I read that you can make the back tone knob on the Suqier Afinnity Strat control the bridge pickup. The back tone knob on my guitar controls the middle pickup and the front tone knob doesn't control anything. So how would I make that mod?

And are there any other good mods that don't require welding and money?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999

And are there any other good mods that don't require welding

Yeah, all of them.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
If your really tight on $$ Guitarfetish has the best prices I have found, but still maintains a diecent Quality. Changing the Vol and tone pots, would be cheap and very effective.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Now how would I do that mod that I was talking about?
the front tone knob controls the bridge pickup, but as the pups on squiers aren't the best you might not be able to hear it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
the front tone knob controls the bridge pickup, but as the pups on squiers aren't the best you might not be able to hear it.

My information says that the bridge pickup does not have a tone control on Fender or Squier strats. The tone controls are for the middle and neck pickups. A lot of people do a simple mod to wire the bridge pickup into the tone control for the middle pickup so that tone knob controls both.
Quote by katalyzt13
My information says that the bridge pickup does not have a tone control on Fender or Squier strats. The tone controls are for the middle and neck pickups. A lot of people do a simple mod to wire the bridge pickup into the tone control for the middle pickup so that tone knob controls both.

How do I do that mod?
Quote by katalyzt13

my bad, i do mean the neck pickup.

it's late.

sorry!

but my point still stands about the quality of said pickups.
Quote by kutless999
How do I do that mod?

If you google search "wire tone knob to bridge pickup on a strat" you should get some pretty good directions. I've never had to do it before, but it would just require you to solder the right wire from the bridge pickup to the tone knob.
Quote by katalyzt13
If you google search "wire tone knob to bridge pickup on a strat" you should get some pretty good directions. I've never had to do it before, but it would just require you to solder the right wire from the bridge pickup to the tone knob.

Man, I don't know how to weld. I'll just get some new pickups.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
Darn, I don't know how to weld. I'll just get some new pickups.

you do know you're gonna need to weld them in. and new pickups might be not what you're after so why throw a bunch of money away that might not help you?
besides, even new pickups won't allow you to control the brodge p-up with the bottom tone knob...
I know, but it will make my guitar sound better. I know people who I think can put pickups in.
Its quite easy actually. If I new exactly what model squier you have, I could show you with a schematic. (is it HSS or SSS?)

Basically what you do is connect two terminals on the 5 way switch. One of the terminals should have a wire going to the tone control, and one should be empty, you wire those together. You wouldn't necesarrily have to solder(this is the term for "welding" electronics) them together, but that would be a better long term solution. If you know someone that can solder, they could show you how or do it for you.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Its quite easy actually. If I new exactly what model squier you have, I could show you with a schematic. (is it HSS or SSS?)

Basically what you do is connect two terminals on the 5 way switch. One of the terminals should have a wire going to the tone control, and one should be empty, you wire those together. You wouldn't necesarrily have to solder(this is the term for "welding" electronics) them together, but that would be a better long term solution. If you know someone that can solder, they could show you how or do it for you.

How do you know if it's HSS or SSS? And thanks for the instructions.
HSS= Humbucker in the bridge, single coils for neck and middle.

SSS= All single coils.

I think you mean soldering, not welding, which is a totally different thing.

I'd like to do this mod myself, so Wylde if you can post the schematic for an SSS I will love you forever no homo.
You could run a second wire from the pot, or you could just jump it on the switch... Like so (sorry for bad pic quality, had to blow it up):

Just do what it says in red. So that the final product does this (connects the two lugs of the swtich, via a small piece of wire):
Wheres the other wire? I only see one. Is there a video of this somewhere?
Quote by kutless999
Wheres the other wire? I only see one. Is there a video of this somewhere?

Other wire? You don't need to run another wire, you just need connect the 2 lugs on that switch like I showed in the pictures.
It is a good pic, gives good detail for standard wiring. Its not mine, just something I found in google, I only added the red line and arrow.

If anyone ever needs diagrams for Fender guitars, Fender's website has wiring diagrams for all their guitars. They are the same as the first picture I posted, although they are bigger and in a lot better detail (they are in PDF). I stole that first picture from google also, and it was really small

Fender's website is particularilly useful for those diagrams and if you ever test a Fender guitar you like, you can find out exactly what is under the hood and take examples from other strats for a non-standard or custom wiring style.
just take the pick guard off and swap the positions of the middle and bridge pick ups. i doubt there is a huge output difference between them in an affi squier. all you need is a screwdriver.

sorted.

no welding or wiring etc. now the middle knob will be the tone knob for the bridge.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 12, 2011,
Ok, I'll take a look at the wiring and see if I can do it.
Is this what I'm supposed to do? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-K8tglKNc

Would I have to remove the pickups from the pickguard?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 22, 2011,
Sorry for the triple post but I just had to say that I switched the pickups so now the tone knob controlls the bridge pickup. My first successful strat mod is a success! It sounds great and it's a lot more versatile. Thanks for the help guys.