Adapting services and products existing in industrialized nations to developing coun?

to developing small countries*

things like starbucks or netflix. Just taking that same concept and adapt it to a country where there is no presence of those things, but a demand for them, would that be a good idea for business?
Last edited by Cocolate at Jul 11, 2011,
if they had a demand and the people could afford it yes yes it would and the company would have done it by now im sure
BUT alot of those countries either dont need/want them or cant afford them and people dont see too much profit coming from it
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm sure the first thing on all those Ethiopian's minds when they wake up is "man, I could go for a coffee right about now."

that's funny, but i never said third world countries. I'm talking about small developing nations with a somewhat growing economy.
Netflix? You're asking if it would be a good idea to try to integrate a service which involves streaming high-quality videos over the internet or mailing dvds into a nation where it's incredibly uncommon to have a computer, a dvd player, or internet in general?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
It's funny,
Because a lot of products we have are exported from these countries, and they are more expensive there.
Take Chilean coffee beans, they are cheaper in the UK and USA then they are in Chile.
I did my dissertation on a similar subject at Uni. Look at Qualcomm in China. Massive political and cultural barriers.
If there was a demand for such services such as Netflix in developing countries, which there probably isn't because the population of developing countries are largely impoverished, businesses would be moving into these new markets. The only countries I could see them attempting this would be in India, UAE, and parts of China.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Netflix? You're asking if it would be a good idea to try to integrate a service which involves streaming high-quality videos over the internet or mailing dvds into a nation where it's incredibly uncommon to have a computer, a dvd player, or internet in general?

That is just wrong, I RESIDE in a country where most of the population have access to a computer, and, of course, the internet. Yet the population is small and many of those services existing in the united states have no presence here, i dont know why because people seem to have a decent income and quality of life.
Also, pretty much everyone owns a dvd player and enjoy watching movies.
Last edited by Cocolate at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by GodofCheesecake

we can market DVDs as lip jewelry ...

#DTWD
These are luxury items. There almost certainly is a "luxury" coffee shop in an area you're thinking of, it won't be a big-brand name though. Big brands stay with Western society because we're predictable and have lots of money.

And Netflix has expanded to many countries and it'll only be a matter of time before it's allowed everywhere. You just need good internet. That's something that should be a good idea for a business.. If you could pay for the hundreds of miles of cable.

It's supply and demand and whether it's profitable.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Cocolate
that's funny, but i never said third world countries. I'm talking about small developing nations with a somewhat growing economy.

Are you talking like Vietnam then? China comes to mind, but they're pretty strict about companies there. I think most growing nations get our basics, like even China has McDonalds, and I feel like Starbucks wouldn't work just anywhere. Part of the draw of Starbucks is the hipsterish setting. But McDonalds has been doing this rather succesfully for years now.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by primusfan
we can market DVDs as lip jewelry ...

Funniest thing I've ever seen in the pit!! you deserve my first lulzstack hahaha