I want to record myself playing, i have a dynamic cardioid mic, I have an XLR mic cable, but i want to connect the mic to my computer through usb directly. Is this possible, and what do i need to do it? (I hear there are cables with built in soundcards?)
Basically, what do i need to mic an amp.
You need a michael first of all, to capture the sound
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by ananikangel
I want to record myself playing, i have a dynamic cardioid mic, I have an XLR mic cable, but i want to connect the mic to my computer through usb directly. Is this possible, and what do i need to do it? (I hear there are cables with built in soundcards?)
Basically, what do i need to mic an amp.

Only thing I know of that goes "direct to usb" and has a "built in soundcard" is a lightsnake. They have one issue that troubles most, a huge issue with latency. If you are playing and 'monitoring' from a regular amp, and your input to the computer via a lightsnake, you wont have any problem really. The biggest issue is when you try to play into the computer, and you are monitoring your performance via the computer. Then, there is a latency issue that will bother most players. If you can play and ignore this latency, then you'll be ok. I use one to record at times, and I monitor from the amp, so I never hear the latency. For the price of the cable ($40.00 here) it is a good investment if you don't need high end recording quality. It works good for us noobs that just want to post youtube vids.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Only thing I know of that goes "direct to usb" and has a "built in soundcard" is a lightsnake

Most audio interfaces are USB and act as soundcards.

TS, what you need is an audio interface with an XLR mic input (which most have). Something like a Line 6 UX1/2 or an M-Audio Fast Track.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 11, 2011,