Hello, UG! I have a Fender Strat that I want to modify aesthetically by removing the clear coat. However, I want to keep the paint, reason being is that it is a custom order color from the factory. Few questions first... The paint is a deep red metallic flake. Would removing the clear coat remove the 'sparkle'? In that, would the small flakes still reflect? Second question: how would no clear coat affect the aging process? I assume the paint will fade much quicker? Final question: how would I go about removing the actual clear coat without digging into the finish?
Thanks in advance!
tbh i dont think you can, also why would you want to do this?
If you really have to try this, AND I ADVISE YOU DO NOT, start with 1000 grit sand paper and wet sand the entire guitar. This will probably take you days to sand and not go through. Then if you happen to be extreamly lucky the paint will not be harmed(but I highly doubt it). but then comes the task of getting the paint shiny again, and to do that you have to bugg it out which will prob strip the paint.

what is wrong with the clear coat?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Reason I want to do it is because while browsing around a guitar shop, I saw a Fender just like mine, but it was matte and I thought it was awesome. Would removing the coat do that?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
you dont need to take it off to get a satin finish. Just sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper until all the shiny spots are gone.

the little sparkles are in the paint not the laquer. im not sure i understand what your doing, your getting a custom order color? does that mean your painting over it? if so you just need to score the clearcoat with 1000 grit or something and .

if its a new clear coat your spraying over the paint then sand away the clear coat with 800 grit CAREFULLY epecially at the edges. now someone correct me if im wrong but you dont have to perfectly get rid of all the clear coat - because its clear.

anyway after work your way up to 1500 grit and and sand until its perfectly smooth its should go a perfect matte red make sure you get rid of all shiny spots and then spray your new color. after this im not 100% what your doing if you need a new clear coat on top of that or not.

but lastly a tip for finishing, i did this on mine and got a brilliant finish. Go to an autoparts store and get rubbing compound, i used total compuond which can be used dry, but g3 or g6 (cant remember which is finer) will do the same.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
you dont need to take it off to get a satin finish. Just sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper until all the shiny spots are gone.

This is what I'm after. I don't really plan on repainting it. Not soon. Anyway, I just wanted to make it matte, or satin. Thanks!
Not to sound like a dick, but you clearly don't have enough knowledge about this kind of stuff to be able to pull this off.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Not to sound like a dick, but you clearly don't have enough knowledge about this kind of stuff to be able to pull this off.

Haha. No offence taken. And there's a lot of stuff I didn't know how to do. But I tried and learned from experience. My guitar (other than color) was a regular Strat, but I pretty much tore it apart and installed everything new on it (with instructions, of course). Took it in to show a local luthier and he didn't believe I did the work.
Quote by Mohican
Haha. No offence taken. And there's a lot of stuff I didn't know how to do. But I tried and learned from experience. My guitar (other than color) was a regular Strat, but I pretty much tore it apart and installed everything new on it (with instructions, of course). Took it in to show a local luthier and he didn't believe I did the work.

Nice fearlessness. +1
It might be difficult to get photos that actually show the difference between gloss and satin, but if you can, I'd like to see before and after pics.