Hey guys,

I've just got my band up and running, we've jammed a few times, we're working well, and we have material that we've all written to play, which is working nicely.

I've recorded some rough instrumental demos of my originals, which we're using as a guide for rehearsal and building on etc.

My question is this: We're a while away from going into a proper studio (we're working on one song at a time so we get them spot on, and we don't want to go to a studio with just one song to record). Would it be advisable to put the rough demos up on our Facebook page for people to get an idea of what we sound like?

By rough, I mean I've recorded everything myself. The drums are programmed but sound pretty good for what they are, and the guitar and bass has been done direct. There aren't any vocals because I and our other vocalist lack a decent mic to do them.

Currently our fanbase consists of our friends (as you'd expect from an originals band just starting out) but we may be able to work a support slot or two from a band who are releasing their EP soon (5ish weeks) that we are friends with.

Thanks in advance
Don't release unfinished songs dude. Ill just listen to the tracks and go "oh it's a crappy instrumental band".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Don't release unfinished songs dude. Ill just listen to the tracks and go "oh it's a crappy instrumental band".

They can have their status as "vocals to be recorded soon, get ready!" and it'll be fine.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it's always good to have something to show you know. But I guess you're right, most of the people who follow us haven't heard me or any of the other members play before, so it may be wiser to wait.

Ok, I guess my next question is are there any real guidelines to the quality that can be released or is it really a "play it by ear" sort of thing? We may be able to do some better recordings with vocals at the place we rehearse in the next two or three weeks.

Cheers.
Quote by xharass_natox
They can have their status as "vocals to be recorded soon, get ready!" and it'll be fine.

Yeah, and a proviso saying "skill and tightness of band also expected eventually".

Personally I wouldn't release any recordings until you have some you feel happy with giving to venue owners, managers and promoters and say "this is what my band sounds like, book us on the strength of these songs". I would be very surprised if you got to that point in just a couple of weeks. I'd say on average after 3-4 months of weekly I'd have a band I was personally happy with the tightness and sound, and ready to give out recordings.

That's for original bands though. Cover bands can be done a lot faster as there's no need to write and arrange new songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It really depends how quickly you expect to have "expert" recordings. If you'll have the real thing within a couple of months, it's really not worth it - make your first exposure to people through social media as good as it can be.

On the other hand, if you're planning to gig significantly before doing any high-quality recordings, it might be worth throwing up the current ones just to have *something* for people and venues to listen to. (More as a general point, I presume you do plan to add vocals and production reasonably soon).
Quote by xharass_natox

First impressions are everything. If you don't capture the audience in the first 5 to 20 seconds of the recording, they will never come back. Ever. No matter what the fine print says cause no one will read it.

I get audition recordings (and links) for music and voices all the time for my work, realistically I listen to the first few seconds and decide if I am even going to bother with the rest of it. If I have rejected an "artist" previously and they update or send a new recording, chances are I won't give it another try (realistically my assistant won't even pass it along).

Bitter reality of the world, I am not the only decision maker who works this way. Time is money and there are too many already polished acts and talent out there who need a buyer, It is counter productive for me to have to work with an amateur act with potential but aren't ready. I am pretty sure that a venue booking agents works very similar to the way I do.

You will of course attract a lot of "if you pay us, we will make you stars" types of inquiries though.

Maybe your "fans" will be more tolerant than people in the business, but when it comes to family and friends, maybe do a couple private shows live for them, just don't put unfinished work up on public display.
Last edited by Quintex at Jul 11, 2011,
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. We're gonna keep going, though in a month we're gonna work with a friend of ours who does good quality recordings, just so we have a complete demo track or two to show people our sound. We're all good enough musicians to be able to manage to nail at least 2 tracks in that time, especially since most of the songs I write are quite easy to learn and arrange.

We're not going for CD quality pristine recordings, but they'll be better than what we have, and good enough to go up on a Facebook page to give an idea of what we sound like.

for the input guys, it's been helpful.
If you have rough recordings up for the public to view I'd suggest having them at least complete.

And at the same time, I'd suggest not promoting yourself much until you do have some complete recordings up.

If you gig at all, good placeholders for audio recordings are videos embedded onto whatever social networking site/s you're using to promote yourself.