Page 1 of 2
So illegal downloading has vastly reduced the number of outstanding new bands out there, due to record labels folding and bands not being able to develop due to a lack of financial backing. The majority of kids i know are into mainly bands from previous decades.

Do you prefer to still illegally download and get lots of music for free (when you hardly listen to half of what you download) or would you rather have the old style of buying a cd a month and copying cds from friends etc, and have some outstanding new bands now.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
So illegal downloading has vastly reduced the number of outstanding new bands out there, due to record labels folding and bands not being able to develop due to a lack of financial backing. The majority of kids i know are into mainly bands from previous decades.

Do you prefer to still illegally download and get lots of music for free (when you hardly listen to half of what you download) or would you rather have the old style of buying a cd a month and copying cds from friends etc, and have some outstanding new bands now.

You are seriously misinformed
I find it very unfortunate that the music business is no longer profitable, however, I do not believe that means there WONT be any more awesome bands, because people that play long enough and get good enough to MAKE a great band, are in it because they love music, not for money.
actually i kinda believe the contrary, where downloading has made bands that never would have been listened to more available to a wider audience.

i download all of my music (i see a lot of bands live tho) and prefer it that way
...You need to get into the underground/DIY scene if you want good music that isn't dying.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I download four or five album a day -- for free -- and I'm certain the world is literally teeming with great new bands.

Source: blog in my sig.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

I'd rather buy, but downloading for free isn't bad either, it's just not as nice as having the CD and seeing the album art and the liner notes and shit like that.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
If I only had one CD a month and had to swap with my friends, I would murder myself. That sounds like hell.

Fuck physical media.
Good new bands arnt hindered by illegal music downloads at all. If anything it helps spread their music.

I wouldnt have listened to half the bands i would have if the only way to do so was to buy a physical album.

I know im the metal world the massive lack of 'major' metal labels has been a great boost to not only how many bands are popping up but to how they treat each other. If there are big labels only out to make masses of money then a music scene becomes a war zone which causes bands to change to fit the requests of some suit.

If there are many small labels run by musicians that know how it is for small time bands then it becomes a great community of bands not only in your area but worldwide. The recent 'Djent / Progressive' movement in metal is a great example of this, its great place to be and you dont get a ton of arse holes blindly slagging everything off because its slightly different to what they want to hear.

I think torrenting music and bringing down major pocket lining labels is the way forward for music
Quote by chud123
actually i kinda believe the contrary, where downloading has made bands that never would have been listened to more available to a wider audience.

i download all of my music (i see a lot of bands live tho) and prefer it that way

that is not the contrary. if anyone can recommend bands id be happy to hear them. The only thing ive heard recently is Animals as Leaders which was okay and Lunatic Soul which i liked. I like every genre.
Quote by mr7string
I think torrenting music and bringing down major pocket lining labels is the way forward for music
Torrenting is lame though; a self-respecting cyber-pirate would use Mediafire.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Also, if you can't find decent music from every generation then you either don't know how to find it, or just have crap taste.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
that is not the contrary. if anyone can recommend bands id be happy to hear them. The only thing ive heard recently is Animals as Leaders which was okay and Lunatic Soul which i liked. I like every genre.
What are some of your favorite bands?
I think LEGAL downloading has f*cked the music industry. Who would buy a whole album when they only want the one song that got played on the radio and thus they like?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by abdulalhazred
I think LEGAL downloading has f*cked the music industry. Who would buy a whole album when they only want the one song that got played on the radio and thus they like?

Because there's a very slight off chance that if you like one song by a band or an artist, you just might like another song by said artist
Quote by wizards?
Because there's a very slight off chance that if you like one song by a band or an artist, you just might like another song by said artist

...yes. But I don't think the public at large actually LIKES the artists they listen to as much as they just heard the song a million and a half times on the radio. I don't have enough faith in humanity to think that they in general have any particular taste in music.

(I'm not saying they have poor taste, but no taste in general)
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by abdulalhazred
...yes. But I don't think the public at large actually LIKES the artists they listen to as much as they just heard the song a million and a half times on the radio. I don't have enough faith in humanity to think that they in general have any particular taste in music.

(I'm not saying they have poor taste, but no taste in general)

See and most people I know that actually pay for downloads buy the entire album.

That being said, I go the, "Let's pirate it and if it's good and I'm not broke I'll buy the CD" route. That seems fair right? I mean I don't think any artist would complain if I at least try to go out and buy the record or see them live(I try and buy a shirt or some type of merch at every show I go to).
I download almost all of my music, and I have no complaints about there being 'no good artists' these days. Some great examples are Black keys, Jack White's 5,000,000 bands, QOTSA, Grinderman, etc. You just have to know where to look for it.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by due 07
If I only had one CD a month and had to swap with my friends, I would murder myself. That sounds like hell.

Fuck physical media.

Sorry, some people don't give a **** about finding 5 new bands a day, or lack sufficient space to store all of it.

and torrents > mediafire
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Sir it is my moral duty to inform you that your opening premise is absolutely fucktarded

have a nice day
Quote by due 07
What are some of your favorite bands?

I like

Bob Marley
Led Zeppelin
Cadillac Sky and bluegrass
Opeth
King Crimson
James Taylor
Sikth
John Martyn
The Roots
The Cinematic Orchestra
DJ Shadow
Tool
Weather Report
Air
Chenical Brothers
Lunatic Soul
John Coltrane
Megadeth
The Police
Jedi Mind Tricks
Roni Size
De La Soul
Beastie Boys
Massive Attack
Leftfield
Nick Warren
James Zabiela
Paco De Lucia
Chick Corea
At The Gates
Jackson 5
Al Green
Marlena Shaw
Billie Holiday
Frank Sinatra
Dead Weather
James Brown
Quote by wizards?
See and most people I know that actually pay for downloads buy the entire album.

