Page 1 of 2
hey UG, i dropped off my crate BV150 to a renound amp repair shop in my area for some tubes, biasing , and all around maitenence (i would have tubed my self but its an 11 year old amp and i didnt want to fiddle with biasing and all that). just got the call about how much its going to cost and.....the guy said about $300 to replace 6 power amp and 3 preamp tubes (i chose only to change the non operational pre amp tubes and just keep the old ones that are working). if i wanted to replace all the pre amp tubes it was going to run me at $400. am i getting a little screwed here or is he pricing fair? it sounds pretty fair and those prices are including parts, labor, and tax. what does UG think?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If they are just puting new tubes and biasing, Yes you are getting screwed. You can get a complete set of tubes for @$120 from Eurotubes (the tech probably gets them cheaper).So he is charging you @$200 for labor, that's rape.
Honestly I'd get my amp back and tell the guy to F Off!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well i did request he put in JJ's so mabye thats causing the price different? hes only charging 1 hour for labor i beleive at $70. its $105 for all the poweramp tubes......$15-$20 each for pre-amp tubes. sounds about right o.0
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Robbgnarly
If they are just puting new tubes and biasing, Yes you are getting screwed. You can get a complete set of tubes for @$120 from Eurotubes (the tech probably gets them cheaper).So he is charging you @$200 for labor, that's rape.
Honestly I'd get my amp back and tell the guy to F Off!!

and dont forget, i dont have a normal "set" of tubes. i have 6 poweramp and 8 pre-amp
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
What type of tubes are they? El34 or what?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
So the guy is ripping you off plain and simple. Look at the Eurotubes.com, I just did and the most expensive set for the BV is $130.50 and that is all JJ preamp and Powertubes. So like I said he is SCREWING you. That price is for the Hi-Gain pre amp tubes also, the regular tube set is only $119 for 6L6 powertubes, or $99 for a set with EL34's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
for that kind of money i might start to consider getting a different head. i'd at least consider getting the tubes myself and putting them in and then have them bias them as that would be cheaper for sure.
stop saying "normal set" and "euro tubes". i want JJ's, theres 6 power tubes! 8 preamp! i got the amp and cab for $150 together so i stole on that end. they dont bias seperatley, they offer that as a free service. he is matching a sextet of poweramp tubes for me because sextet's are hard to come by. i still think its a pretty fair price and no one actually gave me good figures.....
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
stop saying "normal set" and "euro tubes". i want JJ's, theres 6 power tubes! 8 preamp! i got the amp and cab for $150 together so i stole on that end. they dont bias seperatley, they offer that as a free service. he is matching a sextet of poweramp tubes for me because sextet's are hard to come by. i still think its a pretty fair price and no one actually gave me good figures.....

you asked for opinions and have to realize that prices vary in different parts of the county (and other countries). sure you got the amp cheap however if it's going to cost you that kind of money everytime you retube then perhaps it's not such a baragin after all. there are an increasing number of self biasing amps that will save you cash in the long run.
Quote by monwobobbo
you asked for opinions and have to realize that prices vary in different parts of the county (and other countries). sure you got the amp cheap however if it's going to cost you that kind of money everytime you retube then perhaps it's not such a baragin after all. there are an increasing number of self biasing amps that will save you cash in the long run.

yea well :/ tubes should last me a while i wont be regularly cranking it and the cost isn't so much of a bother. yea tubes in L.A from what ive seen are pretty pricey.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro

Obviously you haven't been reading a f ing thing I've been writing. ALL EUROTUBES SELLS IS JJ TUBES.
When I say normaltubes I am taling abou 6l6 tubes
you obviously don't really give a F what anyone is saying.
P.S. call eurotubes and talk to them, they will set you up with a complete set for way cheaper wether it has 1 or 10,0000 tubes in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Obviously you haven't been reading a f ing thing I've been writing. ALL EUROTUBES SELLS IS JJ TUBES.
When I say normaltubes I am taling abou 6l6 tubes
you obviously don't really give a F what anyone is saying.
P.S. call eurotubes and talk to them, they will set you up with a complete set for way cheaper wether it has 1 or 10,0000 tubes in it.

calm ur tone for a sec and go to eurotubes.com they dont only sell JJ's. they also sell NOS tubes. i do care what people are saying and im just trying to get help calculating what i already bought.

*EDIT* they also dont carry a full tube set for the crate BV150
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Jul 11, 2011,
Well I'm just giving you some helpful advice, because if you really are getting charged $300 and not even getting "all" of your preamps replaced the tech is taking you for a ride.

Unless you are using NOS preamp tubes there is no way that you should be paying that much. even with 6 poweramp tubes, I bet they could get you under $150 for a full set of tubes. So at most you should only be paying @$220ish for everything labor included.

You asked if you were getting ripped off, and I think almost everyone here will agree that the tech is, ripping you off.

