Hmmm... yeah, 1st post here.. I registered because I'm in serious doubts....

I started playing guitar around 1-2 months ago... I have classes... but the amp I have at home.... is a 10 watt Squier SP-10... Only has 1 Input, 1 Volume, O.D/Clean Button, Tremble, Bass and 1 Headphone Thing.....

I Like the sound of the amp... but it has no distortion... no nothing....

The amp I normally use at my music school is a Roland Cube 20... don't quite remember if its the XL or the normal version... and I like the sound of it... it has a good, cool sound, has a tube simulator, a acoustic simulator, metal, metal stack, distortion and overdrive... plus some EFX's I'm not remembering now.

I'll have around 130€... more or less... I could go a little more then that...

I Live in Portugal... and I don't know of many places to buy used music gear...

So... could you guys give me any solutions to get that distortion sound we got on old rock/metal?

I love bands like Foo Fighters, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Guns n' Roses, bands like that.
Last edited by MaxNuker at Jul 11, 2011,
you need a new amp dude.

and you'll probably need about 200euro to get a decent amp.

you'd be lucky to get an MG or spider for your budget.

for 175 euro you can get a Vox VT20+ from thomann.de and that'll probably give you what you're after.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I'm new to the world of guitars. I NEED HELP. Dempsey, not saying you didn't help, but I'm not familiar with those Vox VT20+, Tube Amps, and such things!!!!!!

When you post, please post explaining detail for detail if you could... Digitech RP90, how much would that be in Euros? And how do I use it?

I'd like something that can give good sound and if it can get kinda... loud but still clean, on the clean sounds, but have good distortion etc, because someday i might go gig with someone... and yeah, it would help a lot to have it already and not buying yet another amp...

I don't know if you will understand, English isn't my mother language.... but i really need help xD
Your going to have to save up. Look into the Vox VT series.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Are there any sites you can order online from?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MaxNuker
I'm new to the world of guitars. I NEED HELP. Dempsey, not saying you didn't help, but I'm not familiar with those Vox VT20+, Tube Amps, and such things!!!!!!

When you post, please post explaining detail for detail if you could... Digitech RP90, how much would that be in Euros? And how do I use it?

I'd like something that can give good sound and if it can get kinda... loud but still clean, on the clean sounds, but have good distortion etc, because someday i might go gig with someone... and yeah, it would help a lot to have it already and not buying yet another amp...

I don't know if you will understand, English isn't my mother language.... but i really need help xD

sorry yeh the VT20+ is a tube-driven modelling amp, meaning basically it has it's own settings, but has 33 different other 'models' ranging from clean to heavy distortion. and the fact it has a tube in it means it [arguably] is better. i'm not sure in what way though, i own the VT50 and tbf the cleans in it are better than most solid-state (no-tube) amps i've heard of the same price range.

the VT20+ can give some rather good clean sounds and at 30 watts output it's not quiet either. and on the heavier more distorted settings i have no experience with, i keep mine firmly on boutique clean setting xD

and the Digitech RP90 is basically a load of pedals in one unit to give you different sounds, the Vox Tonelab also does a similar thing

hope this helped, let me know if you need any more info.

ps: link to the Vox VT20+ http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_vt20.htm
The digitech rp155 is about 64 euros and sounds great. I have the rp355 and it has great distortion and effects.

Heres the link to the rp155 http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp155
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 11, 2011,
In Europe, Thomman.de ships just about everywhere.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dempsey68
sorry yeh the VT20+ is a tube-driven modelling amp, meaning basically it has it's own settings, but has 33 different other 'models' ranging from clean to heavy distortion. and the fact it has a tube in it means it [arguably] is better. i'm not sure in what way though, i own the VT50 and tbf the cleans in it are better than most solid-state (no-tube) amps i've heard of the same price range.

the VT20+ can give some rather good clean sounds and at 30 watts output it's not quiet either. and on the heavier more distorted settings i have no experience with, i keep mine firmly on boutique clean setting xD

and the Digitech RP90 is basically a load of pedals in one unit to give you different sounds, the Vox Tonelab also does a similar thing

hope this helped, let me know if you need any more info.

ps: link to the Vox VT20+ http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_vt20.htm

That helped, but since we are talking about this what is the difference between a Tube amp and a solid state amp
Tube amps sound the best at high volumes, and ss amps sound the best at low volumes. Tube amps sound better most of the time but are more expensive and heavier.
Quote by MaxNuker
That helped, but since we are talking about this what is the difference between a Tube amp and a solid state amp

Quote by kutless999
Tube amps sound the best at high volumes, and ss amps sound the best at low volumes. Tube amps sound better most of the time but are more expensive and heavier.

pretty much this answer, along with tube amps need servicing every now and then when the tubes die.
also, arguably, tube amps give a cleaner more detailed sound while SS are more rounded off.

edit: this link explains it all -> http://community.musiciansfriend.com/docs/DOC-1368

and the VT series isn't a tube or a solid state amp, it's a "tube driven modelling amp" basically means in english that it's a solid state amp with a tube for clarity. thus making it so you don't have to mess about with tubes every year or so but still giving teh sound quality of a tube amp.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 11, 2011,
Hmmm.... as I'm starting playing now and etc.... should i get a tube amp or a SS amp?

