So...I'm drawn to two completely different areas of guitar.

My roots are in metal and punk-esque stuff. I describe my dream guitar tone as akin to "Getting punched in the face." That's where I started my playing. With some fast nice dropped tuned riffs, and a nice heavy pick.

But lately I've been drawn to a completely different style of guitar. Blues. Especially modern rock blues like the White Stripes, the Black Keys, etc. But I'm playing all types of blues now. From Buddy Guy stuff to Eric Clapton. Finger picking, a good metal slide, and deep soul stuff.

Problem is I can't seem to find a way to merge these two genres. It seems like I can only play one or the other.It seems like every time I pick up my guitar I have to make a choice. "Do I use my pick today, or not? Do I pick up my slide, or do I turn up the gain and drop my E?".

Anyone have any recommendations for me or any advice?
This is a fairly common thing for many people. You're bound to like more than one genre of music at some point, and you can't always merge all of your interests into one super-genre that's totally unique and perfectly suited to your tastes. You're just going to have to play blues when you feel like playing blues and play punk when you feel like playing punk. I personally like fast-paced gypsy jazz, but I also like doing mellow voice-leading stuff without a pick. I'm obviously not going to play both of these things at the same time, so I just play whatever interests me when I pick up a guitar.
I actually have the same thing, but I find its best to combine them. Yes there are times when you can really only do one or the other, but theres nothing wrong with cranking up the gain and playing some blues. You could also turn down the gain and play some metal, but that doesn't tend to end very well.

If you listen to 80's heavy metal, a lot of the guitar solos incorporate A LOT of blues. Just do that. I think a high gain slide would sound cool. Maybe even drop tuned blues. Don't be afraid to try it. I honestly think its gonna be the next thing to hit music.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
I actually have the same thing, but I find its best to combine them. Yes there are times when you can really only do one or the other, but theres nothing wrong with cranking up the gain and playing some blues. You could also turn down the gain and play some metal, but that doesn't tend to end very well.

If you listen to 80's heavy metal, a lot of the guitar solos incorporate A LOT of blues. Just do that. I think a high gain slide would sound cool. Maybe even drop tuned blues. Don't be afraid to try it. I honestly think its gonna be the next thing to hit music.

Thanks for the advice.

A lot of my original blues/guitar playing has been in dropped D standard.

I just like the deep tone of Drop D and IMO it fits much better with vocals.

Somewhat glad to see this isn't a problem for just me. Although I wish we could have these awesome genres. Blues-metal kind of needs to be made/revived(if it was made).
We've all been here, at a certain point of our lives we understand that Slayer isn't the only band around and we all jump in the blues :P

Try open tuning (D TUNING FTW) and make the big step, its pure magic
I use to have a similar situation. I feel like posters above already found a worthy solution, though. With my situation, it's not as big an issue because my roots are in funk-rock and I took a liking to blues. Rock is already rooted in blues anyway, so I guess my problem was that I was more afraid of the change to blues. I would always shy away from blues as if was an ugly girl that I didn't want to dance with or something. If you meet a crossroads in your guitar playing quest, it's probably for the best and anything you learn on the guitar will help you and shape your style. That's what I realized.
Between the buried and me - Progressive hardcore/mathcore/metal with a whole lot of blues stuff thrown in.
Not saying learn it, but theres alot of bands which cover what your after so i guess use them as guide lines.