I have a Squire Affinity strat and I'm wondering if there are any cheap, easy mods I can do to make it look or sound better. All I've done so far is cover it with stickers.
Swap out the Pickups?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
wire the tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wire the tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup

I have that same guitar. So why should I wire it like that?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
well, assuming it's not already wired like that (it might be, lol), generally the bridge pickup needs to have its high-end tamed more than the middle pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well, assuming it's not already wired like that (it might be, lol), generally the bridge pickup needs to have its high-end tamed more than the middle pickup.

By doing that would it sound better? Is it dangerous? Do you need to weld anything?

Yeah, you're right about it needing to be tamed. The bridge pickup on my Squier has waay to much treble. That's why I use the bridge/middle pickup.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 11, 2011,
I'm not 100% sure but on mine I think the tone knob is wired to the bridge pickup, I notice a slight difference when I turn it.

Right now its dark blue with a white pickgaurd. I thought about changing it out with a black one, but I'm afraid it might look out of place if I don't swap out the knobs and pickup covers, which are also white.
My back tone knob is wired to the middle pickup and the first tone knob doesn't do anything.
I just realized I should have put this is the customization forum... oh well.
You should add a bridge on button so you can use either all 3 or the neck+bridge
and swap out the tone cap and put a .033 in it or a .022

also check out guitarfetish.com if you havent already. A set of their pickups will have your squier sounding like a million bucks.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Best mod I can think of for a strat with no humbucker is to wire 2 of the single coils in series, either bridge and neck or bridge and middle. This will make you 2 single coils sound like a humbucker, tone-wise, not so much for eliminating hum though. Use a push/pull pot to activate series mode.

Then do what dave_mc suggested, and make middle tone knob for the bridge, and the other tone knob control the middle and the neck tone. This should be the way they are wired from the factory, in my opinion. And this will be better for when you wire the pickups in series, allowing for better tailoring of your tone.

Another thing, GET AN EQ PEDAL. If you don't already have one, this one will be more than good enough and is only $30 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/danelectro-dj14-fish-and-chips-7-band-eq-pedal

Now if you aren't satisfied with your pickups, GFS has great pickups for a great price. But you should only order some if you know exactly what sound you want first.

Then there's adding graphite to the nut to help keep it in tune, especially if you use the tremolo.

There's other things you can do, like shielding the pickup cavity with copper tape.
Quote by kutless999
By doing that would it sound better? Is it dangerous? Do you need to weld anything?

Yeah, you're right about it needing to be tamed. The bridge pickup on my Squier has waay to much treble. That's why I use the bridge/middle pickup.

well i don't think it's dangerous (aside from maybe burning yourself with the soldering iron), but yeah you have to solder. if you can it's a very easy fix, if not you'd want to practice some soldering first (i really need to learn how to solder properly too ).

another alternative is to wire two of the pickups to one of the tone knobs and one to the other, so you can use the tone knob on all 3 pickups- as W4RP1G said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, thanks W4RP1G. This might be a stupid question, but do all GFS single coil pickups fit into a strat or do I have to get ones that specifically say for a strat?
Any regular single coil should fit, and when I say regular, I mean with a hole on each side. I don't think a Telecaster bridge pickup will fit without any modification. You can use the noiseless, and you should be able to use the single coil sized humbuckers, but I've never used one.

I definitely suggest getting an EQ pedal first before upgrading the pickups.