Hey everyone

Well im about 7 month into playing guitar, I learned my open chords, then bar chords, power chords, sus chords, then minor and major pentatonic scale, and the full minor and major scale, i have tried different modes but it seems like i got the same style so i keep it just to those 2. Recently ive been practicing on my improvising over chord progressions for the past 2 months. i have two questions or problems i want to ask you guys about. Recently i have been feeling i sound like a robot with my improvising, sometimes i find my self hitting a random note in the scale when im headed into a certain direction, and it sometimes does and doesnt sound good.. please give me guidance on that problem please. my 2nd problem is that when i play infront of my church and improvise, it seems like everything i learned is reverted back to when first started to learn how to put stuff together... please, this is very important to me, i practice guitar every day to try to understand how to play how i want. Thank for you taking time to read this
just keep practicing man. You know a good amount of theory for 7 months of playing, but it's all useless if you cant put it to good use because of your rookie technique. Good job on learning theory so early on, but take a break from that stuff. Let it all sink in. And in the mean time, practice your technique. Running up and down the scales you know with a metronome, work on your phrasing, work on your vibrato etc. Listen to a lot of good music and take in all that you can. Good luck!
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
work on ur arpeggios and use them as a guide to play thru the progressions. think of the harmony of the chords rather then the scale ur using.
I know arppegios, for example on the major scale the 1st 3rd and 5th... they can be good ending notes on a improvisation... and emphasize the chord tones.
Last edited by AlphaOmega1222 at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by AlphaOmega1222
I know arppegios, for example on the major scale the 1st 3rd and 5th... they can be good ending notes on a improvisation... and emphasize the chord tones.

I remember you've posted before. You're a good guy, as I recall and you play at church and asked for advice on leads at that time.

Have you considered lessons?

Do you have any recordings or videos where I could take a look at your playing and maybe offer some direct advice?

Best,

Sean