Embarrassing Question... but hey, we were all here.

I've asked a few people how to get better accuracy with my power chords (and pinky), only to get the profound response of "practice." But my question is... what is good practice to get this down? I've been learning Smells Like Teen Spirit, and while I have the verse down, the bridge is a little faster, and moves up the neck more.

So, UG, how did you get this down? I want productive practice, and I really don't know what to do other than slow the song down.

Thanks,
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
well power chords are pretty easy just keep learning songs that use them and practice them

theres really no way to pracitce them besides playing power chords
Quote by supersac
well power chords are pretty easy just keep learning songs that use them and practice them

theres really no way to pracitce them besides playing power chords

Practice? Slowing the song down, playing parts over and over until I get them... this is my predicament, lol.
Quote by dkeenan
Practice? Slowing the song down, playing parts over and over until I get them... this is my predicament, lol.

yes do both
do them at the same time if you can

play random power chords up and down the neck until you can play any power chord at a moments notice
I'm pretty sure the verse of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is just letting the high C and F ring out? No power chords there.

I think the only thing you can do with power chords is play them over and over again and then you'll gain strength and endurance (when i started it pained me to do powerchords for a whole song, now i can last a few).

There are heaps of ways to finger power chords too (cause they're not really chords as they only consist of 2 notes). I started off with my 1st and 3rd playing the first and fifth. Then i started adding the octave so i used my first, third and fourth to play the first, fifth and higher octave, then i found it easier to bar the fifth and octave with my third finger. Then i started learning more complex chords and found that the pinky on the fifth allowed more freedom for all these wierd jazz chords i had to play. AND NOW FINALLY, i only use my 1st and 4th fingers for power chords.

I'm pretty sure that's all the permutations of the power chord...

Toodles, Julz.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
I'm pretty sure the verse of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is just letting the high C and F ring out? No power chords there.

I think the only thing you can do with power chords is play them over and over again and then you'll gain strength and endurance (when i started it pained me to do powerchords for a whole song, now i can last a few).

There are heaps of ways to finger power chords too (cause they're not really chords as they only consist of 2 notes). I started off with my 1st and 3rd playing the first and fifth. Then i started adding the octave so i used my first, third and fourth to play the first, fifth and higher octave, then i found it easier to bar the fifth and octave with my third finger. Then i started learning more complex chords and found that the pinky on the fifth allowed more freedom for all these wierd jazz chords i had to play. AND NOW FINALLY, i only use my 1st and 4th fingers for power chords.

I'm pretty sure that's all the permutations of the power chord...

Toodles, Julz.

Well the structure of SLTS is a little different, so maybe its the chorus (I'm sure you know which part I'm talking about hopefully, lol). Everytime I play it at full speed I always seem to put my pinky and ring finger on the same string. I really don't know why, unless my muscles just ain't quite there yet.
just keep learning new songs with powerchords, its just a strength and dexterity thing that comes from doing it. if you really need something other than playing to do then try hold out your hand palm to you and touch alternating fingers to your thumb together and stuff like that
Learn songs that use them, I learned A LOT of Green Day songs when I started.
The best way to practice power chords is to learn how to play proper chords...after all a power chord is just part of a normal major or minor chord. You can finger it exactly the same way, you just don't play all the notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Like everyone said. "practice" alot of songs with power chords in them. You'll get faster, it just takes time. Remember, some of the power chords some people tab higher on the fretboard you can hit on the a string and keep the chords you are playing off the E closer together. Try learning "3 Doors Down, It's Not My Time". The chords are close together and there are only 4 of them, plus the changes aren't that fast.