Geez, haven't been on UG in forever...

So I've been playing for roughly 3 years, but I never really sat down and just practiced for a month straight. By practice I mean theory and proper technique over "Let's just play parts of songs I know." It's a laziness issue which I must overcome, but I digress. I even purposefully took the past 3 months off from playing in the hopes of re-teaching myself properly.

Anyway, I've always picked parallel to the strings. That is to say, take your pick and lie it flat against the string. That's how I've been playing. What are the downsides to this and is tilting your pick absolutely essential? I feel as if I should tilt my pick albeit not at the 45 degrees which I keep seeing. If I were to tilt my pick I would have the "front" of the pick facing downward instead of up (right-handed, by the way).

Last, but certainly not least, is the issue of strumming versus picking individual notes. For strumming would it be OK to continue as I've been doing and just tilt my pick whilst picking individual notes or should I tilt it all the time?

Kind of getting back into the swing of things so thanks for putting up with another newbie's questions, all.
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
i've seen lessons and such that say to pick with an angle because they say it's easier for the pick to go through the string, but my regular picking has always been as "parallel" as i could manage. i just always thought the excessive pick attack was annoying when used on every note.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
If you want to be as serious, percise, and ergonomically correct as possible when it comes to guitar, I strongly suggest learning not only titlting the pick, but sarod picking as well. Check out PBguitarstudio.com and under video downloads in the right hand technique section you will find some videos to get you started.

But if your more of a casual player overall and don't have the time for starting completely over I would stick to flat picking with more wrist motion rather than arm.

Just my two cents however, not everyones opinion will be the same.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Well I would like to minor in music (physics major starting this fall) because I want to move to bass and drums along with piano and violin in the future so I guess I could take the "serious" path to learn correctly.

I'll wait a little while to hear some more opinions on this matter, but thank you both for your thoughts.

You don't have to angle it at 45 degrees, you can angle it less than that if you want. Personally I tilt it about 20 degrees. The reason why it's easier to pick with the pick at an angle is because you'll be picking with the edge of the pick, which has less surface area, which means less friction. There's nothing wrong with picking with the pick parallel with the strings, there's just a bit more resistance. Another factor also is sound. If you experiment a bit you'll notice they both produce different sounds, so you could try and see what kind of sound you like.
slightly tilting is fine as long as notes sound clear

If you were standing up while playing you pick would be inevitably tilted unless you hang your guitar like Shawn Lane, dont make too big of a deal out of it
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Well great. Thanks to all who answered. There's definitely a difference in the sound produced, but the titling, especially on the lighter strings of my acoustic, ring much quieter.

I tilt my pick at times too. If it works for you then there shouldn't be a problem.
It´s personal prefrence really, i play parallel since i like to get a clean note when i pick. If i angle it i can get a bit more chuggy sound that might be good for rhythm, but as said i prefer the clean one.

Paul gilbert talks about this here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
sickz has it down.

I angle when I want scratchy tone.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)