I was just wondering the pros and cons of different neck set-ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You'll hear a lot of guys talk about the tonal changes from one to the next. For me, the main difference is I can remove the neck from a bolt-on and replace it, or whatever. It's not so easy to do that with a set or neck-thru. A set or neck-thru is supposed to give better tone and sustain.
depends on the guitar's make and model, as these connections vary greatly from guitar to guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I never hear any tonal differences. I just went and did a quick sustain test on 6 electric guitars I own, 5 of which are bolt-on.

The best sustain was on my Mexican strat, followed closely by my Gibson Les Paul Studio.

The worst sustain was on my Ibanez Prestige.

My Gibson and Fender both have about equal string height and are easily the 2 guitars with the highest action. My Ibanez has by far the lowest string height of all my guitars.

So as far as I'm concerned, string height plays a huge role. Another thing may be the bridge. The fender as a brass block upgrade, and the Les Paul is a tune-o-matic, while the Ibanez is a floating Edge LoPro. But on the other guitars, I had 2 tune-o-matics, and 1 blocked licensed Floyd, and that didn't seem to help them much at all.

Wood type/quality and pickup type probably play a role as well. But as far as I can tell, the neck joint does not.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Jul 11, 2011,
So set/neck-thru provide better sustain and access to higher frets. I'm assuming a set neck would allow for a neck of different wood then, while neck-thru wouldn't, correct?
What these joints do is really a debatable subject. Set necks and neck through necks are supposed to give more sustain because the necks is attached to the body tighter meaning vibrations can travel easier throughout the guitar. Bolt ons have the advantage of being easily repairable and replaceable. Some people have different views on whether this does anything but i think it does to a certain extent. Really they have their own unique advantages.
Quote by GruuvMetuhlr
So set/neck-thru provide better sustain and access to higher frets. I'm assuming a set neck would allow for a neck of different wood then, while neck-thru wouldn't, correct?

I can't vouch for a neck-thru, but I don't notice any superiority in regard to sustain with a set-neck. High fret access really depends on the neck heel, a lot of people are copying Ibanez example and using a slim, rounded heel, which I don't even notice when I play high, it feels like a set-thru neck to me(like LTD or Schecter). In fact, the neck heel on a Les Paul feels nearly as restricting as a typical bolt-on to me.
Quote by W4RP1G
I can't vouch for a neck-thru, but I don't notice any superiority in regard to sustain with a set-neck. High fret access really depends on the neck heel, a lot of people are copying Ibanez example and using a slim, rounded heel, which I don't even notice when I play high, it feels like a set-thru neck to me(like LTD or Schecter). In fact, the neck heel on a Les Paul feels nearly as restricting as a typical bolt-on to me.

Ah, see I have a Wal-mart guitar seeing as I'm kinda "budgeted," so I have a bolt-on with a huge block denying me access to higher frets. I was unaware that it could be recessed.
NO! no, no, no, no, no, no. No!

This is a troll thread and should be locked.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Some bolt-ons can have pretty good access to the higher frets, such as Ibanez's AANJ, as well as on Jackson guitars. Basically the blocky part of the joint is rounded out. Honestly I think the upper fret access is fine on those guitars, doesn't bother me at all.
I read a couple articles a few years ago where some people set up vibration meters to guitars to see which neck type actually has more sustain, and bolt-ons that are built well had the most, followed by neck-through and set necks had the worst. It's entirely based on build quality and materials used, but generally the more wood a guitar has and the higher the strings are the more sustain it will have.

That said, does it really matter? Nobody plays a note for umpteen seconds on a regular basis, all sustain really does is give bragging rights to the guitar's maker and owner.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
This conversation comes up at least once every week. There are HUNDREDS of threads on here already explaining it all.