ok, well when i started playing guitar two years ago, i fking loved greenday, blink, offspring and that kinda sound, had a fender strat (my baby blue) and put in a s and d invader SH-8, the same one tom delongue uses, and plugged that in to my line 6 spider 120 watt bad black box with some noise supressing and wah pedals.
since then however my style and influences have changed, im doing alot more NOFX but im finding it really hard to find their sound, my guitar stopped working and i put in my brothers guitar which has a much cleaner pickup and stiffer strings, but the tremolo palm muting sounded insane.
can anyone give a small ehads up as to what string/pickups would help give a raw, crunchy, dirty but clean sound that el hefe from NOFX gives out? Even someone helping describe what kind of a sound it is, cause i'm self taught, i dont play too badly, but i know no theory.
literally anything would help, cheers. x
looks like you need a mark III, a mark iv, or a mark v.

definitely need a new amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Well most heavy rhythm is played by the guy with the les paul. so youll need a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge. the clean and less distorted stuff is played by a telecaster. theres pretty much no way you can get both tones with the same guitar unless you have one with coil tapping ability. also, get .10 gauge strings. you probably use .9 on your fender and maybe your bro has .10 or try some different string companies. ernie ball.9s are way easier to bend than .9s from d'addario. so if you want the heavy sound, humbucker in the neck with .10 gauge. for the tele, use the single coils of your strat.
Quote by NOFXscalzi
s and d

So much fail in so few words.

You definitely need a new amp. No matter what guitar you put into that, its going to sound very similar, and not very good either. Strings really don't effect tone, brand-wise (Unless you buy coated strings), but gauge will. I would stay with 9's or 10's, both very common, and pretty easy to play with. As for a pickup, just get a new amp. That's deciding your tone right now, not the guitar or pickups. Just my two cents.
Where's Waldo?
its just the pickups i have now are very hard to get a clean sound out off, no matter what setting a crank the amp too,
any suggestions for the amp? i want something that sounds quite (now bare with me) powerful, like NOFX foo fighters oasis that kinda shit, something that dominates.
Quote by NOFXscalzi
its just the pickups i have now are very hard to get a clean sound out off, no matter what setting a crank the amp too,
any suggestions for the amp? i want something that sounds quite (now bare with me) powerful, like NOFX foo fighters oasis that kinda shit, something that dominates.

Your amp most likely won't give you the clean sound. And as for a suggestion, all I can tell you is that NOFX use Mesa Dual Rectifiers, which I highly doubt you have money for. So you could look into a used Bugera clone or something - though I hear their quality is shotty.
Where's Waldo?
WHat's your budget for buying a new amp?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by NOFXscalzi
Any budget necessary

Well then go drop 2 grand on a Mesa Dual Rec, and another one on a Cab, and you'll be pretty good on tone for, I don't know, nearly forever.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by AcousticMirror
they used marks not dual recs.

S'not what a quick McGoogle told me.

Quote by chadreed32
quick

No need to reply, I've done it for you.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by NOFXscalzi
Any budget necessary

Quote by NOFXscalzi
Any budget necessary

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mark5-112/
There you go.

Although Oasis is a bit of a different sound, very british sounding, I think they use orange amps, although maybe it's marshall. IDK, however for NOFX that amp will nail the sound. I think foo fighters use dual recs, so the mark would be pretty good for their stuff too
RIP Gooze

cats
Well early NOFX used Marshall and pretty much anything they could get there hands on. Now El Heffe uses a Fender Tele with SD Hot rails, and Mesa Marks mostly, but I have seen him with a Recto several times. Eric uses a BC Rich Mockingbird alot, but he also uses Gibson LP's quite often. He uses mesa alot, but I have seen him with various Marshalls too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well early NOFX used Marshall and pretty much anything they could get there hands on. Now El Heffe uses a Fender Tele with SD Hot rails, and Mesa Marks mostly, but I have seen him with a Recto several times. Eric uses a BC Rich Mockingbird alot, but he also uses Gibson LP's quite often. He uses mesa alot, but I have seen him with various Marshalls too.

In their DVD 10 years of f*cking up they are frequently using Marks but when I saw them last year they had Roadsters
Quote by Matt15f
why the hell would you want to sound like nofx

NOFX was one of my favorite bands in High school. I remember when Heavy Petting Zoo came out, my mom threw the Tape case away!
Oh yeah for a Punk band they fu@kin rip, Just saw em in January with the Bouncing Souls.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Foo Fighters are using a combination of Custom Audio Amps, Fender Tone Masters (Dave), Vox AC30 - handwired (Chris) and Peavey 6505+ (Pat). Although they tend to use quite a lot of different stuff in the studio - including Marshalls (the debut was on a JCM900), HiWatt, Fender Twins, Mesa Marks and various Rectifiers...
Quote by Slap-happy
Foo Fighters are using a combination of Custom Audio Amps, Fender Tone Masters (Dave), Vox AC30 - handwired (Chris) and Peavey 6505+ (Pat). Although they tend to use quite a lot of different stuff in the studio - including Marshalls (the debut was on a JCM900), HiWatt, Fender Twins, Mesa Marks and various Rectifiers...

This has nothing to do with geting a NOFX sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
NOFX was one of my favorite bands in High school. I remember when Heavy Petting Zoo came out, my mom threw the Tape case away!
Oh yeah for a Punk band they fu@kin rip, Just saw em in January with the Bouncing Souls.

yea i was a big fan back in high school and i saw them live a few times, but of all the tones you could go for

I just listened to linoleum on youtube and the tone wasn't as bad as i had remembered
Guitars
Amps
just for anyone still paying attention,i lowered my invader pick up a few turns and put on gauge 10.5 ernie ball strings, and just those two things made the sound alot crisper and powerful, much less static and reverb/distortion coming from the strings when i hit them,
peace out mo fkers
You need a Mesa and a short scale humbucker equipped guitar. I would guess that you would want at least 10's too but that is insignificant compared to the amp. You need a Mesa.
Iirc they were using Rectos when I saw them.

And Matt15f, what the hell is wrong with NOFX? GTFO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification