I've been improvising with the blues pentatonic scales for a a few months now. To expand, what would be good some scales that will flow well with these? I've heard about guitarists doing this and wasn't sure how it was done. Essentially, any note you play in a scale will sound "correct". some combinations sound better that others of course. How would I go about mixing scales to make them fluent.

Note: I play blues a lot
Quote by danieliwasko
I've been improvising with the blues pentatonic scales for a a few months now. To expand, what would be good some scales that will flow well with these? I've heard about guitarists doing this and wasn't sure how it was done. Essentially, any note you play in a scale will sound "correct". some combinations sound better that others of course. How would I go about mixing scales to make them fluent.

Note: I play blues a lot

I'd consider using 6ths in place of the b7 and also playing major 3rds against minor 3rds as passing tones. It gives a real sweet sound, in my opinion.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
I'd consider using 6ths in place of the b7 and also playing major 3rds against minor 3rds as passing tones. It gives a real sweet sound, in my opinion.

Best,

Sean

Thanks man, I'll start playing around with that.
It's common to combine the Major Pentatonic and Blues scale into one scale to choose notes for. So, say for a G7 chord in a G Blues, you'd choose notes from G Major Pentatonic and G Blues.

I have a full blown tutorial that takes you through 50+ examples of using these two scale together here: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/AdvPent/AvdPentTOC.htm

READ the Introduction, then work through the examples.