Hi. I have an MIM Fender Telecaster that Is in a sunburst color that I am starting to hate. Its to boring for me. Would it effect the sound of my guitar if I wrapped it in duct tape entirely (avoiding all of the electronics of course)? Leave any other suggestions that I could do to customize the look of my guitar if you hate the idea of me covering my guitar in duct tape. Thanks.
send it to me and play air guitar instead
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
try it on a squier before a mim brahh. that shit's not coming off clean if you decide you don't like it.
Hey, Noodlez from the Offspring played a duct tape covered guitar. Ibanez even released a guitar covered in duct tape then finished with a gloss over top.
Quote by assparade69
try it on a squier before a mim brahh. that shit's not coming off clean if you decide you don't like it.

Thats probably a better idea. I'll put a bunch of duct tape on my 50 dollar ebay guitar.
meh, it wont affect your guitar. it'll leave a sticky residue when you take it off, which you could probs remove with a rag and some water or something.

but considerings its going to look utterly terrible, heres some other suggestions.
change the pickguard,
change all the hardware,
get a big sticker of something cool like your bands name or some profound words,
as someone said, scuff sand it and then apply some stripes or repaint the entire thing,
change all the knobs to gaming knobs and put a joystick somewhere on it,
get a strip of lights that run off battery's, and run them around the edge of your guitar so the outline lights up,
and thats just off top of my head.

if you go ahead with duct tape, get some different coloured electrical tape, and make the whole thing different coloured stripes.
Quote by Doonan
meh, it wont affect your guitar. it'll leave a sticky residue when you take it off, which you could probs remove with a rag and some water or something.

but considerings its going to look utterly terrible, heres some other suggestions.
change the pickguard,
change all the hardware,
get a big sticker of something cool like your bands name or some profound words,
as someone said, scuff sand it and then apply some stripes or repaint the entire thing,
change all the knobs to gaming knobs and put a joystick somewhere on it,
get a strip of lights that run off battery's, and run them around the edge of your guitar so the outline lights up,
and thats just off top of my head.

if you go ahead with duct tape, get some different coloured electrical tape, and make the whole thing different coloured stripes.

I kind of want it to look horrible. haha. I was at a show today where some guy TOTALLY ****ed up his strat and I thought it looked pretty cool and it got me thinking what could I do to my guitar. And my first thought was duct tape.
It will both look, and sound worse than before. A waste of an instrument, no matter how good or bad it was, it will not be an improvement.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
It will both look, and sound worse than before. A waste of an instrument, no matter how good or bad it was, it will not be an improvement.

Why would it sound worse?
Quote by MrCloudshoe
less reverberation. tbh, i dont think you'd be able to hear the difference with your ears. plus if youre playing with your amp, you'll hear even less of the difference.
basically, it will suck (at least aesthetically). Sand the damn thing, then repaint it.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
Quote by MrCloudshoe
I kind of want it to look horrible.

Drag the guitar body behind a car for a mile or so.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
Drag the guitar body behind a car for a mile or so.

That would actually be a cool look. IF the guitar survives the ordeal.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
What if I just spray painted it? Without sanding? Or even with sanding would spray paint work?
Well you know TS, You can just buy a roll of duct tape right now, take out the innards, cover it in tape, reinstall the electronics and see if it looks okay. It'l take you maybe 30 minutes. If you don't like it, remove it and move on to something else. Duct tape won't hurt the electronics.. it's not a computer. It's a few potentiometers and some wire.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I'll post pictures after the cheapie is done and I'll see if i'll do it to my tele
wrap it in toilet paper and call it THE MUMMY GUITAR OOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Looks horrible as far as I'm concerned. I don't know why you would ever do that.

But, go for it.

agreed!
Screw it. I'll just cough up 200 bucks to get it painted professionally. It will look a lot better that way anyways. Thanks everybody. I'm thinking some kind of neon green so it would still be different looking.

Something like that.
I had a bass once I covered in ductape. I drew a duck on it with sharpie and called it the "ductbass"

It scared all my poon away.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by MrCloudshoe

Because anything you put over a piece of wood, be it lacquer, or anything else you'd want to put over it, will mute the natural vibrations of a guitar's wooden body. If you want to find out for sure, try what I did and get a build-it-yourself model guitar from ebay(unless you actually have a lot of money to waste), put it together and try it first without cover, then paint it after and try again. It'll sound a lot different, worse in my opinion. Another suggestion is comparing an all black-lacquer acoustic guitar, which seem to be in fashion these days, with one with transparent, preferably thin lacquer.

The difference is tremendous, and not solely so for acoustic guitars but all isntruments as a whole. Even so much that some guitars with damage will never get repaired simply because of original luthiers having died, and the supposed repairing luthiers not daring to touch the instrument due to the unknown formula of the lacquer. Guitar sounds have often been, although partially, contributed to the lacquer.

Of course this little tidbit is something not as relevant or interesting to most of you, I can however assure you that ducttape will in no way contribute to it's sound, which is a shame of an instrument.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Try checking out Guitar Fetish, they have Tele bodies pretty cheap (for about $50-60) an some even come pre-painted. If you get one just take all the electronics, hardware and neck and put it on the new body and see if you like it.
I pride myself on my humility.
If you want to put duct tape on it, put a layer of painter's tape down first. The painter's tape won't leave residue on the guitar.
When are people going to learn that making shit and/or covering shit with ductape isn't cool at all?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by MrCloudshoe
Screw it. I'll just cough up 200 bucks to get it painted professionally. It will look a lot better that way anyways. Thanks everybody. I'm thinking some kind of neon green so it would still be different looking.

Something like that.

THERE IS A GODDDDDD
That neon green is actually pretty sexy, especially with the black hardware.

IMO, get it if you want to change the hardware to black, and if you don't then I second the aforementioned idea of dragging it behind your car for a mile. Relics are much more authentic when they're finished normally and battered about outside of a factory.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.