EDIT: If you call them (the #'s on their page) they will set you up a set for your amp, the guys pretty good and nice about those kinda things.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 11, 2011,
Holy crap, 8 power tubes? What is it? A bass amp?

You should replace all the power tubes and preamp tubes in one go, and not just the ones that are bad, cause you'll be replacing them later down the road anyways, then it becomes an uneven process of when you need to replace your tubes.

To retube that amp, I'm not surprised it costs you that much. Retubing my Valveking, 2 power tubes an 3 preamp tubes costs me $70-$80, so almost tripling that is about $240 something dollars just in tubes, so labor to bias each pair of tubes, which there are 4, takes some time, and replacing them takes some time, so all in all, no, you didn't get ripped.

Nobody said maintenance on tube amps was cheap.
mmk so i just called the place where i dropped it off. he gave me all of the prices seperatley so the preamp tubes (the 3 i need) are going to run me $45 ($15 each, pretty standard price), $150 to match and install 6 6l6's, labor for 1 and a quarter hour at 93.75 and i calculated over the phone on my end bringing it to aobut $288.75. seems like the rest of the cost is just either tax on the tubes or his labor rate is too high. he said included in the labor would be changing the fuses, cleaning all the sockets, the retube (ofcourse) and the biasing.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Yea im in LA, there an amp repair place called G.P.S electronics in Norwalk. the only place i found close to my house besides those guys that post on craigslist that fix it in their apartments
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I wish I could charge that much to change tubes in an amp, I'd be rich. It only takes about 1/2 hour to change tubes, bias them, let them burn in and check/re-bias. Preamp tubes are plug and play.
But in the end your the one that has to be happy.
I would ask for all your old tubes, even if they are about shot, it's always nice to have spares around.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
forgot to mention hes gonna burn in the tubes for 8 hours....but ya ill ask for the old tubes if they kept them.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
you're not getting screwed over.

It may seem high, but its worth it in the end.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Well I didn't mean to come off brash, but I really get sick of these Stores/Techs blatantly ripping people off. And just so you know the tubes only have to burn in for about 10-15 min, 8 hours won't do anything special to them except shortin there life by 8 hours.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i guess this will be the last time i get screwed then, now i know
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
You're not getting screwed. People aren't reading what's being done to the amp. There's a huge difference between throwing a set of tubes in and checking the bias once to make sure it's not way off and what the shop is actually doing:

-Set of tubes and bias
-Tube burn-in, which almost certainly involves a second bias after burn-in
-Replacing fuses, including HT/board fuses I would assume
-Cleaning and (if necessary) re-tensioning the tube sockets
-Sounds like he's also giving the amp a little checkup to make sure everything's in working order.

As you said, you went to a pro level shop. It seems like they're giving your amp the VIP treatment (burn-in and rebias is great service), so you're paying a bit extra for that. You're not getting screwed, you just opted for more service, which of course costs more. You could certainly get a retube for less, but for all the things you just mentioned that is not an unreasonable amount to charge.

Robbgnarly is also incorrect about the burn-in, I think. Tubes in my experience take a lot longer than 15 minutes to burn in. The 8-hour burn in makes a lot of sense to me, since it does three things:
-Allows the tech to make sure the tubes are good (if tubes die early, they tend to do it in the first few hours) ;
-Allows the tech to leave the amp on for as long as it is likely to ever be on continuously, to check for heat related reliability issues; and
-Re-bias the amp afterwards. Tubes will almost always drift out of bias after the first few hours of play. 8 hours is more than they need, but it's not an unreasonable amount of time.
The 8-hour burn in and rebias (I assume they're doing that) is a really good step to make sure your tubes are accurately biased after their initial wear period. It isn't strictly necessary, but I think it's foolhardy to say it's bogus.
^ thanks for summing up what i was trying to say. and yes, he is indeed providing all those services for my amp because this amp shop takes care of all the music stores around it for a good 50 miles.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
No, the burn in only has to take about 15 min, because all your doing is getting them to there potential heat ( making them hot) to check the bias. You are also in LA where every thing cost more where you live. but the burn in, bias, cleaning the tube sockets, checking the fuses, is what any self respecting tech does when they re-tube an amp. That is not an upcharge, it is part of the service of a "good tech " working on your amp.

But if it is one of the better techs in your area, they probably do charge more, and do a more thourogh job if they are taking care of all the work in a 50 mile area. sill seems pretty expensive in my book.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That actually sounds like a good deal.

1 hour labor isn't shit. He has to open the chassis to get the trim adjuster. They don't work for free you know?

Let me know how it goes as I need mine to be biased as well. Norwalk is on the way to work.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by R45VT
That actually sounds like a good deal.

1 hour labor isn't shit. He has to open the chassis to get the trim adjuster. They don't work for free you know?

