I haven't even touched my rig since February and I'm sick of procastinating starting up again. I'm going to start playing again and start from square one. There's only 1 problem...

I hate the guitar I have now, a Peavey Predator Plus w/ Floyd Rose. There's just one tiny problem, it was a birthday present of sorts from my grandparents. Long story short they gave me a $500 check to get started in electric and thats the guitar I picked because I didn't know shit about electrics and was easily impressed by the shop owner plugging into an amp with some distortion and playing the enter sandman riff. Now that I'm slightly older and know what I want I know a floyd rose is the worst ting on the planet for me.

Do you guys think it'd be wrong of me to trade that guitar along with a B.C. Rich I picked up cheap to get a deal on a guitar that I would actually spend time looking for and trying and would be an instrument that would be good for me? Theo nly thing really stopping me is the whole 'it's a present from my grandparents' thing. But since they gave me a blank check to get a guitar and not the guitar itself I'm not sure if it would be alright...

I really need some input on this
Have a good one,
Phoenix
See if you could trade the both of them in and maybe plus a little more to get a better guitar. If you don't like it you oughta get something else. And since your grandparents gave you a blank check its all good they would want you to get what YOU want. Look into some ibanezs or shecters. They seem to make really good guitars pretty cheap but you should play a variety and see what you like
Well as you said at the end it was a blank check and technically trading it in and getting whatever would still constitute as a gift from them.

So I say go for it.
Peavey 6505+
Avatar 412 W/ Vintage 30s G12K100s
Pod HD500
That's what I was thinking to. Now onto a technical question. what would you guys recomend for $300? I'm only working at Taco Bell so my budget isn't exactly massive. I'm hoping to get $150 of credit from the trade in but if that doesn't work out I can't exactly splurge. ESP's, Epiphones...what do you guys recomend? As far as tone goes I like to go for the heavy rythm sound. Think Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth. I'm also partial to blues, rock and punk.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Last edited by Phoenix Reborn at Jul 11, 2011,
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
That's whaqt I was thinking to. Now onto a technical question. ESP or Shecter?

Ever since I saw it I've been itching to try a Hellraiser (the coil tap sounds like a great feature but I'm not sure how durable it is) plus i"ve only heard good things about the models.

And I love the tone ESP's (especially LTD's), of course the LTD series is a tad outside my budget right now so I think I'll be sticking with the standard line if I go for one.

Ofcourse the final decision will be made after playtesting everything. But I wouldn't mind hearing some input

You've got it backwards; LTD is the more affordable range and ESP is the higher quality, more expensive range. ESP/LTD are great but somewhat less versatile as they primarily come stock with active EMGs which are arguably better for high gain and distortion. The Schecters, especially the one you mentioned with the coil tap, is probably more versatile and might be better for someone such as yourself looking to start out.
Ya the Schecter would be a good choice. The coil tap would be great for you, also look at zzsounds.com they have a 4 month payment plan. They take the first payment when they ship your product an then you pay once for the next three month's.
the schecter would be fine. its not the greatest thing ever (as some here would lead you to think), but it is quite good.

a few other choices would be:
-Godin Redline HB- a little expensive, but a top notch guitar
-Epiphone G-400- a fairly standard choice, with good reason
-Ibanez ART600- good value for a quality instrument.

go to a shop and try a few to pick the best one for you. also, in terms of the gift thing, consider this: would your grandparents be happier with you keeping a guitar you don`t like and consequently don`t play or trading it for something that you will actually use and enjoy.
What about some entry level Ibanez? With $300 you could actually get a good RG used probably. That's more than what you need to start.

And also, it might be that the Floyd Rose on your Peavey is low quality and doesnt hold tuning well. Because once you get used to it, it's actually the best thing on the world for pretty much anyone that doesnt like to tune the guitar every time it's picked up I can almost see you posting in 3 years "When I was just starting I sold my floyd rose guitar but now that I'm older I want one. What do you guys recommend?" hehe
If playing your Peavey guitar doesn't make you happy, then you need a new guitar that does. You're grandparents wanted you to play the guitar and to be happy with it. If you keep the guitar and don't play, then their gift is meaningless.

I say trade it in, get a better platform for upgrades, like a Mexican HSS strat or something, if you like the feel of it of course, and be happy with playing the guitar.
Quote by 1990EAM
And also, it might be that the Floyd Rose on your Peavey is low quality and doesnt hold tuning well. Because once you get used to it, it's actually the best thing on the world for pretty much anyone that doesnt like to tune the guitar every time it's picked up I can almost see you posting in 3 years "When I was just starting I sold my floyd rose guitar but now that I'm older I want one. What do you guys recommend?" hehe

Or it might be because going to alternate tunings with a floyd is an absolute bitch...
IDK if that's why he doesn't like it though.
But you do raise a good point, but, with a budget at around $300 he won't get a decent floyd...

Quote by krehzeekid
Godin Redline HB- a little expensive, but a top notch guitar

I agree to look at these, never tried the godin, but I found the epi and ibanez both played surprising well for the price.

So can I ask why you don't like the floyd? And is there anything else you don't like about your peavey?
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jul 12, 2011,
I think you should do the trade in and maybe save up to 500 or 600 dollars. I personally would get a Schecter for that range. My first electric was a Schecter, it cost about that range, and I still use it to this day. I have a Schecter C-1 plus so I would recommend the C series to you. You should also try out an Omen-6 guitar, I've played them and they are surprisingly good for being entry level guitars in the Schecter brand.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Ibanez is a good brand - I've always been impressed at their quality vs other guitars in any given price range. I personally love ESP/LTD, but that's because their necks feel amazing to me.

