Hey I wrote a post before but I decided to rewrite it cause it kind sounded weird...ok.

I know there are 2 approaches to soloing over a progression. If the progression was in A minor I know you can use A Aeolian or A pentatonic to solo over all the chords..or you can solo over the chords individually. Now this is where I get confused...

Say the song was in Am and the Am tonality was firmly established from the diatonic chords of Am. Now say the Em comes up. Well I know Em pentatonic works great and is still diatonic to the key of the song. BUT now what if I wanted to use a minor scale to solo over that chord such as E dorian? The F# and C# are not part of the key of the song so does that mean I cannot do it?

SOmeone on here told me that you can only use A Aeolian and A pentatonic and thats it. I am really confused...
Last edited by Unreal T at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by Unreal T

SOmeone on here told me that you can only use A Aeolian and A pentatonic and thats it. I am really confused...

That's likely referring to the scale's function. If your song is in A minor, you'll be playing in A minor and any outside notes (from different scales) will be treated as accidentals. You can play any note you want, which means you can use any scale you want. However, knowing when to play inside and outside of the key is important to becoming a great player. I'll begin by saying that using the A minor or A minor pentatonic is the safest choice for a perfectly diatonic harmony. However, safe does not always equate to interesting, especially when art is involved.

There are a lot of implications to playing different intervals over different chords, but I suggest you try out as many combinations as you can think of. Playing the F# over that Em will sound fine, but it will lessen the pull to the E note that you would normally get from the natural minor's F. Try playing F -> E and F -> G over the Em chord and the next time, try F# -> E and then F# -> G. See what you think. Feel how it changes the sound. The C# can lead you into D, the minor seventh of Em (a good choice) or it can be simply used as harmonizing with a major sixth (another fine choice.) The C# can even imply a Em6 chord, which will give you some interesting color. The world is your oyster, dude.

Finally, a bit of friendly advice. Don't go around saying the word "mode" around here unless you want a wild thread of senseless arguing. When you have a key, you'd be using a Dorian scale (scale based off of the mode) and not a mode itself.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by Unreal T
Hey I wrote a post before but I decided to rewrite it cause it kind sounded weird...ok.

I know there are 2 approaches to soloing over a progression. If the progression was in A minor I know you can use A Aeolian or A pentatonic to solo over all the chords..or you can solo over the chords individually. Now this is where I get confused...

Say the song was in Am and the Am tonality was firmly established from the diatonic chords of Am. Now say the Em comes up. Well I know Em pentatonic works great and is still diatonic to the key of the song. BUT now what if I wanted to use a minor mode/scale to solo over that chord such as E dorian? The F# and C# are not part of the key of the song so does that mean I cannot do it?

So? do it anyway. It's not like it's illegal or anything. Yore not going to be thrown in jail for using a different scale. If you don't like it, try a different scale.
Quote by thrashdeth
So? do it anyway. It's not like it's illegal or anything. Yore not going to be thrown in jail for using a different scale. If you don't like it, try a different scale.

Shhhh! Not so loud, buddy...the Scale Police might hear you.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by thrashdeth

haha...verry funny!
Quote by Unreal T
Say the song was in Am and the Am tonality was firmly established from the diatonic chords of Am. Now say the Em comes up. Well I know Em pentatonic works great and is still diatonic to the key of the song. BUT now what if I wanted to use a minor scale to solo over that chord such as E dorian? The F# and C# are not part of the key of the song so does that mean I cannot do it?

What do you mean by cannot? Of course you can, you can use any note you like. If it sounds good, play it. If it doesn't, don't. Rules in music are there to be twisted, bent, broken, defiled, humiliated and punished in any way you can think of. Dare to be different.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Unreal T

You can do what you like. Try it.

I believe that what you will find is that you're climbing up the wrong ladder. Because at some point, I expect a post by someone that says "They've tried everything" and it still doesn't sound good.

In my opinion the secret comes from understanding, and learning to do things and apply them intelligently. Not paint by number.

"Well wait, I know the sky is blue, but I have red, so does that mean I cant paint it red. Why does it have to be blue?"

I mean, do as you like, it's your picture. You can be as random as you like.

Burn your jets.

Best,

Sean