Hey y'all !

I would like to remove my Boss reverb pedal from my pedalboard and use the reveb on my amp instead to limit signal loss from the crappy Boss buffer.

Is using the Reverb knob on my amp the same as having the Reverb pedal at the end of the pedal chain ? Or is it a bad idea ?

Thanks !
Quote by WtrPlyr
Yes, it's the same. It'll probably even sound better.

wat

The reverb from the amp is completely different to the pedal reverb. For one thing, amp reverb is generally spring reverb, in that it comes from a tank, whereas a pedal's reverb is digital and generated by chips.

As far as sound goes, it depends on what you want out of your reverb. If you want cascading, huge sound, it can be pretty hard to get that out of an amp's spring reverb tank. If you just want simple, slight 'room-like' reverb then your amp's reverb might be better suited.

There's nothing wrong with pedal reverb either and not all amps have good reverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
And also, you generally want reverb right at the end of the chain, after the preamp but before the power amp. If you are using a pedal reverb and your amp doesn't have an fx loop, it will sound very odd before the distortion channel (if you are using amp distortion) as your signal with the reverb will be being distorted, not the distored signal having reverb applied to it.
Why don't you just leave the pedal off and use the amp reverb and if it gives you the sound you want, take the pedal off your board. If it doesn't achieve the sound you want, keep the pedal on your board.
No you see, I'm trying to get rid of a pedal to prevent tone loss from Boss pedal.

I would like to know if using the amp's reverb is like using a pedal at the end of the chain.
I'm using an OD pedal, so what am I "reverbing"?
Have you taken the Boss out of your chain yet? How do you know that removing it will help your tone?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The reverb in the amp is after (or within) the preamp - like the effects loop. Whether or not your Boss pedal will suck tone in the loop is pretty much down to one thing and one thing only - is it a series or parallel loop? So; what amp? Your Blues Junior? They don't have an FX loop at all do they?

Edit: Just looking at the schematic. There is one interesting possibility I would try if it was my amp. The Reverb pan is buffered by TL072 op-amps. You should be able to replace the spring reverb with your pedal. You'd need a couple of phono to RCA cables to achieve it. That would effectively put the pedal in a parallel loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 11, 2011,
series ? parallel loop ? I don't know what that is...

I know the pedal is sucking tone. I just want to know if the reverb know on the amp affects the end of the chain.
The reverb in the amp is on it's own circuit that feeds the reverb wet signal into the power amp in parallel with the main signal. It receives whatever is fed into the amp but it is pretty much irrelevant to what is on your board out front. The two things are as good as unrelated.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I see thanks!

So there is no "best solution" between Reverb on amp, and reverb pedal ?
Apart from what I already told you. If you prefer the pedal's actual reverb to the spring reverb in the amp then you could try replacing the tank with it using a couple of RCA to phono adapters. Looking at the schematic I reckon it would work fine. You'd have to run the pedal totally wet if you do try it that way. It would effectively give you a parallel FX loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 11, 2011,
Yeah. You should be able to see them going into the reverb tank. You can buy adapters to convert from those plugs to phono jacks like on the pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ohh right I see now. So that would be if I wanted to sound of the pedal without toneloss from my pedalboard, right?
Or get a reverb with true bypass??? If you like how the amp reverb sounds, then use it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by alans056
ohh right I see now. So that would be if I wanted to sound of the pedal without toneloss from my pedalboard, right?

Correct. The main signal goes right past it and the part fed to the reverb takes a different path and adds over the top of the main signal right before the power amp. What you have now with the pedal out the front is the entire signal going through the pedal.
I've never tried what I am suggesting but electronically speaking I can't see why it wouldn't work well and all you'd need to try it is a couple of cheap adapters from Radio Shack. It's certainly worth a try.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Grawgos
Why don't you just leave the pedal off and use the amp reverb and if it gives you the sound you want, take the pedal off your board. If it doesn't achieve the sound you want, keep the pedal on your board.

What he said!

I have what I consider to be a nice amp, but the built in spring reverb is weak. My Boss RV-5 better suits my liking. Try both ways and see what you like.
thanks a lot for this info I will definetly try it out

once again I learn new stuff !
Quote by IbanezBossShred
What he said!

I have what I consider to be a nice amp, but the built in spring reverb is weak. My Boss RV-5 better suits my liking. Try both ways and see what you like.

No, I don't like the pedal sucking tone.
In my experience boss has fairly good bypass?
You could do what cathbard suggests, that guy knows his shit
Or you could look into a buffer box or true bypass box like grawgos suggests.
A true bypass box bypasses the pedal completely [so no tone loss] when it's not active, but when the pedal is active their will be the same tone loss.
I don't actually know how well buffer boxes work, but here's an example of one:
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-miscellaneous-gear-c-602_112/solidgold-fx-buffer-p-2008
RIP Gooze

cats
Go to cmatmods website and read his description, he explains it better than I can.

I figure if you get that and it works, then you dont have to mod the amp, store the reverb tank, the amp is original if you want sell it and you can have the buffer in the chain on any amp.
Last edited by Grawgos at Jul 12, 2011,
Mental breakdown alert.....

So your Boss reverb pedal is causing toneloss and you come online to ask if it's better to remove it and use the built in reverb on your Fender amp. Why do you need to ask? It's your sound, use your own ears. Instead of reading and believing the gear snobs that state that Boss pedals cause toneloss, unplug it, use the built in reverb and find out for yourself. There are no rules.

The list of guitar heroes using Boss pedals is enormous, they're not rubbish like many will tell you.

Also, toneloss relates to the sound when it's bypassed so using the built in reverb is irrelevant.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Last edited by Dilberto at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by Dilberto
Mental breakdown alert.....

So your Boss reverb pedal is causing toneloss and you come online to ask if it's better to remove it and use the built in reverb on your Fender amp. Why do you need to ask? It's your sound, use your own ears. Instead of reading and believing the gear snobs that state that Boss pedals cause toneloss, unplug it, use the built in reverb and find out for yourself. There are no rules.

The list of guitar heroes using Boss pedals is enormous, they're not rubbish like many will tell you.

Also, toneloss relates to the sound when it's bypassed so using the built in reverb is irrelevant.

That's what I was saying in my first response. Who cares what is doing what to what and when, the only thing that matters is if you're getting the sound you want. But if TS has tone suck on the brain, then a buffer should cure it.
why not try a different reverb pedal? I swear by my EHX Holy Grail

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quit worrying because you've read the 'Boss pedals suck' theory when you're playing an epiphone into a Behringer tuner.........
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.