Wow...so it's been a few years since I've been on these forums. So I am a little bit out of loop as far as what the good gear is these days. But I was going through the local guitar store and happened upon a beautiful Orange Rocker 30 for around $600 used.

I've always wanted an Orange amp but they never sold em' and this may be the only time I come across one in person as they're not sold around here and rarely pop up on the used market. However I would need to sell my current Peavey Classic 50 2x12 to help pay for the Orange.
This is where the problem lies, I am really happy with my Peavey and have owned it for almost 4 or 5 years now. I know what settings I like and how to get the good sounds out of it. I got no complaints with the Peavey and it's serving me well. Also I only payed $400 for it brand new at the time. Question is would it be worth selling my Peavey and paying a few hundred to get the Orange Rocker 30?
Is the Orange that much better of an amp?
I guess an Orange amp is so rare around here where I live, and the price seems good, I don't want to let it pass away. However I love my Peavey...

Many thanks guys.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jul 12, 2011,
That is a tough situation; you should try out the Orange a lot to see how much you like it.
Because that is a good deal on the Orange, and you might be able to get like $400 from your amp. But you know how great the amp you have now is, and if I was in the situation I think I would lean towards keeping the amp.
But it's tough!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
So you're going to buy a used Orange? How used is it? In other words, how long will it be before you have to put new tubes in it? You also don't say what style you're playing, either, so it's hard to say just what kind of horsepower and tonal capabilities you require.

So my only advice to you right now is to urge you to really be honest with yourself and make sure you aren't making a change for change's sake since you are already apparently very happy with the Peavey.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
That is a tough situation; you should try out the Orange a lot to see how much you like it.
Because that is a good deal on the Orange, and you might be able to get like $400 from your amp. But you know how great the amp you have now is, and if I was in the situation I think I would lean towards keeping the amp.
But it's tough!

Thanks, that's solid advice, I definitely agree and I too think I am leaning on keeping the Peavey atm. I'm gonna try to go back to the store this weekend and play the Orange and see if I can get the sounds I want. I guess I can always trust my ears, they'll have to make the decision. The price tag was what got me though, I don't think Rocker 30 amps typically go for that low of price.
Quote by CrawlingHorror
So you're going to buy a used Orange? How used is it? In other words, how long will it be before you have to put new tubes in it? You also don't say what style you're playing, either, so it's hard to say just what kind of horsepower and tonal capabilities you require.

So my only advice to you right now is to urge you to really be honest with yourself and make sure you aren't making a change for change's sake since you are already apparently very happy with the Peavey.

Much appreciated, I got so caught up in the fact that it was a Rocker 30, I didn't take a close look at it's condition. From the outside, it looked almost brand new, no marks or scratches etc...I'm gonna have to ask the store owners if it's in good shape as far the inside of the amp goes.

I play a pretty big variety, so something that can cover a general broad range of tones is nice. My main focus is atmospheric/space rock music, so I like nice cleans and add delay or reverb pretty often. However I do like good gain tones for lead guitars and soloing, either hard rock or metal. The kind of lead tones Joe Satriani has is probably best I can describe the gain tones I like. With the right pedals the Peavey can do most of the above, except it's drive channel isn't too great, but adding the right pedals generally does the job.

I'm going to go back to the store for a second peak, hopefully really hearing the amp will make it clear whether i should buy or not. You're very much right though, I shouldn't change amps just to change it.

Thanks guys, if anyone has other input let me know, I'd be glad to hear it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jul 12, 2011,
sounds like a good deal on the orange, but peavey CL30's are almost bullet proof
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i mean, you have a great amp, but the orange is also great and that is a stupidy deal on it unlessits damaged. you would need a cab too.

but if orange is the sound you want, and you can technically make an upgrade for say, 600 bucks total (amp plus 400 for a 2x12 cab?) that is cheap. and you have an amazing setup.

you can try to buy a cb used or get a cheaper one and try to cut costs and bag one for less than 400 i suppose. im just estimaing and rounding off.

but basically what im saying is if you want an orange and can get a rocker for 600 that seems like the exact thing you should do, unless you are really in need of money rght now

edit:

wait wait. is this a rocker 30 combo? so you can get the amp for 200 and thats it? dude. if you want an orange and this thing is in good condition, thats practically a calling.

do you have any issues with headroom? as you will be goin down a bit more in size
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 12, 2011,
Have you tried it?
Its a totally different animal to the peavey classics.

Ive only had experiance with the C30, the r30s dirty channel destroys it, raw classic tone. But you might find the clean channel a bit uninspiring. The cleans are sort of like marmite, a lot of people say they like the natural uncoloured sound, and theres people like me who find it really lacking in warmth and sweetness. If cleans are important to you, I wouldnt have the R30 as a main amp.
Where is this rocker 30 at, so I can swoop in and grab it lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by zeppelinpage4
My main focus is atmospheric/space rock music, so I like nice cleans and add delay or reverb pretty often.

Just so you are aware, the Rocker 30 does not have a effect loop stock. So unless you like your pedals in front of your preamp, that may be a deal breaker given that you seem to use quite a bit of delay / reverb.

That said, I think it is possible to mod an FX loop in.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 12, 2011,