Let me know how it goes as I need mine to be biased as well. Norwalk is on the way to work.

will do, but those guys are really busy. like i said, they handle everyone in the area. its a small shop too. took them two weeks to call me back (today) and they said ittle be ready Wednesday. i wouldn't be too fond of this place if u were performing soon or dont have a backup amp.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, the burn in only has to take about 15 min, because all your doing is getting them to there potential heat ( making them hot) to check the bias. You are also in LA where every thing cost more where you live. but the burn in, bias, cleaning the tube sockets, checking the fuses, is what any self respecting tech does when they re-tube an amp. That is not an upcharge, it is part of the service of a "good tech " working on your amp.

But if it is one of the better techs in your area, they probably do charge more, and do a more thourogh job if they are taking care of all the work in a 50 mile area. sill seems pretty expensive in my book.

Don't you think that prolonged exposure to heat is a better test than a very short exposure to it, especially for brand new metal parts? I really don't think that 15 minutes is the right amount of time to let the heat and electron flow burn the tubes in. Sonically, that's not been my experience. Same with bias drift. Plus, tubes get hotter after a few hours than they are after 15 minutes, especially in combos.
^^ I can see where your coming from, but honestly I have ben told by several great builders/techs that 15 min. is plenty of time. I can see the point of if the tube is goning to fail it will do it in the initial 8 hour burn in. And not bashing at all, but older BV models have been known to have heat related issues, so they very well may be checking for failure also.

Like I said I wasn't taking the Cali $$ into consideration, and I have only used a tech 1 time in the last 5yrs, and it was related to a L 6 product. I tech all my gear and most of the musicians in the Daytona Beach/New Smyrna area. And it was because of all the shops, well all 4, charged a mint to do any kind of repair/servicing. And there was the fact that guitar setups and simple tube replacement became rediculious. At one point a guy came to me with a guitar that he had spent $75 to have intonated and set up, but the damn thing buzzed on literaly every fret and they though this was an acceptible set up and for that kind of $$, or charging $100 for a 30 min job of swaping tubes, I do that for less than 1/2 that and make nice x-tra $$ for literaly unscrewing the chassis 20 min of actual work and puting (at most) 6-8 screws back in.
Sorry I went on a rant. If they do a good job and you are happy with what they charge you then you got a good deal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh, I wouldn't be happy with being charged that much, but considering what's being done, It doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to charge. Much in the same way as buying a Corvette - I wouldn't want to pay for one, but it doesn't seem grossly overpriced either.

I wish I had graphed it out, but I put a thermocouple on the power tubes of an AC30 for a few hours once. I'm quite certain that the tubes were not at their peak temperature after 15 minutes. The AC30 is an extreme case, but it was significantly hotter after two hours of playing than after 15.

I think you're right that the bias is probably 'close enough' after 15 minutes to be adjusted again, but burn-in and failure testing certainly need more time than that, and if you're doing one, you might as well do the other.
Quote by EspTro

Eurotubes is a JJ electronic dealer. They only sell JJ Electronic. Eurotubes = JJ. And just because you don't see the figures doesn't mean nobody's giving them to you.

But if it'll get you to shut up: A matched sextet of JJ 6L6's - that's power tubes - ordered from Eurotubes costs $105. A set of 8 JJ 12AX7's - that's preamp tubes - with one of them balanced - which you need, by the way - will cost you about 82 dollars. The bias probe and multimeter cost 35 dollars together. So you'd be paying about 85 bucks labor for a tube change. Are you getting screwed? No, but that is on the pricey side.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jul 11, 2011,
screw it, im getting all the tubes (all preamp tubes) replaced at once, cause the amp is 11 year s old with stock tubes. talked him down from 400 to 375....not a big deal but **** it
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
screw it, im getting all the tubes (all preamp tubes) replaced at once, cause the amp is 11 year s old with stock tubes. talked him down from 400 to 375....not a big deal but **** it

could you get me ( us ) a pic?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
lol...techs charge so much for biasing and tube replacement because it's a boring as task and they hate to do it.

but if you can't do it yourself and you think there's magic in it that's the price.

damn 400 bucks though.

you could build an amp for 400 bucks.

I mean the retube is costing you 250 no matter what. So there's that. That's not that bad.

A retube of my ultra-lead costs me something like 350 in tubes.

Your paying 150 in service on top of that which is a pretty standard fee for a regular checkup.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Tunder250
could you get me ( us ) a pic?

sure thing, once i pick it up tmrw im going to be posting a NAD cause i never got the chance to.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
sure thing, once i pick it up tmrw im going to be posting a NAD cause i never got the chance to.

I only agree to that if you get us some clipz

and a pic of teh t00bzzzz ( working t00bz )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Sucks that it's costing you this much to have it run.

Still, looking forward to your real NAD.

me too!!

EspTro, please tell us when it's up, okay?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Page 1 of 2