hey guys me and my band are grincore/jtechnical death metal/mathcore/we have breakdowns and ya we are alot of diffrent genres. but getting to the topic we need a recording program where we can record guitars and bass without being pluggd into the computer itself. What i mean is recording from the computer without having a chord pluggd into the back of the amp in the audio in jack and plugged into the computer. I don't think im explaining it very well but ive recorded before just cant explain it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We want to record our ideas so we don't forget them. THANKS.
Quote by ^SiVART^
hey guys me and my band are grincore/jtechnical death metal/mathcore/we have breakdowns and ya we are alot of diffrent genres. but getting to the topic we need a recording program where we can record guitars and bass without being pluggd into the computer itself. What i mean is recording from the computer without having a chord pluggd into the back of the amp in the audio in jack and plugged into the computer. I don't think im explaining it very well but ive recorded before just cant explain it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We want to record our ideas so we don't forget them. THANKS.

Oh jesus.

Yeah, you're not explaining it well. Either you mic up the amp, or you go directly from the amp into the computer.

Are you talking about a personal recorder, maybe?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I'm not a HUGE computer guy, but as far as I understand it, you need a sound card to turn the analog signal from your instrument or mic, into a digital signal that your computer can save. So I suppose if your computer has a pretty beefy audio card already inside and 1/4inch jack for your instrument then you would just be able to do that. Otherwise, as I understand it, you would need to get an external USB interface. I roll with this guy http://tascam.com/product/us-1641/ Tascam US-1641. It cost me about 400$ and it came with a copy of CubaseLE4. You can get USB interfaces for much cheaper (especially used). But the beauty with the Tascam that I have is that I can record 8 mics and 2 direct inputs, all at once, all on their own tracks. Where if you go with the cheaper ones usually they have only 1 or 2 inputs meaning you"ll have to record instruments seperatly if you want to give them their own track.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question. As you already stated, it's a little confusing, I'm not sure exactly what your trying to do. But, if you want to record stuff on your computer, that's how I do it.

By the way, when I was building my recording getup and trying to figure out how everything worked, this website answered a million questions and was a HUGE help, check it out! http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Quote by NosralTserrof
Oh jesus.

Yeah, you're not explaining it well. Either you mic up the amp, or you go directly from the amp into the computer.

Are you talking about a personal recorder, maybe?

My thoughts exactly. There are alot of pedals that can be plugged in USB. I just mic my amp up and go directly into a small mixer, and into the computer, the sound is great, I use Adobe Audition 3.0 mostly. Regardless you'll probably have to plug something into your computer if you want to edit your recordings.
sorry guys i know im not explaining in. Maybe this will help. I need a program where you dont need to blug anything from the amp to the pc. the way me and my other band do is we plug are instrument cables into the amp and take a chord to plug into the back of the amp in the audio in jack. Then we plug the other end of that cord into the pc or computer tower in the mic jack. I need a program where i can avoid all of this together. I doublt there is one but i was wondering cause we want to record the guitar and bass parts but im both the guitarist and bassist so ya. Other wise we would use the sound recorder on the computer because its just to save ideas. I hope this helps. Sorry i don't know alot about recording equipment, or much about computers.
well if you arent plugging into the computer, how are you planning on getting the sound to the computer? something has to hook to the computer, unless you arent using a computer.

are you saying you want to record with a microphone?
Quote by ^SiVART^
Then we plug the other end of that cord into the pc or computer tower in the mic jack. I need a program where i can avoid all of this together.

Okay, I'm totally lost now. You want to record to the computer but you want to avoid actually have to plug anything into the computer?

I think I still stand by my original post. You're going to need something to turn that analog signal into a digital signal. That's where the audio card comes in. They make internal audio cards I think, and if the computer you recorded on before had one, as well as an 1/4inch jack for your instrument or mixer, that's what you might be talking about.

I know everyone has a budget and sometimes it's tough to scrap the cash together, but I would recommend hitting your local pawn shop, second hand store, or used music gear store, and I bet you could find a 1 or 2 input USB interface for your computer between 30$-50$. Maybe even cheaper. Then download Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=en and you should have a bare bones set up, where as you said before, you can just get ideas recorded.

I'm still confused on what you want to do. But I think a cheap USB interface and Audacity will be the most basic way for you to record on your computer. Take out the USB interface and your going to have signal problems from your computer trying to process too much information at once. Skip the sound editing program and you're not going to be able to multi-track. I'm no pro at this stuff, still learning, but I can't see you recording onto a computer any other way.
Does TS mean an amp sim? A 'program where he can avoid using his amp' fits that description... otherwise, I am also completely stumped as to what TS is talking about.

Edit: Just a thought, are you high/drunk?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jul 11, 2011,
Okay, I think I get it! So you plug into the amp. You go through the amp (out the back of the amp) and into a mixer. From the mixer you use a Y style audio cord, something like this http://images.miretail.com/products/optionLarge/LiveWire/415830.jpg right? And then you use the little 1/8inch jack to plug into the microphone input on your computer. Is that what you're talking about?
Quote by Burgerdoo
Okay, I think I get it! So you plug into the amp. You go through the amp (out the back of the amp) and into a mixer. From the mixer you use a Y style audio cord, something like this http://images.miretail.com/products/optionLarge/LiveWire/415830.jpg right? And then you use the little 1/8inch jack to plug into the microphone input on your computer. Is that what you're talking about?

He said he did something like that already and wanted to avoid 'the hassle'... I think o.O
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
This is confusing but why not record using an 8 track (one that can burn to a disc) and then use that music with an DAW program.
Quote by ibanart300
This is confusing but why not record using an 8 track (one that can burn to a disc) and then use that music with an DAW program.

This sounds like what you're after. I record on a Fostex MkII 8-track digital recorder, then use the MkII's USB cable to import the recorded tracks to my computer and mix them in Reaper.

My PC's a desktop. I can't crawl under the desk every time I want to record a track.