In the end, you should go with what is comfortable to you - we can't really help you with that, as it's highly personal, and everyone will like something different.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
1. Trade you guitars in for something you actually feel comfortable playing. Your grandparents gift was cash for a guitar, not a guitar.

2. F*#k specific brand/model recommendations, opinions (especially here) are far too subjective. You wanna play heavyish rhythm, punk & blues? Go to every music store in the area and try out everything in your price range with a humbucker in the bridge, then do it again. Then bring home the guitar that worked the best for you.

Remember to test play through your own amp (bring it with you) if you can, or as close to your amp as possible.

Good luck.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by krehzeekid

a few other choices would be:
-Godin Redline HB- a little expensive, but a top notch guitar

go to a shop and try a few to pick the best one for you. also, in terms of the gift thing, consider this: would your grandparents be happier with you keeping a guitar you don`t like and consequently don`t play or trading it for something that you will actually use and enjoy.

+1

and i'm not sure if that ibanez is $300, the ART300 or 100 would also be a solid choice. great bang for the buck guitar.
Quote by mulefish
So can I ask why you don't like the floyd? And is there anything else you don't like about your peavey?

I just don't like the floyd rose because, like you said, switching to an alternative tuning on the fly is practically impossible. Mine also doesn't hold tune to save its life. While the Tremelo Bar's a fun thing to have I could always do it the old school way and actually bend the note or vibratto the note...think I spelled tha right. Plus the neck pickup is awful on this guitar.

I did some checking around on varous sites and I gotta say that it looks like Shecter may be out of the equation. since I haven't been looking ofr a guitar since 2 years ago I'd forgotten how expensive they were.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
You are wise to consider a trade. If it's not for you, then trade it for something you like better.

As for an overall strategy of buying/investing in your rig? Get beginner stuff that will be useful later!!

How about a fixed-bridge Jackson with a single humbucker?

You might upgrade to something else later, but you could always trick a guitar like that out with any pickup in the world, any set of strings. Tune it to some crazy tuning, ANYTHING!!

Live, or in the studio, a stripped-down, "entry-level" guitar is perfect for that one song in Open G tuning..

Whatever, you get the idea!

You're better off buying simple stuff and learning to use it well. Also think about your chain: Guitars, effects, amplification, and speakers.

Guitars cost a lot. Effects are cheaper. Amps are roughly as expensive as guitars. Speakers may or may not matter depending on how you design your rig.

I play through a PA, so I have separate speakers. Works very well for me.

But if your Mom gives you $50 for you birthday, what about an effect pedal from a pawn shop? What about Ebay or Craigslist?

Do what's right for you as a guitarist. Period.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

TS, my mom -- when she was single and raising me on her own with very little money to go around -- busted her ass and scraped together her coins to buy me a banjo for my 15th birthday. I kept that banjo, even though I didn't really play it very often after the first year, until a few months ago (20+ years total), when I sold it to make room for and to help finance a new electric guitar. I called my mom that day when I got the new guitar and thanked her for paying for part of it. And it made her feel good that the gift she gave me years ago was still paying dividends decades letter in terms of my enjoyment.

So anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying go for it. Sell that guitar you don't like and use the money to buy something new. And if you feel like it, thank your grandparents all over again.
If you don't like the floyd rose feeling I would go with an older Epiphone les Paul (one of the discountinued custom models). I started with a first act hated it. Then I moved on to a sg and then an Ibanez which was alright but I found an older les paul custom for 200 bucks threw a pair of emgs in it bringing he total to $350 and its the best guitar I've ever touched. Maybe I got lucky but I doubt it.

I own a PRS custom 24, this epiphone, an Ibanez S540, a fender strat (mexican made), A schecter 7 string Black Jack, and a crappy no name vintage guitar.
Morally I think it would be fine to trade in that guitar, since your grandparents only gave you money and not the guitar itself, but personally (and please don't get offended by this I'm just voicing my oppinion) I think that blaming a shit guitar for not practicing is kind of a cop out. I started on a $100 first act walmart guitar, that I played for a year and a half, and I've been practicing my ass off since the first day. What I recommend doing is bearing with your crappy guitar until you have enough money to buy a really nice guitar that you're really gonna love. I reccommend a nice Fender American Strat that'll cost you about $1,300. That's what I play on now, and man is it nice!
Quote by StrangeStrayCat
Morally I think it would be fine to trade in that guitar, since your grandparents only gave you money and not the guitar itself, but personally (and please don't get offended by this I'm just voicing my oppinion) I think that blaming a shit guitar for not practicing is kind of a cop out. I started on a $100 first act walmart guitar, that I played for a year and a half, and I've been practicing my ass off since the first day. What I recommend doing is bearing with your crappy guitar until you have enough money to buy a really nice guitar that you're really gonna love. I reccommend a nice Fender American Strat that'll cost you about $1,300. That's what I play on now, and man is it nice!

Sorry to necro this thread, but I think it's worth pointing out that if he's working at Taco Bell, even if he does save up $1300, he probably shouldn't be spending it on a guitar. He'll need that money just to eat in a few years. Check out the Godin lineup. For $300 used you can get a guitar that will kick any American Fender's butt.
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live