King means that you shouldnt buy anything else, pretty much the most versatile valve amp i can think of if you dont want to go down the Axe FX route side of things
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
road king has MIDI control im pretty sure
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
road king has MIDI control im pretty sure

Channel switching and recalling 128 saved programs are entirely different things.
Quote by BobDetroit
Channel switching and recalling 128 saved programs are entirely different things.

+infinity.
Shame actually, it really limits the RK's tonal pallet.
The only amps I can think of that allow full MIDI are various Diezels, Engls, the JVM and the Blackstar Series One.
Quote by BobDetroit

my bad, if it did have midi it would be fairly unstoppable as an amp
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Epics
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.