Question for you guys... do you keep your right elbow/upper-forearm attached to the body of the guitar when you are moving across the strings? What I mean is does your picking arm rotate about your elbow with no translation, or does your whole arm shift down so that your pick/wrist is always at the same angle to the strings?

Thanks.
I rest my elbow on the body of the guitar, and move my forearm up and down as I move up and down the strings. Everything else I try to keep as still as possible.
I play open chords and throw my arm around like a windmill all the time.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
I tend to have my forearm or elbow resting on the edge of the body, movement comes from my elbow if I'm strumming big chords etc. For lead work however, ALL movement comes from my wrist
O yea I did mean to say when playing lead, and specifically alternate picking. Thanks for the responses so far!
Quote by saw7988
Question for you guys... do you keep your right elbow/upper-forearm attached to the body of the guitar when you are moving across the strings? What I mean is does your picking arm rotate about your elbow with no translation, or does your whole arm shift down so that your pick/wrist is always at the same angle to the strings?

Thanks.

The arm moves at the elbow to place the hand over the string and then the wrist moves to perform the actual picking potion. Your arm should be free to move.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.