About ordering from websites... I don't know... I'd like to get one in a physical store near where I live if possible... but if I can't find the models that you guys suggest there, I'd try to get my parents to order from a website....

Anyways... My Squier SP-10 is a SS Amp, right? Actually, I don't dislike it at all, its a good, powerful training amp and gives me nice cleans... but I think, as I'm getting better, I should get a New, better amp.... I don't know when i could start gigging... but I'd like a amp that could let me Gig with some friends... or if i get to a band, that let me pratice with them and maybe let me gig with them?

By the way, I'm 14, turning 15 this year xD
Quote by MaxNuker
Hmmm.... as I'm starting playing now and etc.... should i get a tube amp or a SS amp?

unless you've got an unlimited budget, an SS might be best for now. though saying that, the VT20+ as i said in the post above is a bit of both so a rather good shout for an amp to get at this point as it will last you longer.

Quote by MaxNuker
About ordering from websites... I don't know... I'd like to get one in a physical store near where I live if possible... but if I can't find the models that you guys suggest there, I'd try to get my parents to order from a website....

playing it in the shop usually is something we reccomend however if it's brand new and a brand you can trust, then buying from a website isn't a big deal.

Quote by MaxNuker
Anyways... My Squier SP-10 is a SS Amp, right?

yep

Quote by MaxNuker
Actually, I don't dislike it at all, its a good, powerful training amp and gives me nice cleans... but I think, as I'm getting better, I should get a New, better amp.... I don't know when i could start gigging... but I'd like a amp that could let me Gig with some friends... or if i get to a band, that let me pratice with them and maybe let me gig with them?

fair enough, while it's not the best amp in the world, you'll notice straight away the difference in quality if you upgrade to a 150-200 euro amp

Quote by MaxNuker
By the way, I'm 14, turning 15 this year xD

happy birthday for whenever your birthday is xD

ALSO: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/vox/vt20/index.html ultimate-guitar's review of the VT20+ if you want to read the views and experiences of someone who actually owns the amp and uses it.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 11, 2011,
Just to not be quoting.... I see... does the VT20+ have good distortion? I know how the Roland 20XL Sounds...

Anyways, do you have MSN, or something we can talk in? easier then always be checking here xD

IF you do, and don't mind giving it to me, give me a pm with it

Anyways...

VT20+ Vs Roland Cube 20XL?

I think for now, that is it...

And, if i haver have the need to gig with someone else... like a drummer or a 2nd guitarrist... can the VT20+ do a good job? like, still be heard and such xD

And my BDay is on the 6th August
Last edited by MaxNuker at Jul 11, 2011,
So.... VT20+ vs Roland Cube 40XL... Too bad there aren't any Roland Cube 40XL reviews on ultimate guitar........

Dempsey where are you when I need you the most?
The 20xl will have fine distortions for now. When you get better, you can get a tube amp and some distortion pedals.
Quote by MaxNuker
Just to not be quoting.... I see... does the VT20+ have good distortion? I know how the Roland 20XL Sounds...

no experience withthe roland one, but the VT20+ if it's anything like my VT50 then yeh it's pretty good, and as the VT20+ is the new range so is upgraded then i'd say it'll be adequate for your needs.

Quote by MaxNuker
Anyways, do you have MSN, or something we can talk in? easier then always be checking here xD

IF you do, and don't mind giving it to me, give me a pm with it

PM'd xD

Quote by MaxNuker
Anyways...

VT20+ Vs Roland Cube 20XL?

I think for now, that is it...

And, if i haver have the need to gig with someone else... like a drummer or a 2nd guitarrist... can the VT20+ do a good job? like, still be heard and such xD

well it's 30 watts, so yeh. i've never took my VT50 past about 30-35 watts and it's a loud ba*tard. to the point that it drowned out the drum machine thing on my fender g-dec which was at full volume of 15 watts.

Quote by MaxNuker
And my BDay is on the 6th August

same day as my dads!!!!!!
I didn't receive any PM :S

Hmmmm...Lets see how much I can raise... anyway, pm me your msn !!! naw!!! xD