Hey everybody. Just a quick little backstory before I get into it.

I recently purchased a new Jackson Rhoads V at guitar center, and of course, I plugged it into one of the many marshall amps they have around the store to test it out. When I got home, I promptly plugged it into my crappy Ibanez amp that came with my starter pack guitar two years ago >_> Needless to say, it sounded nothing like the store's marshall. That's when I realized I needed an upgrade.

But, that guitar wasn't cheap, and now i'm a bit tight on cash. If anybody can help me out with finding an amp or two to compare I'd appreciate it.

Style: LOTS of metal/rock, crank up that gain.
Budget: I really don't want to spend more than $200, but I'd go up to $250 if totally NECESSARY.

Really what i'm looking for is something that doesn't sound really muddy when I turn up the gain. Clean tones I couldn't care less about. And effects aren't too important to me at this point, but they'd be nice.
No offense but upgrading a guitar before upgrading the amp often leads to stories like yours.

That said. $250 won't get you much - at least not new. The Vypyr 75 is $275 new and that is what I recommend for what you play. High gain - low watts - low budget often do not =

I bought my Vypyr 60 tube for $315 and it does an excellent job for what it is designed to do.
The Vyper 75 if you can strech your budget, if not look at the Vyper 30 You can get it for $200 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I keep hearing about the Vyper, is it all that good without the effects?

As in, should I try to get more of a better sound w/o effects for around the same price? Or is the amp good + extra effects?
Quote by Ragu35
I keep hearing about the Vyper, is it all that good without the effects?

As in, should I try to get more of a better sound w/o effects for around the same price? Or is the amp good + extra effects?

Yes, it's great without all the effects. All I run on my Vypyr 15 is phaser, chorus, flanger, and some of the Reverb and delay. Those may seem like a lot, but I use those sparingly. There are tons of other FX to use as well.

And you probs wont find a straight up amp better than the Vypyr for the budget you have.

Enjoy the Rhoads man, one of my fav guitars.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
thanks I think i'll end up getting the 30W

Only thing i've heard bad about it is that sometimes the electronics freeze on the Vypyr. Has this happened to anybody here?
Buy from American musical and they give you a free 1 yr waranty on top of the manufacure one. Thank god I had it when my SVHD100 shit the bed 9 months after the factory waranty went. I paid $52 shiping and they fixed the probem, no problem( It would have cost me @$250-$300)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got a Vypyr 75 but it kept freezing so I returned it to the store and got a Valveking 112 instead. I highly recommend it. You can probably find it used for your budget.
Quote by Ragu35

Only thing i've heard bad about it is that sometimes the electronics freeze on the Vypyr. Has this happened to anybody here?

I am an avid Vypyr user, and it has happened to me a couple times. Once on my 15W, once on my 75W. Both issues resolved themselves in a matter of hours. I have had no problems whatsoever on my Vypyr Tube though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I am an avid Vypyr user, and it has happened to me a couple times. Once on my 15W, once on my 75W. Both issues resolved themselves in a matter of hours. I have had no problems whatsoever on my Vypyr Tube though.

Jesus, you really are a Peavey fanboy.

A 15W, 75W, and a 60 Tube Vypyr?

Plus a 5150?

Damn son.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I sold the 15 forever ago, and I have a 120H, not the 60, as well as the 75. But yeah... >.>

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd rather not buy anything online because I want to test it out before I buy. I'll probably be heading to guitar center one of these days.