I'm thinking about purchasing an Ocarina seeing as I am a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda games but I think it might be cool to learn it for real because it's an instrument not a lot of people can play. I can already play a few uncommon instruments (tuba, theremin, not to mention a master of the triangle...) so I think it might be worth a shot.

Anyone out there played an Ocarina or know someone who has? I really want to learn how to play!
I've got a few. Never really played them at all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I used to own one. I got it after Ocarina of Time first came out however many years ago. I think I still have it.

It's not terribly difficult; and it is pretty fun to just mess around with.
i got one i love it its fun to screw around with kinda like having a harmonica with you and bitches love it

also it can be used an an impromptu slide for the guitar if need be
I don't think I've ever heard an Ocarina played well...or in tune for that matter.
Balls.
Quote by rmr024
I don't think I've ever heard an Ocarina played well...or in tune for that matter.
+1, but this chick is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jayd7eYYUoU&feature=related
Quote by The Madcap
I'd get a Pan Flute instead. Spirit Tracks is a GREAT handheld game.

(Invalid img)

Honestly this isn't a bad suggestion. I think pan flutes generally sound better and aren't any more difficult. Also, would you recommend spirit tracks? I was going to buy myself a new video game with my next paycheck and I'd like a Zelda game. I played Wind Waker, but would you say you'd have to play Phantom Hourglass first too?

However an Ocarina will always be better remembered as being Link's go-to-instrument.
Quote by Weaponxclaws
I'm thinking about purchasing an Ocarina seeing as I am a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda games but I think it might be cool to learn it for real because it's an instrument not a lot of people can play. I can already play a few uncommon instruments (tuba, theremin, not to mention a master of the triangle...) so I think it might be worth a shot.

Anyone out there played an Ocarina or know someone who has? I really want to learn how to play!

Yeah I play one, it kinda looks similar to this but with a carved face on it.

You can actualy bend notes on them by applying more or less pressure on the holes with your fingers and you can also gett all sort of interesting sounds by rolling your tongue while you blow.
They're really easy to pick up and master in a relatively short time, infact, the way I got mine proves this, a friend of mine approached me in a pub with one and said "If you can figure out how to play this, and play a recognisable tune on it within the next 10 minutes, you can have it."

I could see where someone's mouth and fingers obviously went on the thing, so I gave it an exploratory go and then pretty much managed to instantly play Laurel and Hardy's theme tune without any struggling.

The guy was gutted.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 12, 2011,
I have this one

It's pretty nice. Learned a couple songs like Clock Town (majora's mask) and Terra's Theme (FFVI).

I even made my own in art class when I was in high school. I actually made like 3 or 4. Both 10-holes broke, but the last one I just need to glue back together. I amazed myself though, because it actually works. The smaller pendant ones I made work, but are hard to use.
I used to have a little one but it broke. I've seen one that was a replica of the Ocarina of Time, but it was pretty expensive.
Quote by byob_soad2
I used to have a little one but it broke. I've seen one that was a replica of the Ocarina of Time, but it was pretty expensive.

I have one of those. It's pretty nice, but the two lowest notes are sharp, which makes some songs sound horrible.

This one:
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by musiclover2399
Honestly this isn't a bad suggestion. I think pan flutes generally sound better and aren't any more difficult. Also, would you recommend spirit tracks? I was going to buy myself a new video game with my next paycheck and I'd like a Zelda game. I played Wind Waker, but would you say you'd have to play Phantom Hourglass first too?

However an Ocarina will always be better remembered as being Link's go-to-instrument.

not really, but phantom hourglass is better anyway
If you get one, get a fancy one. The 6-8 holed ones are pointless because of their limited range.
Check out my band Disturbed
I have a few. Do not get a pendant ocarina. The quality is shitty, and the finger movements are awkward for beginners
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by JetPackBlues
If you don't mind an ocarina that looks nothing like Links, I suggest you buy one from Mountain Ocarinas

http://www.mountainsocarina.com

Yeah, anything but the polycarbonate models though. They sound really bad and sterile.

I prefer sweet potato ocarinas though. But that might be because I'm biased as I love LOZ and that's where I first discovered the ocarina.
Quote by rmr024

this guy is pretty great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKKNMHHKCPI&feature=related
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by Ignite
Yeah, anything but the polycarbonate models though. They sound really bad and sterile.

I prefer sweet potato ocarinas though. But that might be because I'm biased as I love LOZ and that's where I first discovered the ocarina.

I have to agree, the poly models aren't the best. Personaly, I'd save up the extra money to buy a hardwood one
Quote by DempseyPunk

Docjazz is awesome. It's his fault I got into ocarinas!

Quote by JetPackBlues
I have to agree, the poly models aren't the best. Personaly, I'd save up the extra money to buy a hardwood one

I'm thinking about getting one so I can compare it to my STL sweet potato.
Quote by DempseyPunk

Thank you.

That was beautiful.

It can be done.

Quote by The Madcap

Whoa look at this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJBGCC6akc&feature=related
Balls.
Last edited by rmr024 at Jul 12, 2011,