I don't play at open jazz jams very often because most of the people that play are a lot older than me and very very far beyond my skill level. So usually I try to pick easy tunes to play on when I go.

The only problem with Autumn Leaves is that I'm assuming I'm going to play the head since its the tune I'm going to suggest; my problem with that is trying to make the autumn leaves melody sound good on guitar. Its a pretty sparse melody, and the tune is usually played as a ballad. So unless I play octaves, which I'm not that great at and don't want to do, I think it might sound pretty boring when I play the melody.

Any advice on how I could make the melody to the song sound a bit more interesting on guitar? I don't know, really long slow melodies seem more suited for a horn player, since they can actually sustain notes and really blow a lot of emotion into it. On the guitar the note is already dissipating from the moment the note is struck.

The only solution I can think of right now is taking the tune at a medium or up tempo swing...but I really never hear it played that way.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
harmonize the melody abit adding thirds or fourths to it or maybe add some grace and passing notes to it
add a bit of spice to it know what i mean?

or add a sustainer to you guitar
Throw some vibrato to make it less boring. Also throw some tapped harmonics in there, maybe quick arpeggios or something. Obviously not full-fledged 6 six-string 2 octave sweep picked arpeggios, just a little 3 note thing to keep audience interest high. Just stuff like that.
Quote by supersac
harmonize the melody abit adding thirds or fourths to it or maybe add some grace and passing notes to it
add a bit of spice to it know what i mean?

or add a sustainer to you guitar

Alright, I like the idea of adding grace notes and ornaments.

But my question to that would be how I would know when I've strayed too far from the melody.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Quote by thegloaming
But my question to that would be how I would know when I've strayed too far from the melody.

Use your ears!

Or if worst comes to worst, look at the other guys! If they're looking at you funny then you've gone too far.
Try adding some chord-melody to those long notes. Find a voicing with the melody note as the highest note and let the chord, or part of it, ring out.

Edit:
Oh, and listen to Stanley Jordans version for ideas on how to play it at a higher tempo.
Last edited by Ulfe at Jul 12, 2011,
I think what you really need here is a new amp.
modes are a social construct
things you can consider:
embellishing the melody
reducing the melody when notes are repeated
playing the bridge in quarter triplets
changing rhythms
using articulations/timing to make it swing more (works well at a slower tempo--sliding/bending into the right notes, and putting legato and staccato articulations in the right place can make a head like autumn leaves sound GREAT--check out some videos on youtube of the basie band playing as a combo, ahmad jamal, red garland and miles's first quintet to get ideas on how to properly phrase the melody)
playing the first A section single note, the second chord/melody
harmonizing it in 6ths
throwing some bop like runs in between melody notes
reharmonizing it a bit, and adding in different changes where the melody note is sustained for four beats (so keeping the melody in the top voice and playing 2-3 note chords under that)
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Jul 12, 2011,
The best thing to do is head out to youtube or music.myspace.com and listen to a bunch of versions of the tune. You'll hear how they manage the head, regardless of instrument.

I have a version you can check out (the head is good, the solo's leave something to be desired in spots though, it was just a one off jam): http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/miked/AutumnLeaveMixdown.mp3

If you are learning out of the Realbook, just take those sparse areas in head and add something that leads to the next line coming up. That's pretty much all I did.
what area of the country are you in? i just ask because it's interesting that y'all typically play it as a ballad there. it's more often a medium swing/up tempo here with hits in the head.

sing what you want it to sound like, record it and transcribe it.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
what area of the country are you in? i just ask because it's interesting that y'all typically play it as a ballad there. it's more often a medium swing/up tempo here with hits in the head.

sing what you want it to sound like, record it and transcribe it.

You know the phrase, if you want a guitarist to slow down or turn down, put sheet music in front of him

My version is what it is, I think is one of those Abersoll (or whatever) tracks. Somebody posted at another site and we all posted up versions. The version they posted up was this one, slow.