hey guys, im finally gonna start learning full songs. even though i can play somewhat complex solos i dont think ive learned a full song and played along with it yet.

im using guitar pro, along with listening to the song. starting with easy songs, right now im learning "carousel"(blink182) and probably gonna start with "whole lotta love".

im especially having trouble remembering everything, and with counting.
for example lets say i have to play a power chord 12 times, i get lost. do you guys count in your head? like 1+2+3+4+ 1+2.......??

any tips/ advice?
I just do it by ear to the song, and don't really look at what the tab says to play, because most of the time the note counts are wrong, or off beat with the actual song.

As for making learning songs easier, I try to set things up into phrases. For example, instead of trying to learn a whole solo all at once, I break it up little sections until i get comfortable playing them, and then slowly play it all at once.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I just do it by ear to the song, and don't really look at what the tab says to play, because most of the time the note counts are wrong, or off beat with the actual song.

As for making learning songs easier, I try to set things up into phrases. For example, instead of trying to learn a whole solo all at once, I break it up little sections until i get comfortable playing them, and then slowly play it all at once.

hmm well im not great and i still have some trouble figuring stuff out by ear. im getting better at it, so i look at the tab and then listen to the song and try to get it.

well yea with solos i do phrases too, but learning a complete song im just having trouble remembering it alll.....i try to find patterns.

thanks for teh advice....any other tips?
Most songs and especially blink182 songs will have just 3 or 4 different parts that repeat over and over. The best thing to do is to try and listen to the song a bunch of times so that you know how it goes and are not guessing. Then, play along with it in guitarpro, and then with the song. Slow it down in guitarpro to like 75% or 80% if you're having trouble keeping up.
Quote by Guitar2320
Most songs and especially blink182 songs will have just 3 or 4 different parts that repeat over and over. The best thing to do is to try and listen to the song a bunch of times so that you know how it goes and are not guessing. Then, play along with it in guitarpro, and then with the song. Slow it down in guitarpro to like 75% or 80% if you're having trouble keeping up.

cool thanks sounds good....i'll try that...
and yea im looking at it and its looking easier and easier...

before settling on carousel i was gonna try n learn "my curse"(killswitch engage), but that seemed a lot more complicated.
Persistence. Its easy to get sick of a song halfway through
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
GuitarPro is a great way to learn all the parts to a song. But I found that what would happen is, I could only play the song while looking at the tab, and without it in front of me I'd forget pieces here and there. So now after learning all the parts in GuitarPro I purposely close it up and play along with the song so I have to memorize it.
A lot of times there are blocks within blocks. Maybe a verse is 4 blocks of 4 measures, things like that.

Try to learn a bunch of smaller songs completely. Usually you can break them apart into different ideas. Maybe something like:
Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Chorus
End

Things like that. So when you can spot an identical block somewhere in the song, you can say to yourself "ok, I play the same 16 measure thing I did before".

I find music theory knowledge substantially helps memorization.
guitar pro is awesome,i would suggest looping part of the song,especially if there only 4 main parts it should be easy to nail,u might be best to practice the first part of the song for a while then try and play it without looking at guitar pro b4 moving onto next part,start off slowly and increase by 5% or so,that also helps u get it quicker.
For learning full songs, I usually find a song I really like (and probably have been thinking about learning for a few months), then learn it. I'd keep repeating sections again and again until I can play it with the original song. Then I'd go onto the next section. Sometimes, I'll feel more ambitious, so I learn more sections in an attempt, but it all goes down to the same concept.

As for not getting lost while playing chords, it doesn't harm you if you count, but don't do it anything and everything.

I personally 'feel' the song, for lack of a better word. It's very difficult to explain, but I'd say it probably sounds like what it sounds; you get to know the song so well you can predict which part comes next effortlessly.

Edit: I just read that you have trouble remembering it all (I skimmed earlier.). What you want to do is to keep repeating the song that you're playing. I like playing with all the drums and everything, so I play with the original mp3 playing. This is why I think it's important to find a song that I like. You need to enjoy the process of internalising the song structure and its notes, etc.
Last edited by triface at Jul 12, 2011,
If it says play a chord 12 times, break it up into bigger chunks, like 4 strums, 4 strums 4 strums... But then they are wrong quite a bit as well.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I count depending on what I'm playing. Generally I'll do a 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + count, but if its powerchords I'll count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 instead, I don't know what it is, i just find it easier with powerchords to do that. I think i'm doing this because subconciously I want to upstroke on the ands, whereas this kind of powerchord sequence would be all down-strummed.

For example, doing 12 strums of one, followed by twelve of another i'd count

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - 1,2,3,4 (swap) 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
I still always try to get full bars the same wherever possible though.

As for learning full songs, it's best to learn each section and join them together. Then just keep playing along to songs/backing tracks until you've got it.
The way I find myself learning songs is to basically just learn the different riffs, then play along with the tracks until it flows nicely. I use a combination of Guitar Pro and Tab Books. GP is an amazing tool but if you find a good tab book or one that is released with the musician's permission you're in good hands.