That being said, I go the, "Let's pirate it and if it's good and I'm not broke I'll buy the CD" route. That seems fair right? I mean I don't think any artist would complain if I at least try to go out and buy the record or see them live(I try and buy a shirt or some type of merch at every show I go to).

That's fair.

Most people I know are incredibly fickle about music. Like...listening to year old CDs of theirs and making fun of how terrible the music is.
Some do that with songs they still listen to.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by due 07
Torrenting is lame though; a self-respecting cyber-pirate would use Mediafire.

Word. Mediafire gets me. Meguaupload and rapidshare are last resorts.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, some people don't give a **** about finding 5 new bands a day, or lack sufficient space to store all of it.

I have enough space, but that's a good point. How on Earth can you enjoy when you blow by dozens of bands a day?
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
I like

*bands*
If you can condense that into five or so favorites, I will be able to help much more efficiently.
Quote by due 07
If you can condense that into five or so favorites, I will be able to help much more efficiently.

Damn, I couldn't even condense my list to 20ish favourites, I don't know how you can expect others to do that.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by severed-metal
Word. Mediafire gets me. Meguaupload and rapidshare are last resorts.
Seriously. When blogs link to Rapidshare, I'm like "What the fuck do you think I am? Fuck this shit."

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Okay.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
and torrents > mediafire
Nope.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Damn, I couldn't even condense my list to 20ish favourites, I don't know how you can expect others to do that.
Just some of your all-time favorites, or the ones you listen to most. For you, I imagine it would be, in no particular order:

Grinderman herp derp (Nick Cave bands)
Jack White Bands
Tom Waits
The Rolling Stones
E

How'd I do?
Quote by due 07
Seriously. When blogs link to Rapidshare, I'm like "What the fuck do you think I am? Fuck this shit."

More or less the same feeling I get. Honestly, why upload anything in rapidshare?

Most pointless thing ever. Waiting time is absurd, and only one download for a few minutes. Mediafire is free for downloading multiple things and there's no waiting time. It's practically the saviour of the internet, if ever one to exist.
Quote by due 07

Nope.

K, on a free account mediafire's limit is roughly 200mb, whereas torrents don't have much of a limit, and and entire discography can be downloaded in one click via torrents.

I use both anyway I mediafire stuff if I'm too lazy to check what torrent site it's on.

Quote by severed-metal
More or less the same feeling I get. Honestly, why upload anything in rapidshare?

Most pointless thing ever. Waiting time is absurd, and only one download for a few minutes. Mediafire is free for downloading multiple things and there's no waiting time. It's practically the saviour of the internet, if ever one to exist.

I hate the 15 minute wait on rapidshare.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by severed-metal

Exactly. It's not like it costs money for a mediafire account (especially if you are only uploading smaller files like zipped albums). What kind of twisted-ass person uploads to those other atrocities? Nothing irks me more.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

I've never read a statement that is so full of contradictory whale semen in my life.

You mean to tell me that there is NO MUSIC at ALL made in "modern times", let's just say the last 15 years, that you think it worth listening to, yet you like "every genre"?

You're either a troll, or one of the largest and most inane imbeciles the planet has ever created.

I weep for your family and future generations, and may your short sighted beliefs in life and eternity have mercy on your soul.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
K, on a free account mediafire's limit is roughly 200mb, whereas torrents don't have much of a limit, and and entire discography can be downloaded in one click via torrents.

I use both anyway I mediafire stuff if I'm too lazy to check what torrent site it's on.
Well yeah, for bigger bands I generally use torrents (if I want the discography). But for the vast majority of music (that is never seeded adequately on torrent sites), Mediafire is where it's at.
Quote by due 07

Okay

Lunatic Soul- ambient proggy
King Crimson/Tool=heavier prog
The Cinematic Orchestra-jazz electro
The Roots-hip hop thats not gangtsa shit
Led Zeppelin=any quality rock n roll
Cadillac Sky=contempory bluegrass
DJ Shadow -electro
Sikth-math style metal
When I go to a website that has a fifteen minute wait, I generally think something along the lines of "What? I'm probably not even going to want the album in fifteen minutes. *exit*"
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
I like

Bob Marley
Led Zeppelin
Cadillac Sky and bluegrass
Opeth
King Crimson
James Taylor
Sikth
John Martyn
The Roots
The Cinematic Orchestra
DJ Shadow
Tool
Weather Report
Air
Chenical Brothers
Lunatic Soul
John Coltrane
Megadeth
The Police
Jedi Mind Tricks
Roni Size
De La Soul
Beastie Boys
Massive Attack
Leftfield
Nick Warren
James Zabiela
Paco De Lucia
Chick Corea
At The Gates
Jackson 5
Al Green
Marlena Shaw
Billie Holiday
Frank Sinatra
Dead Weather
James Brown

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Okay

Lunatic Soul- ambient proggy
King Crimson/Tool=heavier prog
The Cinematic Orchestra-jazz electro
The Roots-hip hop thats not gangtsa shit
Led Zeppelin=any quality rock n roll
Cadillac Sky=contempory bluegrass
DJ Shadow -electro
Sikth-math style metal
Close enough... You should listen to The Gaslight Anthem. Specifically, the album The '59 Sound.

Also, if you are into mathcore or math rock (not specifically metal), I know a few good bands.
Page 1 of 2