Hello fellow musicians!

Saving up to buy my (first all tube) amp to use for the rest of my life, thinkin' MESA Mark V head and a 2x12 MESA stack would be versatile for whatever shows I want to do. All I'm worried about is being able to play at home/apartment with the rig. I really would like this thing to sound great in my alone time practice when volume is low as well as jamming hard with a band

Will 10 watts and a 2x12 still require too much volume to get the tubes cookin' when I need to stay quiet?

EDIT:: Based on awesome responses the consensus is "No, It's not too **** loud!"
Last edited by Aegaris at Jul 11, 2011,
What kinda music do you play?

I've got a Mesa MkV running through 2 Krank 112s... and I use the 90 watt setting to practice at night. The MkV can definitely go to whisper volumes and still sound good.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
What kinda music do you play?

I've got a Mesa MkV running through 2 Krank 112s... and I use the 90 watt setting to practice at night. The MkV can definitely go to whisper volumes and still sound good.

Do you use two 1x12's set apart? I was thinking about doing that!

So you are comfortable at like a .5 volume with a huge headroom? I'm guessing you use a pedal/effect processor for your distortion and not the tube's breakup?
Quote by Aegaris

So you are comfortable at like a .5 volume with a huge headroom? I'm guessing you use a pedal/effect processor for your distortion and not the tube's breakup?

Depends on what you use it for, if it's metal, you're only really needing preamp distortion, which you don't' need volume for that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you don't need a pedal with a Mark V

the preamp tubes and circuit will give you plenty of distortion - you won't need power tube break up to practice

so you're saying 1 will sound as good as 11 on the volume dial no matter what? I play rock/metal distortion and cleans (well within the tone of this amp). I can give you an influence list if you want
you'll be fine. mesas have great master volumes.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Aegaris
so you're saying 1 will sound as good as 11 on the volume dial no matter what? I play rock/metal distortion and cleans (well within the tone of this amp). I can give you an influence list if you want

Listen, you do not need to play it loud to get a good tone from it. It can produce great tones at whisper volumes. Obviously it will sound different at full blast, because of the power tubes saturating, but you don't need that all the time.
Quote by Aegaris

I'm not saying 1 will sound like 11.

I'm just saying it will sound good at 1.

After you have the amp and the 2 - 112 cabs and you feel like you need more dirt/tone come talk to us. What kind of music do you play?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Listen, you do not need to play it loud to get a good tone from it. It can produce great tones at whisper volumes. Obviously it will sound different at full blast, because of the power tubes saturating, but you don't need that all the time.

Great to hear Out of curiosity: With built in Preamp gain what would the difference in sound be between the 10watt and 90watt?
Quote by Aegaris

I tried that once, but I think there were some locations with phase cancellations... because the tone sounded off at certain locations. And where it didn't sound off... well lets say that I had some issues walking in my bedroom.

Quote by Aegaris

I have several pedals for effects and OD, but for distortion, its purely the amp. Also I don't see how you're gonna get 0.5 volume (yes, I know I have made this silly comment before, but 0.5 doesn't get the channel volume up to a good sounding level).

What you need to do is to use both your channel and master volume to achieve a level you like. It is possible to get a good volume without waking people around you.

Quote by Aegaris

Well, not exactly true. If you crank the master higher, naturally the amp will sound better. However, the Mesa Mark amps is probably one of the rare amps I've tested where the tonal difference between 1 and 6 and 10 is quite minimal. Compare that to the Marshalls, Peaveys, Orange, Krank, Crates, Line 6 SVs I've tred... where loud is better.

Quote by Aegaris
Great to hear Out of curiosity: With built in Preamp gain what would the difference in sound be between the 10watt and 90watt?

Ahh, sad to say this... you lose this aspect of the amp's nuances when you play at low volumes. At high volumes, 90 watts sounds fuller and seems to fill out the room much better. At 10 watts, you get that slightly pushed sound of the tubes with a bit of a rectifier sag.

However, at low volumes, the simul-class and pushed power tube effect is very much less pronounced. Although you still get that rectifier sag at 10 watts.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
I tried that once, but I think there were some locations with phase cancellations... because the tone sounded off at certain locations. And where it didn't sound off... well lets say that I had some issues walking in my bedroom.

Oh, that makes sense, so you don't recommend two 1x12's then? Haha, issues walking?
Quote by Aegaris
Oh, that makes sense, so you don't recommend two 1x12's then? Haha, issues walking?

The places where it didn't sound off were places like middle of the room and a corner... or sides or the room, or just in front of my closet, or on top of my desk or chair, where my TV is.

Its an exercise in futility.

I used my 112s because it came with my Krank Rev Jr Pro, appeared to be solidly constructed and got generally good reviews. I just put them side by side and play it like that.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

However, at low volumes, the simul-class and pushed power tube effect is very much less pronounced. Although you still get that rectifier sag at 10 watts.

Is Rectifier sag a good thing?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hey kitty - not to threadjack but if you were able to add a bit of delay (like 10 ms) to one side do you think that would fix the phase issue? Just curious.

Eh? No idea, its not a stereo setup.. just 2 cabs in 2 different locations. Haha not sure how'd I'd slot a delay in without blowing something

However, I did try something similar when I kicked in my chorus. I'll tell you it sounded weird.

What happened was that it made the sound thin and weirdly hollow. It didn't have that position 2 or 4 quack on a strat... it just sounded like a scooped tone, but across the entire range of frequencies.

I think what you're suggesting would require an open space. In an enclosed room like mine, I think the delay sound came out can canceled out frequencies in the reverb... so the whole sound came out... really really hollow... like a body with no muscles.

Quote by Aegaris
Is Rectifier sag a good thing?

Eh, you won't get the sound of a Dual or Triple Recto on the red channel if that's what you wanna know.

The rectifier sag will sound like an amp from the 60s or 70s which were essentially class A, single ended amps. You'll get that sound. Although if one of the sounds you like is a pushed amp singing, the 10 watt setting with the master cranked can definitely get you there.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i am not sure of this, so pardon the interuption if it is not. i have like fie cabs on one wall facing east in my studio, and two facing north, if i run one of my splawns into one cabinet from each side, i do not really get any undesirable noise/phasing issues. i have also used two heads hooked up to those same 4'x12 cabinets run in stereo and same thing, no ill effects.

so maybe 90 degrees apart is an importiant thing? i really don't know, jut thought i would throw that out there.

if i remember tomorow i will try turning one of the cabs like 30 degrees and see what it does.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ignite has a Mesa, and he can play it just fine at midnight without bothering his sleeping family.

Yup.

I have some clips at really quiet bedroom volume if you're interested TS. But it's a Mark IV, not a V.
Thank you everybody for your awesome responses, I'm going to go with "No, it's not too **** loud!"