Try the guitar gear and accessories forum... This forum's for building, modding and customizing.
Try a Marshall MG, I hear the overdrive is pretty crushing... That might get some good metal tones...
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
Try a Marshall MG, I hear the overdrive is pretty crushing... That might get some good metal tones...

troll is obvious
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by matt154
Try the guitar gear and accessories forum... This forum's for building, modding and customizing.

Haha...

I'd go for either a Peavey Vypyr or a Randall
haha sorry i was tired when i posted and went in the wrong forum. anyways would the upgrade from a fender g-dec junior to any of these be worthwhile? I was also looking into a roland cube 40xl
which one sounds the best kinda broad question but of all the ones mentioned the best tone? also a cab would would be a lil loud for practice
Quote by losing battle
If you look a bit you might be able to find a krankenstien jr and cab for that price used.

Srsly?

I think that's a little optimistic, but above and beyond that - Kranks have a love-hate tone, even if he does find one... I'm not quite sure how much he'd like the tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
theres the blackstar ht5 combo too, itd prolly need an OD pedal for metal, and isnt all tube though.
k im inbetween the peavey vypyr and roland cube. I love all the effects and pedal of the peavey but i heard the cube has a better metal tone. thoughts?
Quote by FenderGuy909
k im inbetween the peavey vypyr and roland cube. I love all the effects and pedal of the peavey but i heard the cube has a better metal tone. thoughts?

That would depend on who you talk to, to me:

Peavey: Best modeling amp for high gain
Roland: Jack of all trades, master of none
Vox: Best modeling amp for clean, mid gain and light crunch
Spider: Best piece of firewood

IIRC, the Cube only has time based effects (delay, chorus etc), but not preamp stompbox models (meaning you don't have ODs or dirt before the preamp). While the Vypyr has preamp dirt box models.

I'd buy the Vypyr over the Cube any day, but its really a matter of taste.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Go for the roland cube 40xl. It's got a great metal tone.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Spider: Best piece of firewood
Haha! Anyways I might go with the peavey....gain sounds dirtier and damn that pedal...i've wanted a pedal for a while. Wah Wah all the way
Quote by ragingkitty
Srsly?

I think that's a little optimistic, but above and beyond that - Kranks have a love-hate tone, even if he does find one... I'm not quite sure how much he'd like the tone.

I've seen them go that low though that's why I mentioned it, because if he wanted to get the peavey vyper the best model is the krank. So he would be best off with the real deal. There is currently a rev jr with cab for 400 on the guitar center site. Id look at that or a blackstar ht 5. If you got 400 and a practice amp anything bigger than 30 watts is just silly. I guess if you really want modeling look at the vyper tube but its size is kinda overkill for home practice. Id see about hawking the gdec on cl for 65 and see if anyone bites at for more money towards something better.
Dean DIME head.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by losing battle
I've seen them go that low though that's why I mentioned it, because if he wanted to get the peavey vyper the best model is the krank. So he would be best off with the real deal. There is currently a rev jr with cab for 400 on the guitar center site. Id look at that or a blackstar ht 5. If you got 400 and a practice amp anything bigger than 30 watts is just silly. I guess if you really want modeling look at the vyper tube but its size is kinda overkill for home practice. Id see about hawking the gdec on cl for 65 and see if anyone bites at for more money towards something better.

Wow... I knew the Krank Krankenstein wasn't great.. but that low is a new low.

Personally I prefer the sound of the Rev+... and also I thought that the Krank model on teh Vypyr was based on the Rev+?

I have to say that the sound of the Krankenstein is quite different from that of the Rev+.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by FenderGuy909
which one sounds the best kinda broad question but of all the ones mentioned the best tone? also a cab would would be a lil loud for practice

The best tone is in your ears. Everyone hears differently. Don't try looking for tone in someone else's ears.
ive played vypyrs for a long time now and have a vypyr valve as my stage amp, and it has sufficient gain to make orphans eyes boil in there sockets...

nuff said?
RIG:

Warlock NT
GRG 150

Marshall jackhammer
Cool Cat Metal
Behringer EQ700
Amptweaker TightMetal
Peavey Vypyr 120H
Windsor 412 cab
vypyr 60 if you can swing it, otherwise get one of the cheaper ones.
Guitars
Amps
I'd try to give a look to the smaller amps from Randall if you play metal. It won't cost you a ton of money and it sounds pretty decent to me (I like the Randall tone :P).