So I've been growing the nails on my right hand for a while, and now im wondering what I should do to them.

I have a classical guitar (nylon stringed) and like to play fingerpicking songs. How do I make my nails shape best for it?

Excuse my english.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
you'll probably find something quicker if you google, you probably need pictures to show you better, which i'm sure you could find in 10 seconds with a google search

you want them to be the right length so you get the perfect combination of nail and skin together when you hit the string, the right side of your nail should be longer than the left side

you need to file your nails, which I assume you are already doing, but you never know

then it just becomes a matter of taking a little off here and there until it's perfect for you

it's also likely that your nail shape will slightly change over time as your playing progresses
Quote by mizxou
you'll probably find something quicker if you google, you probably need pictures to show you better, which i'm sure you could find in 10 seconds with a google search

you want them to be the right length so you get the perfect combination of nail and skin together when you hit the string, the right side of your nail should be longer than the left side

you need to file your nails, which I assume you are already doing, but you never know

then it just becomes a matter of taking a little off here and there until it's perfect for you

it's also likely that your nail shape will slightly change over time as your playing progresses

Everything but the bold.

While it's general consensus that that nail shape gets the best tone with the least effort, it's not the absolute best shape (there is no best shape either, just some work better than others and the bolded text is a point where most people start). John Williams' nails aren't anything like that, in fact, they're quite even and he manages to get a beautiful sound.

Depending on how your position your hand and your personal preference will help you figure out what kind of nail shape you want.

In addition to filing your nails, you'll also want to buy a buffer or several grades of sand paper to smooth the edges of the nail out. It keeps them healthier and will give you a better tone.

Ideally, you'll want your i finger to have the shortest nail and your a finger to have the longest while your m finger has something in between that. Your thumb should be the length where it doesn't catch and it doesn't slip through without making contact with both flesh and nail.
ok, ya you're right, there is no exact way it has to be, but beginners in classical lessons will usually be taught to use that shape

I guess I should have implied that that's not the way it has to be, just the most common way