i currently have a VHT special 6 ultra with an mxr fullbore for the gain. i play mostly metal. i like the amp and with the pedal im getting the tone that im getting. however, i am starting to get annoyed with the fact that i cant switch from clean, to crunchy, to balls to the wall distortion due to the 2 inputs.

so the question: wat would be something good to keep my eye out for for? used or new, i dont care. i just dont want to spend alot of money. the kinda thing that i could trade in my amp, mxr fullbore, and crybaby 535q for and not have to pay much cash after that.

requirements:

multi-channel footswitchable
tube
reverb
can get some serious distortion (bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage, all that remains...)
probably >$500?
nearest city is Nashua NH, with a guitar center and daddies junky music. i'll probably go search around tomorrow but want some suggestions first. i dont want to ebay or craigslist anything because i want to play it before i buy it
get an a/b boxand run 1 input into the clean, and 1 to the ultra. This would make your amp into a sudo 2 ch amp. throw a od or EQ in their and you have a 3 ch amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thats actually a great idea. so would i set it up like this?

distortion> clean
guitar > wah > a/b >
ultra

and what would be a good a/b box you would reccomend?
Quote by andrerist
thats actually a great idea. so would i set it up like this?

distortion> clean
guitar > wah > a/b >
ultra

and what would be a good a/b box you would reccomend?

No it goes like this: Guitar>wah>distortion>a/b pedal> 1 input to clean and 1 to Ultra

EDIT: yeah and you can get a diecent a/b pedal for @ $60 US
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 11, 2011,
that makes sense but the only thing is that i won't ever use my distortion on my dirty channel because it sounds truly awful. so lets say hypothetically i were to do it my way, would there be issues?
Just use the button on the pedal. you could put it like this guitar>wah>ab A lead> distortion>clean, and the b lead>ultra
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The ABY is a good idea, but I don't think it would work. Usually amps that have 2 inputs override to one or the other when both are plugged in.

I'd suggest a Peavey Vypyr Tube, or save up a little more for a 5150 II. You'd need a cab if you don't have one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ya, i had a vypyr 75 and it was shit. im going into my senior year of high school so its not worth me buying something like that and then just have it sit at home while im at college. by the time college rolls around, i'll get a d-dec or something. the a/b box is actually a really smart and very cost effective idea which i never thought about so i'll probably go with that
Offworld92 does make a point that I didn't think about. take your amp to a music store and try the a/b pedal and see if it works, some amps work fine and others will not, but its worth a shot.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate