If I were to buy all of these would my guitar's tuning stay better in tune if I were to use the tremolo bar?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Well, yes, but adding a locking nut is usually a last resort. Unless you've got a floyd, you probably don't need one. A good setup, proper stringing technique, and keeping the nut lubricated properly when you change strings should keep a good guitar in tune quite well.

Locking tuners can help but are not necessary. A locking bridge is more for vibration transfer/tone and easier restringing, so unless there's something wrong with your bridge, a locking one won't really help.

Tell us what guitar you're using. If you've got a squier strat and you're divebombing the bar every five minutes, you're never going to stay in tune.
I've got a MIM Fender Strat and basically I want to be able to use the tremolo onstage without the fear of going out of tune too badly. Now I won't be doing divebombs and things of that nature, but some decent tremolo usage is what this whole tuning fix is about.

I was just wondering, since I wouldn't be able to purchase everything and do it all at once, which upgrade seems more impactful at first?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Graphite shavings in the nut usually have a bigger impact than you'd think,A good set up is overlooked too.Try the simple solutions before you going splashing the cash.
I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Agreed. If you don't know how to do a setup, take a look through the setup sticky in EG. Learn how to adjust your trem (maybe add a spring), lube the nut, adjust the trem screws, and lock the strings to the pegs when restringing. If you're still having problems, start with a set of locking tuners. Schaller makes a set that will drop into a MIM.
i'm a strat guy and have found that if you set the bridge to float this will help as a little pull up is often enough to unkink the strings at the nut. as mentioned a good setup is needed. make sure the strings are in as straight a line going across the nut as possible. locking tuners will help. a graphite nut will also help but the real critical point is making sure the nut is properly cut and ideally cut so the string gauge you use can slide thru the nut with minimal friction.
Is this a graphite nut? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Graph-Tech-Slotted-Trem-Nut-for-Stratocaster-360450-i1129701.gc

Is it easy to cut the nut to the precise measurements? But then what if I decide to change string gauges?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
Is this a graphite nut? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Graph-Tech-Slotted-Trem-Nut-for-Stratocaster-360450-i1129701.gc

Is it easy to cut the nut to the precise measurements? But then what if I decide to change string gauges?

it says its teflon not which if im not mistaken is a type of plastic. still a good not but not graphite o.0
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EncoreBlade

that nut would work however i wouldn't suggest trying to do the work yourself if you don't have the experience. as for changing string gauges a properly cut nut doesn't necessarily mean you are stuck with one gauge however it will limit you if you decide to get much heavier strings.
Quote by fly135
Have you lubricated the nut as suggested above?

This. Do you have any intention of actually improving your guitar or are you just buying things because you're too lazy to actually figure out the problem? That's a good nut, but a single restring and a 10 second lube job at the nut would tell you whether it would actually do anything beneficial for your guitar. If your nut is fine, that Graphtec is a waste of time. It's not expensive, but replacing a nut isn't something you should do just because you feel like it.

To answer the question - it's teflon impregnated with graphite. I don't think anyone makes a pure graphite nut.
Quote by EspTro
it says its teflon not which if im not mistaken is a type of plastic. still a good not but not graphite o.0

Teflon, the slipperiest material known to man according to them. Frankly, the work great, much better than the graphite in the nut thing, though, they do wear out over time, as I've found out, the material gets too compressed and is no longer super slippery after about 5 years of hard hard use. But that's a good trade off for nice gliding strings for 5 years for only $15.
Quote by EncoreBlade
I've got a MIM Fender Strat and basically I want to be able to use the tremolo onstage without the fear of going out of tune too badly. Now I won't be doing divebombs and things of that nature, but some decent tremolo usage is what this whole tuning fix is about.

I was just wondering, since I wouldn't be able to purchase everything and do it all at once, which upgrade seems more impactful at first?

Fender lsr roller nut and locking tuners......seems to work really well for Jeff beck
If the nut is well cut and lubricated, and you string and tune the guitar correctly (and you don't have any stupid string trees, or can at least minimise the firction there), the guitar will stay in tune.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by mmjohn
Fender lsr roller nut and locking tuners......seems to work really well for Jeff beck

works for me to but that isn't a cheap option. once the mod is done it can't be undone.
What am I supposed to lube the nut with? What kinds of lubricants are safe to use on nuts?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
What am I supposed to lube the nut with? What kinds of lubricants are safe to use on nuts?

graphite

pencil shavings
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Before you put a locking nut on the guitar you have to think about fine tuning unless you want to unlock every time you want to retune (even very slightly), then you will need to buy a locking tremolo which allows for some tuning even when the nut is locked.
Also try take a look at your string retainer it good be causing some friction.
Locking tuners are worth buying even if you dont need the for tuning help (they do help quite a lot with tuning stability) since they save so much time restringing the guitar.

Also if you plan on going the Locking tremolo route spend the extra money on an original floyd rose and get the locking nut and floyd installed at a good luthier.
DONT BUY LICENSED BRIDGES (except for gotoh)

-Hope that helps
Quote by EncoreBlade

get the teflon nut it's cheap to have the nut replaced and then get a good setup on your axe. pencil shavings etc is just a quick and very temporary solution.
Quote by EncoreBlade

Works better than anything else I've tried.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.