This is how I go about it:

- Assuming you're a cover band, choose 2-3 songs to do with them. They can choose one (from a list you give them ideally) and your choose two. Choose a fast song and a slow song, or if you're choosing songs that are really going to push the vocalist (think Christina A), do one of those. Tape all the songs with all the singers, listen to them after they've gone, decide which is the best, make the calls.

- If you're an originals band provide them with the recordings before they arrive so they can learn and practice with them. Choose one cover and one or two originals. Make sure the cover is similar in sound to what you want from the originals. Tape the performances and continue on as above.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Use Motley Crue's approach with Vince Neil: Not the greatest singer, but damn... the chicks loved him!

But seriously, try to get a gauge on stage presence too.
Yeah, as a singer, I expect to be given about three songs to learn and a reasonable amount of time to learn them. If they're covers, it should be up to me to get recordings. If they are originals, I expect you to provide them for me. I expect to show up and you will know the songs as a band, and you will expect me to know them well.

If you can't meet those expectations, then I don't really care if I meet yours or not. If you can, then it's all good.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It may seem a little obvious... but have you considered getting him to sing for you?

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Ok, there are three things you need to know about any vocalist.
*Can he sing?
*Does he have a personality that you can get along with?
*Is he reliable?

The first one is easy, either pick a cover for him to learn or provide him with a demo of your own stuff to learn then try him out, the second two are not so easy because people tend to behave differently with other people they've just met than with people who they have got to know better.

If he has a good voice, hang with him for a while, go for a couple of nights out with him, ect. If he seems like a person you can get along with, give him a probatory position for about 6 months, by then you should have found out if he's reliable or not and you can either welcome him as a full member or get rid of him.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 28, 2011,
6 months seems like kind of a while dontcha think? I give my new bandmates or side-band guys about 2-3 months. But I'm pretty Impatient and a little to trusting i guess.
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
You'd want to know abit about his vocal range, how many octaves does he range?
Like the highest note he can pull and the lowest.
What about harsh capabilities? (Probally doesn't matter outside of Metal but whatever).
METAL!
Quote by mastershake575
6 months seems like kind of a while dontcha think? I give my new bandmates or side-band guys about 2-3 months. But I'm pretty Impatient and a little to trusting i guess.

Possibly, it depends upon the person really, some people are very open and only take a few weeks to get to know their range of personalities, while others you may know your whole life and still be surprised by some of the things they say or do, I just personaly find six months to be about right, not too long, not to short.

Each to their own though, the important point here is that a probationary period for any new member is a useful thing to have.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Each to their own though, the important point here is that a probationary period for any new member is a useful thing to have.

It's a good point. I'm guessing you're like me and don't want to waste time at practice, just make a tight band ASAP and get out gigging. There's nothing quite like the 3rd wheel member dragging the entire thing down.

That's why I now have strict audition processes in place, including requirements for demos before I meet them and references if they can provide them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud