There is a recording I made on my profile and I would really appreciate it if someone would go listen to it and tell me what the meters are because I cannot figure it out. I think it may be 4/4 then changes to 5/8, but once again, not sure. Please help, thanks
Until almost the end, it's 6/8 or 3/4 (same thing). Towards the end you do an extra phrase so it comes out to 6/4. Tab it out and decide how you want it to be written. Time sigs are not as crucial as the music itself. Rush and Soundgarden writes their music and only after it's finished do they decide to look at the possible time signatures.
^ 6/8 and 3/4 are not at all the same thing. it is a common misconception that they are, but they are not similar. 6/8 is compound time, and actually has 2 beats that are each a dotted quarter note. 3/4 has 3 beats that are a quarter note.
Your first 16 seconds are in 6/8, which is a compound-duple time consisting of two beats broken down into three notes, as jof1029 has stated.
At the end, you have a 10/8 - quadruple time - split into two compound beats and two simple beats, or in other words, two lots of three followed by two lots of two. This has the same function as a bar of 6/8 (compound duple) followed immediately by 2/4 (simple duple), so either form of notation is fine, depending on what is more suitable in the context of the piece.

The term Compound refers to allotments of three notes per beat, while Simple refers to lots of two per beat; all conventional odd time signatures can be broken down into groupings of two and three!
On the other side of things, Duple specifies that there would be two beats in bar, while Triple specifies three, and Quadruple specifies four.

As an example, 9/8 would be a Compound Triple, as it is divided into three equal portions; three beats (Triple) with three notes each (Compound).
Contrastingly, 3/4 is a Simple Triple, as it is divided into three equal portions (Triple) with two notes each (Simple).
4/4, or common time, is a Simple Quadruple, as it is divided into four portions (Quadruple) with two notes each (Simple).

It's a nice riff you've got there, by the way - it'd be great to hear what becomes of it!
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 12, 2011,