ummm no? for metal i run mine in front of the amp with distortion minimum and level maximum and tone to taste.

i havent really heard of it ever going in the Fx loop, because even for blues i think you want in front of the amp
Quote by Seanthesheep
ummm no? for metal i run mine in front of the amp with distortion minimum and level maximum and tone to taste.

i havent really heard of it ever going in the Fx loop, because even for blues i think you want in front of the amp

I have also never heard of that. The whole idea behind it is to drive your power section further. It can't do that in the loop.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
umm the reasoning for putting in front of the amp the way i do is to kick the preamp section harder for more tigher preamo distortion, it works well for metal.

on the other hand, if you wanted to kick the power amp section harder you would put it in the fx loop because the fxloop lets you place pedals after the preamp and before the poweramp
put it before your amp. either way. for a bluesy tone, run it on a clean channel. to tighten up your gain for heavier tones, volume and tone knobs to taste, and gain at or close to zero.
Quote by Seanthesheep
umm the reasoning for putting in front of the amp the way i do is to kick the preamp section harder for more tigher preamo distortion, it works well for metal.

on the other hand, if you wanted to kick the power amp section harder you would put it in the fx loop because the fxloop lets you place pedals after the preamp and before the poweramp

shit. you are right. I got my amp sections backward. I am embarassed.

I still have never heard of anyone putting a distortion in the loop though.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Experiment with the sound you like better. I'd say in front, but its all based on your ears
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by stykerwolf
depends on what you want to do

metal amp: fx loop
blues overdrive: front

Eh, no, just no...no.

Run it in line, like you should do with all OD pedals or distortion pedals. For metal, the OD is to tighten up the preamp, cut the lows and boost the mids, putting it in teh FX loop will completely defeat this purpose.

Blues, it's still up front. Never should you put a OD or Distortion pedal through the FX loop, it's an unprocessed clipping signal and will sound like crap going straight into a power amp.

If you like the sound of a cat being strangled by barbwire and being skinned by a rust spork, then by all means, put it in the FX loop, if you like a good tone, put it in front.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Eh, no, just no...no.

Run it in line, like you should do with all OD pedals or distortion pedals. For metal, the OD is to tighten up the preamp, cut the lows and boost the mids, putting it in teh FX loop will completely defeat this purpose.

Blues, it's still up front. Never should you put a OD or Distortion pedal through the FX loop, it's an unprocessed clipping signal and will sound like crap going straight into a power amp.

If you like the sound of a cat being strangled by barbwire and being skinned by a rust spork, then by all means, put it in the FX loop, if you like a good tone, put it in front.

The tubescreamer would cut bass to tighten the preamp, therefor it's placed after the preamp which conveniently is the fx loop. iono man i tried it in the loop and it did its job

Whatever suits you thread starter
for metal you MUST put it in the front of the amp. u dont use a ts9 to get more gain for metal. either your amp should have enough gain or your using it for boosting solo's. u put the OD in front, gain set to 0, level/output/volume max and u mess with the tone knob to tighten up the bass to give u a nice palm muted chug. it would not make sense to put it in the fx loop. even for a bluesy-type sound i would still have it in the front of an already dirty channel, roll back the tone knob on the pedal, and throw in a hair of gain. OD in the loop just doesnt make sense to me
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by stykerwolf
The tubescreamer would cut bass to tighten the preamp, therefor it's placed after the preamp which conveniently is the fx loop. iono man i tried it in the loop and it did its job

Whatever suits you thread starter

It's not the same, doing that means you are processing your preamp signal tone through the quality of the TS9, so you're not keeping the quality signal that is coming from the preamp, you're destroying it with the TS9, cause, frankly, the TS9 is not the best at true bypass.

You want to preamp to process the TS9, not the TS9 to process your preamp.
You'd only ever want to put it in the loop if you wanted to use it just to affect the volume without adding amp distortion. You normally run them out front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +1

though plug the other end into your guitar, rather than yourself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?