Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to guitar playing. I've been at it for about 7 months now, and I know the basic stuff, such as basic major chords, minor chords, major 7th chords, major and minor scales, 12 bar blues pattern, as well as a couple easy songs. My problem is, I don't know how to piece it all together, and I don't know where to go next in my mission to be a great guitar player.
So if anyone could give me a list of things (ei. scales, patterns, picking techniques, chords) that are necessary for a solid foundation for being a good guitarist and writing my own songs, that would be great. I don't just want to be the guy who knows other people's songs really well. I want to know the guitar as well as I can, and eventually write my own stuff.
I'm not asking for too much, just some advice on what has helped you all learn the guitar.

Thanks!

Leo
Keep working on what you already know. Start jamming out to some backing tracks(search on youtube) or playing over a drum machine. Learn to play along with some songs you like. Record yourself playing if you can and listen to yourself so you can find out what mistakes you might be making. You got the basic foundation down. Now its time to build on top of it.
Play with other musicians as soon and as often as possible. Single greatest piece of advice ever. I also think it is worthwhile to find a few books with like "lesson plans" and such in them and follow them. That seems like it has helped me a lot. Working over playing over backing tracks like dopelope mentioned is really good, and something else is watching tv with your guitar and trying to play the melody of the dialogue on your guitar.
Quote by katalyzt13
Play with other musicians as soon and as often as possible. Single greatest piece of advice ever. I also think it is worthwhile to find a few books with like "lesson plans" and such in them and follow them. That seems like it has helped me a lot. Working over playing over backing tracks like dopelope mentioned is really good, and something else is watching tv with your guitar and trying to play the melody of the dialogue on your guitar.

Great advice! Playing over backing tracks was my stepping stone to playing with a band. I made more progress the last 6 months playing with my band than I did the previous 2 years alone. Definitely play with some other players ASAP.
Quote by Leonitis1992
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to guitar playing. I've been at it for about 7 months now, and I know the basic stuff, such as basic major chords, minor chords, major 7th chords, major and minor scales, 12 bar blues pattern, as well as a couple easy songs. My problem is, I don't know how to piece it all together, and I don't know where to go next in my mission to be a great guitar player.
So if anyone could give me a list of things (ei. scales, patterns, picking techniques, chords) that are necessary for a solid foundation for being a good guitarist and writing my own songs, that would be great. I don't just want to be the guy who knows other people's songs really well. I want to know the guitar as well as I can, and eventually write my own stuff.
I'm not asking for too much, just some advice on what has helped you all learn the guitar.

Thanks!

Leo

How do you know all that in 7 months? My immediate thought is that its almost impossible to have done all of these things to a nearly refined level.

Can you share more about your skill sets, because this is quite a claim. I'm particularly concerned with the quality of your knowledge and abilities in practice, as opposed to "having knowledge" of them.

Do you have any recordings or videos of your playing? It would be easy to advise you. I did this very thing to someone yesterday who made a lot of claims, but when I heard their recordings...wow...they were missing a LOT, and its easy to hear what that person needed.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
How do you know all that in 7 months? My immediate thought is that its almost impossible to have done all of these things to a nearly refined level.

Can you share more about your skill sets, because this is quite a claim. I'm particularly concerned with the quality of your knowledge and abilities in practice, as opposed to "having knowledge" of them.

Do you have any recordings or videos of your playing? It would be easy to advise you. I did this very thing to someone yesterday who made a lot of claims, but when I heard their recordings...wow...they were missing a LOT, and its easy to hear what that person needed.

Best,

Sean

Well let me rephrase my past statement. I know SOME of those things. Bits and pieces, but there is A LOT of gaps in my knowledge, and I don't really understand how a lot of it works. So I guess I'm just trying to get to the point where I know those things in full and actually understand what it all means so I can start building skills onto my foundation.
Learn more songs, and you should see how these things fit together.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Leonitis1992
Well let me rephrase my past statement. I know SOME of those things. Bits and pieces, but there is A LOT of gaps in my knowledge, and I don't really understand how a lot of it works. So I guess I'm just trying to get to the point where I know those things in full and actually understand what it all means so I can start building skills onto my foundation.

What songs do you know?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
What songs do you know?

Best,

Sean

The most difficult song that I can play all the way through is "She Talks to Angels" by The Black Crowes. Then I know a few other basic ones, like some Daughtry and other cheese rock. As well as bits and pieces of other songs like "I Don't Need no Doctor." by John Scofield/John Mayer.
Quote by Leonitis1992
The most difficult song that I can play all the way through is "She Talks to Angels" by The Black Crowes. Then I know a few other basic ones, like some Daughtry and other cheese rock. As well as bits and pieces of other songs like "I Don't Need no Doctor." by John Scofield/John Mayer.

re: Angels - Do you know it, play it in their original (alternate) tuning, or E standard?

Hard to tell, but if those are the songs you know, my thought is you're still on the basics. Learn more songs. They facilitate chords and their changes, and rhythms.

Learning songs is one way to get an idea of what makes songs sound good, as you make certain observations of chords and their tendencies, even on a non theory level. As far as wanting to write and understand, have you ever considered getting a private teacher? How have you learned what you know to this point?

Best,

Sean
As Sean said, when i first read that i thought - Wow big claim.

But if you want to piece it all together, read about common chord progressions and write one yourself. Record it, then play your major/minor scales over it. If you want to take it further, you can practice modulating some stuff.

If you've properly learned all the stuff you've said you should know about circle of fifths, intervals, their names and what they sound like, possibly C-A-G-E-D system, blues scale (if you've learned 12 bar blues its safe to assume you played a blues scale before), basic arpeggio's and how they're linked to your chords (very useful when combined with scales as you can get across the fretboard nicely with them).

I think if you need to be told to play along to songs, guitar isnt your thing, but im guessing you like to play along to stuff. My advice here is play to everything and anything. I put my itunes on shuffle, play to anything from Jason Derulo to Jimi Hendrix - picking out the key, the chord progression, and add stuff of my own in there. Sometimes, playing to those big pop tracks are so much fun. Its very useful in being versatile, so if you persue a career in being a session guitarist or do festival work for artists you're already knowledgable in how those songs are structured.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Keep practicing.

play with other musicians.

and the one thing that really helped me: get a metronome. Unless guitar players dont need to stay on time....
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Well guys, you have so far given me everything I've been wanting in terms of guidance. You all made me realize how much I really don't know, so now I know I need to start from the beginning and learn everything in depth. From the sound of it, I should be learning all the intervals, major and minor scales in depth, common chord progressions, and songs in order to see how music fits together. As well as playing with people and Jam tracks.

W4T3V3R, I do like to play along with songs and jam tracks as much as possible. I've been a drummer for about 7 years now so I've always loved playing with other people.

Sean, I have considered a private instructor, but at this point I'm a college student and I cannot afford that kind of instruction. So far I've learned from mostly the internet, including Guitartricks.com, youtube, different free lesson websites, and this course called Jamorama, which, despite the goofy name, is actually pretty awesome. I just bought it. I also have a neighbor with 25+ years of guitar experience who gives me pointers sometimes.
Quote by Leonitis1992

Sean, I have considered a private instructor, but at this point I'm a college student and I cannot afford that kind of instruction. So far I've learned from mostly the internet, including Guitartricks.com, youtube, different free lesson websites, and this course called Jamorama, which, despite the goofy name, is actually pretty awesome. I just bought it. I also have a neighbor with 25+ years of guitar experience who gives me pointers sometimes.

A lot of guys are in your shoes. I understand.,

I also mentor guitarists in your situation, and it's free so feel free to add that to your list of available options.

Best,

Sean