I like to tune lower, I'm not fully sure why.
But I do.

I'm talking about.. anywhere from 1 half step down to 5 half steps down.

Past a whole step down normal tension nylon strings start getting pretty loose.

And this brings me to wonder if high tension strings on a classical guitar drop tuned say 3 half steps, would provide the same or similar tension to normal tension strings on a classical guitar tuned to E standard?

or what do you think? Thanks.
I have normal strings on my classical, and I have it tuned to Open C and it feels fine.

E down 2 steps to C.
A down 1 step to G.
D down 1 step to C.
G stays the same.
B UP 1 step to C.
E stays the same.

The nylon isn't really tuned down at all, I didn't realize until after I finished typing. Will post anyways.
Nylon strings only have about half the tension of steel strings. At some point, you're just going to reach a point where there's no energy to drive the top of the guitar, and volume and tone are going to suffer; as well as getting a lot of string buzz.

Up to that point, you can fool with such tunings as you like. If you want to play with other musicians you'd best invest in a good capo.....
to the first post. aw cheers yeah I guess you are still tuned lower with some strings though haha.

and.. good point, i guess you'll need a certain tension to drive the guitar.

good.

hmm haha yah.

but still wondering if anyone knows if i would be able to compensate the loss of tension with higher tension nylon strings? or would that not work? cheers,
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Originally Posted by Sol9989:
I cum blood
never gonna give you up,
all fap together
to 2 girls 1 cup?
If you use hard tension, or extra hard tension, you should be fine for where you want to tune.
I use Thomastik Infeld Classic S on my Godin Multiac, which I regularly downtune for slide. The Classic S has a couple of pounds higher tension than most strings to start with, are a wire rope core (unless you get the version with the plain steel #1) with nylon wrap on strings 1-3, stabilize within a day, and can take repeated downtuning/retuning to standard without any annoying additional settling time. Expensive, though. Classical purists hate them, but I suspect you're not one if you're inquiring about downtuning a nylon guitar. You can even get some bending out of them.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jul 17, 2011,