Hi, I play an acoustic guitar currently, but I'd like to be able to play a more psychedelic type sound, maybe like Jefferson Airplane, or The Strawberry Alarm Clock. I don't think just getting pickups for my acoustic would work well, but I can't afford expensive electric guitars either.
Does anyone know what kind of guitar can be acquired cheaply (preferrably well under $1000) to make that kind of psychedelic rock sound, and what kind of effects would help out?
I believe they used hollow body electrics, but most are pretty expensive?

Thanks.
telecaster
stratocaster
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Gibson's SG was immensely popular with psychedelic bands in the late 1960s. An SG would be a solid choice. You could even paint it in a psychedelic motif:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by eatfresh1736
definately some sort of Fender. The crappier the pickups the better.

I'm not sure about the second bit.

Anything that will give you a twangy, planky, hollow sound will work. You really have got a lot to choose from.

Teles, Jaguars, Gretsches, Ricks, weird 60s guitars, whatever really.

Effects wise - spring reverb, delay/echo, maybe vibrato/chorus, wah. Anything you want really.

There are certain amps you would probably want to go for as well.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 12, 2011,
Get yourself the cheapest mexican strat you can find, try to find one with a maple fretboard. Then spend a bit of money on a replacement neck pickup, and get a crybaby wah wah pedal.
All of this should cost around $600-700 so you should be ok.
I agree with a fender, I'd recommend a strat or a jaguer, most likely a strat. An sg if you want to go for the heavier side of the pyschedelic rock, it has a thicker sound.
Even a semi hollow like a gibson 335 copy would work. I think one of jefferson airplanes guitarists used a 335. So look at epiphone, ibanez, washburn, I believe they all have more or less clones.
Anyway, a fender would definitely be my first choice
RIP Gooze

cats