Alright, so Id like to get a 5150 one of these days and I've got a few things that I'd like some opinions on:
5150 vs 5150 II? I've heard to avoid the 5150 II. Why is this?
What's the difference between the block letter and the script letter?
Is there a particular year or set of years that have the best build quality?

I know that the 6505's are exactly the same, but I'd rather have a used 5150 because of the price and because I find it more aesthetically pleasing.
The II is a different beast. It's not a bad amp (depending on what yore going for, of course), its just different. What do you want to do with the amp? That would help us determine which would be better for you.

There is no difference. They shipped with different tubes, but its been so long now, that the differences no longer matter: its well past time for a retube on any 5150's.

No, they're all the same.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
trust me i have a 6505 and i've played both the 6505 and the 6505+, the + sounds way tighter, much better gain, so go with the 5150II.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
The original 5150's are a little diff, because Soldano sued Peavey for the 5150 being to similar spec wise to his amps, but that was the first run. The 5150 has more gain and is not as versitile as the 5150II. The II has a better clean ch, but I think they sound pretty similar in there gain. They are very Love or Hate amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by matt360
trust me i have a 6505 and i've played both the 6505 and the 6505+, the + sounds way tighter, much better gain, so go with the 5150II.

I agree. Love my 6505+.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Offworld92
The II is a different beast. It's not a bad amp (depending on what yore going for, of course), its just different. What do you want to do with the amp? That would help us determine which would be better for you.

There is no difference. They shipped with different tubes, but its been so long now, that the differences no longer matter: its well past time for a retube on any 5150's.

No, they're all the same.

I like really tight, punchy, high gain (think machine head, august burns red, etc)
Id like to a decent clean as well, but gain is more important to me.
5150/6505 and a boost.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you're going for punchy, definitely the original over the II. It's one of "those" amps that just punches you in the gut. The II is much more smooth/compressed in comparison. Not that that is bad, it's just different.

I agree on getting a boost for it as well. I use a TS7, but any TS will do... TS7, TS9, Bad Monkey, SD-1... any OD with a bass cut/ mid hump.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You might want to take a look at the 6534+ before you buy. They're supposed to be very good and have a better clean channel than the 6505+, but with all of the gain and heavy tones. It might be worth a look.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
the 5150II have more clean headroom and slightly less gain, but still plenty more than you'll ever need. also i believe it has independent eqs for each channel. thats pretty much the difference there
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
this is just a question. why hasn't anyone made a sticky for 5150/6505 amps?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
this is just a question. why hasn't anyone made a sticky for 5150/6505 amps?

thats a good idea, i've been thinking that for a while. you see so many threads made everyday asking about 6505/5150. a big master thread would be great.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by FatalGear41
You might want to take a look at the 6534+ before you buy. They're supposed to be very good and have a better clean channel than the 6505+, but with all of the gain and heavy tones. It might be worth a look.

I own one of those. Apparently Peavey got inspired by FJA mods and reworked the circuit. Much better cleans. The ability to change the bias into normal territory (compared to cold 5150, 5150 II, 6505, not sure about the 6505+) is also a plus (you'll need a bias probe, bias test point are worthless).
Quote by Business
I own one of those. Apparently Peavey got inspired by FJA mods and reworked the circuit. Much better cleans. The ability to change the bias into normal territory (compared to cold 5150, 5150 II, 6505, not sure about the 6505+) is also a plus (you'll need a bias probe, bias test point are worthless).

That's good news. I've heard some very good things about the 6534+ amplifier. I've been looking to try one, but I have yet to find a shop in this neck of the woods that has one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Goodtimes666
thats a good idea, i've been thinking that for a while. you see so many threads made everyday asking about 6505/5150. a big master thread would be great.

perhaps this should happen. id do it but i feel i don't have the experience since i have yet to own one. and any clown can look up the specs on google and throw it on here.

is anyone up to taking the reigns on that? ill help out when i buy one
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I'll do it if no one has objections. Matrixclaw or Tom (I believe Tom, might be Greg or Dave) might ne a better choice though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by iheartgun
perhaps this should happen. id do it but i feel i don't have the experience since i have yet to own one. and any clown can look up the specs on google and throw it on here.

is anyone up to taking the reigns on that? ill help out when i buy one

i don't think i have enough experience with the full line to make it myself. i've only owned the 6505+ 112 for a month and i think this should be done by people that own the the amp. like a guy who has a 5150II does the section about the 5150II and a guy that owns a 6505 212 does the section about that. when it comes time to do the 6505+112 info i'd be happy to help with that. i think it would be more helpful that way.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
i dont think anyone would have an objection for u to start it offworld. i think it would move along rather quickly. i bet matrix greg and tom would jump right on board to help out too. those guys are always doing Q&A on 5150 amps
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board